Marshall Straight In

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 28, 2020.

1. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

Think Clapton in the 60’s vs Clapton in the 90’s.

scozz likes this.
  2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yep. Same. A JCM800 single channel still has that distinctive tone even with a volume boost up front. I need more gain for most stuff than an 800 gets, yet I still love the tone.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  3. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

I have never put a pedal on my Haze.
    I fell in love with that amp the first time I plugged into it in the loud room at GC.
    Now it does have some built in stuff, and I do like a little chorus, so if that's cheating a little for this thread, so be it.
    I don't have any of the big monster Marshalls, but I do like the native gain tone on all my amps, and some reverb never hurts.
    Usually the only pedals that I do use are chorus, SD-1, and perhaps a little EQ, depending on the amp/guitar/pickup configuration.
    I'll refrain from making any CODE jokes (I have 2).

4. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

yea my 800 with a boost is my favorite tone but its a beast and much louder than is practical for my situation right now. The origins get really close. Ive thought about putting lower gain preamp tubes in the TSL to see if I can get it to sound closer to what I want.

5. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

I put a JJ ECC802/12AU7 long plate in V1 on my DSL today, and I'm lovin' the change in the gain tone. (straight in, no pedals, of course)

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and RCM 800 like this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

There’s a lot to be said for this!

Back in the 70s when I was playing live, I had a guitar, an amp and either a fuzz pedal or a od pedal,....and that was it!

I really only started using multiple pedals about 20 years ago.

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

In the mid 70’s when I started playing, I had a Sunn concert lead, I use a EHX phase shifter, and one of those LPB 1’s to get better grit, (it was also EHX)
    Then a crybaby wha to get more bite.
    When I got my first Marshall (2104) I quit using pedals, except once I got my explorer, I began using the crybaby again for mor bite, my other guitar at the time was a strat. And it had bite, nowadays I am spoiled by all the different flavors we can get with everything available.
    Cheers
    Mitch

8. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I use no effects into my Superleads or 2203, but I do use a clean boost pedal into the input jack.

My 2203 has an effects loop and sometimes I'll put a little chorus or delay, or reverb, in the signal, but I keep it pretty subtle.

9. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Hey, was that last sentence English? You lost me there.

10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Almost straight in.
    SD1 into a dsl40c

nickfox, El Gringo, K2JLX and 5 others like this.
  11. RobS

RobS Well-Known Member

guitar into TU3 and straight into amp is how ive been playing my 800 & 900 for as long as I can remember

I do have a couple of pedals but find myself always going back to the above - just sounds so much better

12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with that, it makes you happy doesn't it? I too was playing live back in the 70's and I too used a pedal for leads, just to get a little different sound and volume. (It was an MXR Distortion +) Still do once and a while. (I really like amps with a master boost built in.) I use effects mainly for fun, to make some weird noises, for that I find the HX Effects works pretty good. I like trying different styles of pedals for a sound, such as reverb or delay and the HX has a ton in it. I think the new 3.0 update has 44 dirt / boost pedals!

13. Jethro Rocker

Stupid typos on that damn tablet. Sigh... "more gain for most stuff...." it should read

I need to read before I post.

I should add - that is for the 800s. For pretty well all my other amps, it's no boost. I use reverb in the loop or onboard and wah etc but sparingly so they are straight in, essentially.

14. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Pretty much always strait in for me. I think the amps that are keepers have everything in the amps circuit on their own basically. Have TS,SD1, Klon Cl, EQ for very minor Eq bumps if needed. Prefer the amps circuit on its own & use guitar knobs. This final studio line up was built in a progression of gain basically. Then speakers & cabs to dial in with right guitar for task at hand

scozz, Old Punker, trax1139 and 2 others like this.
  15. Kody

Kody Active Member

I was always a straight in kind of guy mostly. But all my previous amps had built in reverb. My jubilee has none so I recently bought a good reverb pedal to put in the loop just to add some flavor for recording. Once it’s cranked up it doesn’t need anything but the reverb helps sweeten the tone for low volume stuff. And I can’t crank it loud very often unfortunately

16. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

I have the HX Stomp I run along with my standalone pedals with my Origin 20H in 4CM and it's great. I only use it for reverb mostly sometimes delay in the loop and mostly octavers,pitch shifters, harmonizers and synths in the front. I don't use any of the dirt, OD's or amp cab sims. I get all that from real pedals and real amp and cabs.

It was a far cheaper, better and compact option than getting say a Boss PS6, Boss SY1000 and Digitech Whammy 5 for all those needs. I don't use those features very often but I can when I want at any time and it functions like a traditional stomp pedal. No noticeable loss of tone with my board from when I do run just guitar straight into amp so I just leave it all plugged in all the time ready to go.

From your post before.
    The Origin 20H w/a pair of Greenbacks fits the bill exactly for all my needs. It covers everything I play from the 70's-80's in spades (that's all I love to play anyways). So I'm set on amps for the foreseeable future. The Origin has all the tones I wanted and love in an amp and the pedals are just icing on the cake. I would still use the TS and Rat to push the Chupacabra you mentioned it's just a tone combination I love. I don't need anything over 20 watts anymore anyways, those days are long behind me. Been suffering from horribly loud non stop chronic tinnitus for 15+ years now. I'm not going into the whole debate of bigger can do better or as good at low volume either. :)

FYI
    I don't use any pedals with my Mustang besides my homemade footswitch. I programed my own presets back when they 1st came out and stuck with them ever since. Ditching the FRFR speaker for a Celestion Eight 15 and turning off cab sims helped it out tremendously as well, makes it sound much more natural. I don't use headphones with it or the Aux in so no loss there. Great little amp for the money once setup to personal taste.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Oh i could not agree more . Before 2015 i had my Fender amps which were and are all about the clean twangy sound . Then i get the 2555X and all the overdrive/distortion boxes were retired and i don't miss them or need them . I want that rich tube sound au-natural . I think some folks that are not able to fully take advantage of the volume knob then use the pedals to get there

18. Jethro Rocker

With amps like the jubilee, JVM, 6101 (mostly) TSL, a boost up front is not required. It does tighten things up and a little less compression with the TSL though. I am a higher gain guy so I need plenty in the amp itself.

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  19. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I wish there was a no limit on the amps gain , but it works like a beauty .

20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Don't know if you know but, the Line 6 stuff like my HX Effects just got a 3.0 update which I just downloaded. We'll see how it works tonight but it added a bunch more pedals, most I'll probably never use either, but we'll see what new toys we have. I had the LT unit but I don't care for the amps or speakers and stuff, just wanted a pile of pedals to pick from should I need one. The HX has all the pedals of the LT plus it's smaller and simpler. I still have the FX-8 from Fractal also, they are the best sounding I think, but a little complicated to run.