Marshall Style Cab Plans? Specs?

bgreed2

Reaction score
Building my own 2x12 most similar to the 70's 2045 but a little narrower. 26.6" (675mm) W x 23.6" (600mm) H x 10.2" (260mm) Deep.

Regardless of the exterior dimensions, the main thing I am unsure about is the tolerance for fitting the back panel (prior to tolex) and the box (prior to tolex) to allow for a tight fit after installation of the tolex. Example: The gap between the unfinished box and the unfinished back panel should be ____ " (or mm) on each side? 1/8".. 3/16"?... or in mm?

Also, what it the is the gap between the unfinished box and the unfinished baffle (prior to the installation of the grillcloth)?

Perhaps I could locate some plans of similar Marshall-style cabs that would show these tolerances?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
You don't have to make an airtight seal! If you were to take the un-tolexed cabinet and drop the un-tolexed back board into its place, the gap between the two with it snugged up into the opposite corner should be....slightly more than 4x the thickness of the tolex + glue. That is assuming the tolex will be wrapped around the edges on the back panel.

In truth it's fine if the gap is a bit larger. Actually makes it easier to install and remove the back.

So fold a piece of tolex twice to get a four layer thickness. Measure that. You can now figure out how much cut clearance you need.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gap between the unfinished box and the unfinished back panel should be ____ " (or mm) on each side? 1/8".. 3/16"?... or in mm?

Also, what it the is the gap between the unfinished box and the unfinished baffle (prior to the installation of the grillcloth)?
I just made these 2x10 column cabs for a combo to head conversion.
I left an 1/8" gap around the back panel (1/4" overall H & W), but I tolexed the back panel and left room to open the backs on hinges.
I think 1/8" overall for a plain back and snug fit would be fine.
For the baffle plates I left 1/4" gap (1/2" overall H & W) for the tolex wrap around the face frame and the grill cloth wrap around the baffle.
They are a loose fit, but not by much - plenty of room for attachment screws and the frame covers any play.
g215-27.jpg g215-28.jpg

william vogel

Reaction score
My tolex is .020 inches thick. I do like Matthews Guitars is recommending but I make it a tight fit. I make the back panel to just slip in and take small coupons of tolex and lay them in the gap. I run the back panel through my table saw making a light trim to get the fit right. I do not allow the back panel to loosely fit the recess. It’s VERY important that the cabinet is truly square because the panel will have to be cut out of square and that is a challenge.

bgreed2

Reaction score
I just made these 2x10 column cabs for a combo to head conversion.....

Your cabinets look outstanding!! Is the tolex a true Marshall vintage "black" levant with a hint of green, or are they an actual green tolex? Where did you get it? I can see that the other Marshall cabinets behind the two columns are actually black in comparison. This is another problem I am faced with... the greenish Black Levant is nowhere to be seen these days. All the vendors say they have licensed Marshall Black Levant but it is true black, not greenish.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your cabinets look outstanding!! Is the tolex a true Marshall vintage "black" levant with a hint of green, or are they an actual green tolex? Where did you get it? I can see that the other Marshall cabinets behind the two columns are actually black in comparison. This is another problem I am faced with... the greenish Black Levant is nowhere to be seen these days. All the vendors say they have licensed Marshall Black Levant but it is true black, not greenish.
Thanks!
It's Mojotone "British Green Levant" with "Aged British Black & Tan" grill cloth.
The cabs behind them are also homemade repro C110's for my Class5H.
They have Mojotone cheap "heritage black" & RI bluesbreaker pinstripe.

bgreed2

Reaction score
Thanks!
It's Mojotone "British Green Levant" with "Aged British Black & Tan" grill cloth.

They have Mojotone cheap "heritage black" & RI bluesbreaker pinstripe.
The green is intriguing. Definitely more green than the greenish-black but it looks really nice. The original Black Levant is no longer available I guess.

Eric Collins' bluesbreaker cloth is quite expensive but it is dead-on in every way.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The green is intriguing. Definitely more green than the greenish-black but it looks really nice. The original Black Levant is no longer available I guess.

Eric Collins' bluesbreaker cloth is quite expensive but it is dead-on in every way.
Mojotone has a black levant & elephant also, but I don't think any of it is "genuine" Marshall.
I've never tried to do any "authentic" restorations or reproductions.
I just get what I think looks cool, or is inexpensive.
From 5 feet away, no one can tell, and I just don't really care.
All my home-made stuff looks better from a distance... :D
I only have one amp that's probably "collectable", but I've screwed around with that one too.

Geeze

Reaction score
I don't run tolex but I am careful to do a full frame for the back and the baffle [front loaded] so when they are screwed to the frame there is a tight seal. I'm not sure how important that is since I believe there is some air exchange through the cone / gasket.

Like @william vogel says square cab makes fitting easier - for all else a good hand plane for the !%&***!! adjustments is king.

@bgreed2 good luck on your build and please post pics as you go!

Russ

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It's better to have a drop-in fit than make it too tight so you have to use a mallet to install the back. Ideally I want the tolex on the back and the tolex in the frame to just barely not touch.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Not that I have answers to your inquiries and no doubt your are doing what you want however I went with 2 x 1 x 12 Can be more practical on occasion.
1645032540267.png

Mrmadd

Reaction score
May I suggest you consider redoing an existing used cab with your choice of drivers.
In your neck of the wood, GC has sold lots of cool used Marshsll cabs, abd actually GC over the entire 48 states has inventory.
$35 to ship big items across the country is CHEAP.

You can find good looking inventory cheap. Dust it off, replace speakers if needed, or if upgrade is your way.
I have purchased MG cabs for as low as $79.
You can't buy the grill colth to make your own for $79, let alone the wood and other.

I just worked on a $119 B-52 CAB. They are nice because they are Birch plywood.
Good luck.