Marshall Straight In

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. Will have to check out the update for sure. :)

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Friedman runt 50 , sounds like a cranked plexi at sensible levels plugged straight in , no boosts required ( has one built in if required) .

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

^ +1 on the SD-1. Can't imagine life without it! Pretty impressive for such an inexpensive bit of older technology.

scozz, Neptical, GregM and 2 others like this.
  4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I agree,
    Love mine
    Cheers

scozz, Neptical and Old Punker like this.
  5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

My YJM100 is the first amp I've owned that I can totally enjoy plugging straight into ... but, it has overdrive & reverb built in, does that count?

SHREDNECK, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I can't believe more people on here don't use this pedal, http://www.ceriatone.com/horsebreaker/
    It's made for what most people seem to be doing with the TS and such. It also has a lot of flexibility in it because you have 2 different pedals that can be run in either way, one into the other. I ordered one just to try, I know the Klon is spot on but I know nothing about the Breaker side. We'll see when she gets here. I don't want to overtake the op's thread so I'll post a couple vids I found of it in Tone Zone if you want to see it used for just enhancing the sound.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

How are you using your SD1 Mitch? As a clean boost or are you adding some gain?

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. scozz

I agree with this, and for most of my playing life, I’ve done this. It just the last few years I’ve tried more and more pedals, just for some variety and curiosity.

I like the some wet pedals in the loop. Until recently, I’ve never owned an amp with an effects loop. So I’m enjoying those pedals now, some, mainly because I’m a huge Gilmour fan!

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it counts with my Esquire or my Strat as I've fitted them both with a mid boost circuit like the Eric Clapton Strats have. So it's a bit like having a clean/mid boost pedal built in. However, I do often play straight into my Mini Jubilee or my SV20H. Takes a few seconds to adjust the settings if I change guitars, then I'm off.

I only put a pedal board together recently as I got into a covers band. I've kept it small and simple, but it covers the sounds I need with my MJ set on the clean channel, but with the gain on the edge of breaking up. However, sometimes I practice the band set and just use the clean or dirty channel in the MJ depending on the song and it's close enough most of the time anyway. Could have bought an SC20H instead of a pile of pedals. :rolleyes:

Old Punker and scozz like this.
  10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

My use of dirt type pedals was always for the lead, a lot of my amps over the years had a built in bump / boost or 2nd ch for leads anyway though. (I really like the master boost on Mesa amps.) I want a drive boost built in my new Chupa amp when I order it, something like the one in my Carvin X100B combo. It can be used on either channel and brings the whole amp up a few db, I want the same but adjustable. I do like a good tank reverb built in but not digital, the HX I have has very good reverbs in it. My favorite built in thing is a good 5-band EQ, you can do a ton with a good one. Carvin and Mesa have always had very good examples of these, I just don't find outboard ones to work as well. The 10-band MXR one is pretty good, someday I would love to try the outboard pedal Mesa has to see if it works as good as their built in model.

11. Mitchell Pearrow

As a clean boost
    Level full
    Tone half
    Drive 0
    That’s the way I have been using it for at least as long as I have had the Dsl40c’s.
    Thanks Scozz

Mitch

12. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It varies from amp to amp including guitar plugged in And guitarist.

And it's straight in voicing may be the cats ass...or not.

If we're talking vintage Marshall circuits? Then yeah man. So much to be had straight in. Love it.

And when I want more punch? Not gain. I give her a pedal.

13. scozz

That’s kinda what I thought Mitch, it seems to work really well with your Dsl40s.

Thanks Buddy, Cheers! :cheers:

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. Mitchell Pearrow

It works great with the Origins as well.
    I don’t feel it colors the tone much but it does tighten it up, the other night I ran the MXR10 band eq and didn’t need the SD1.
    Cheers Scozz

Mitch

15. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I use an EHX English MUFF'n ( think Plexi gain stage and tone stack in a pedal) because I can't stand the sound of the diode clipping circuit in the JCM602's OD channel.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  16. David Keller

David Keller New Member

Scozz,
    I sold all my effects about 6 years ago and play directly into a Marshall 1958X combo. I play Heritage and USA Hamers. The tone is beautiful.I wish I had done it sooner. Playing clean also makes you clean up your playing. No effects to hide behind.

trax1139, scozz and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  17. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

In my case i dont like straight in, i only have od in front and delay in FX for leads. I think its as simple as it can be :)

18. Andy79

Andy79 Member

Every time I use my amp, whether it’s my SV20h or old JTM30 combo, I always play straight in for some of the time, maybe half of the session.

Currently putting all my pedals onto a board with a true bypass loop switcher (3 loops is enough for me) so that I can easily remove all pedals from the signal chain with a button press, rather than disconnecting stuff.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  19. scozz

Yeah, I’ve got a 7 band eq pedal, and it works and sounds great! I used that pedal all the time before I bought a Spark Boost.

I like an eq pedal, I love the way it can be targeted to increase or decrease a certain frequency range. Perfect for sculpting certain tones.

Cheers buddy!

20. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

When I was playing out live at clubs/dives I had 2 EQ's in loop. Both were set for different solo settings. The toe tapping wasn't that hard and I got to bring out frequencies I wanted for lead playing.

I really didn't use them for rhythm playing. Yeah they do well there too but if you play lead? EQ's in loop do it.