Marshall Straight In

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 28, 2020.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The last week or so I’ve been playing my SC20 straight in, no pedals. I haven’t done this since I first bought the amp, almost two years ago now.

Usually I’ll have 6 pedals on my board,...an OD9 and a SD1 in front, and a Spark boost, eq, chorus, delay in the loop.

So I’ve got the loop off and I’m straight in and it’s great! It’s really nice to go really simple in your signal path, I mean literally the guitar and the amp, and have it sound so good!

Man I’m just leaving it like this for rhythm parts for a while, I’m really enjoying it.

You guys with pedals, ever 86 the pedals for a while? Or anyone really, what’s your path?

2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Well easy enuff to do I suppose however I am changing up guitars quite a bit and a guitar change normally indicates a song change and both changes indicate a tone change and you either start to always fiddle with the amps EQ are what have you or you step on a pedal.
    BP

3. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

I have an SV20H. I like to go straight in sometimes too. Either with PAF style LP or LP with Pearly Gates. Go clean raw PAF normal up, or gritty PG with the high gain up. Beautiful. I have lots of pedals, lots. But there is some pure joy in nothing but a guitar/amp/cab.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  4. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

Echo! The last few days I've been experimenting with the Marshalls without my SD-1. Typically, the Boss just lets me get the final grit with clear, articulate notes ringing out. A Marshall marriage between amp and pedal.

But cranking the gain and moving some air sounds glorious.

I love it, but there's pixie dust in the SD-1 and Marshall combo. No matter how much bite I draw out of the amp, that SD-1 just gives me that exact spongeiness that goes SO WELL with it.

5. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

I used to go straight into my 1987x for quite a while until our singer complained about the volume. I used a Weber Mass after that but wore that out. Then I went back to my 2203 when we started gigging more as I could control the overall volume better. I recently built two jtm45’s and they seem to be the sweet spot for rehearsals. Loud enough to cut through a band mix but not overwhelming, very touch sensitive for rhythm and dynamics and you can actually use a clean boost for solos for a jump in volume. Also, as I get older and my technique improves I find I appreciate the sound of a guitar and amp without a bunch of signal processing.

SHREDNECK, twangsta, AndyD and 8 others like this.
  6. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I can with my TSL. With 2204 clone and origin 20's have to be pretty wound up before I get the sustain I like strait in so I prefer to hit them in the front with boost or overdrive to save my ears.

7. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP:
    I sometimes go straight in with no effects of any kind (not even the built-in reverb). For some recording, I'll do a straight guitar+amp+cab for one track, then record a second track with effects in the signal chain; the difference is very noticeable. With guitar+amp+cab, I can add effects later when doing the mix down.

My signal chain goes guitar->tuner->noise gate->amp input; in the loop its just a multi-effects system or a rack effects system. After that, it's off to the cab.

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have just done a (kind of straight in ) on my Dsl40c’s, but I used the MXR10 band eq, I like what I hear from it , because most of my clips are using the Vox Tone Lab, and I always hit the delay ..
    Cheers

SHREDNECK, Old Punker, tce63 and 4 others like this.
  9. LargeBoxSmallBox

LargeBoxSmallBox Well-Known Member

I rarely play with pedals. I love the sound of my Marshalls so much, I usually feel that pedals take something away. I do like to play through pedals sometimes, but the pure, unadulterated sound of a great Marshall is really hard to beat! :2c:

10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I always use some FX when playing (a little reverb, at minimum), unless I'm tweaking (modding) an amp. I never use FX when recording (can't remove, but can always add).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I don't like using pedals at all. In fact, this is why I have gone through so many amps. If the amp is not capable of doing what I want without a boost pedal of any kind I just sell it and move on. It always seems funny to me when people rave about an amp but are using a bunch of pedals to get the sound they want. In other words, the amp simply will NOT do what they want without boosting the hell out of it. Therefore the "raving" they are doing is misplaced and should be directed towards the whole set up. (Not the amp.)
    I think pedals should be used to enhance the sound, not make it. When you find an amp you like so much you don't want or need to boost it, it's a magical experience. Some types of music of course need such things, like some metal stuff, but even then there are amps out there that can put a smile on your face.

AndyD, matttornado, Greg70 and 9 others like this.
  12. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

Wise perspective and astute observations, right there!!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

13. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I only add pedals to my signal chain during church gigs.... other than that, I love the rawness of guitar plugged straight through....

14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thanks Gene.

15. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

OK so I'm an at home hacker, I can get pretty similar tones from clean channel boosted or UG channel with gain at 3 or so compared to 10.
    Should I then hit my foot switch twice to change easily to where I want the UG channel set for some stuff, or go to the amp, lean over, lose my pick, change the gain selector and then refind said pick, so I can be more of a purist?

Old Punker and Edgar Frog like this.
  16. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

1955 straight in maybe.
    2020-21, nah.

Old Punker likes this.
  17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Sounds to me you should first glue your pick to your thumb, you seem to have trouble approaching the amp. After that, there is no "wrong" way to do any of this, as long as it makes you happy. I'm just a home hack these days myself, but I enjoy well made equipment and like to use it for what I bought it for. I also like to keep things simple. If the way I like to do it does not work well for you, try not using it.

CraigP likes this.
  18. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

On my note. I'll probably be waiting quite a long while to find a plexi style tube amp that sounds like it's being pushed by a Rat or TS9 without any pedals and doesn't have the pedals built into the circuit. Sometimes it's the magic of the combination and not that someone isn't a purist or has the wrong amp to do the job. We use what does what we need and want in tone. That there is where the real magic is. I never understood why people think like you do but I certainly wont fault you for it. :)

19. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

On all my amps I use the same pedalboard (few ODs, boost, reverb, chorus, wah, tuner) nothing all that fancy. They are all true bypass. Anyway, I really dont hear a difference with everything off or just plugging straight in. I do like to have a very small touch of reverb & delay on at all times. So little its barely noticeable, I just like how it takes the edge off ever so slightly.

20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Try a Chupacabra amp if you get a chance, super sweet. (No Rat, No TS) Not sure why you guys think I'm some purist? I simply said if the amp your using won't make the sound your after without help, why rave about that amp? By itself it is not capable of doing what you want. It IS your "set up" that you like the sound of, not the amp itself. In my set up it's the amp I like the most. Either way it does not matter at all. Don't worry about what I like, just please your ear. If your happy with a Fender Mustang hooked to 46 pedals use it. I do know if I were a big pedal guy I would have a super simple clean amp like a Dr. Z or something with just vol. and tone. Then all my drive and tones would come from pedals. I'm working on a 2 ch Chupacabra amp right now so unless I want some echo or delay I won't need any pedals, but that's just me.