Marshall sounding low volume practice amp?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by malice95, Sep 4, 2020.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Well I'm going to shoot fairly low with a Valvestate recommendation.

I bought this 2nd hand Mk II Valvestate VS65R.
    https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/pro...ate-vs65r-with-cover-2nd-hand-ymarshall87941/
    They are cheap (mine was £69, with a cover!) and small (20 1/2" W, 18" T), but may be difficult to find (1997).
    It is officially a Solid State 2 channel non-MV amp, but the single 12AX7 in the preamp is part of the signal chain in both channels.
    Also, the FX Mix knob for the series/parallel loop can be used as a reverse MV if there is nothing connected to the FX loop.
    0 = fully parallel (full volume), 10 = fully series (volume off), so it can be used very quietly.
    If you just want a cheap, quiet Marshall (and it sounds like a Marshall) for late night practice, you can't go wrong.

2. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

The mini mass will be your answer if your staying with the Studio Classic amps for home practice. I have the SV and the SC with the matching 2X12 cabs for each and the mini mass 50 is a nessesity when playing at home. Even if your the only one there and you have no neighbors, the Studio Classics are loud enough to numb your ears a little if your pushing them to the sweet spot. You don’t want that on an everyday basis. The mini mass solves this and is the best attenuator I’ve used up to this point.

I recently purchased the Headrush Pedalboard and the Headrush frfr 112, so here lately I’ve been using that at home. It will never take the place of my Marshall amps, but it’s lots of fun with really good and believable Marshall tones. The Headrush shines when put directly through a PA.

I also have the Code 50. It’s a cheap and fun little toy but that’s about it.

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  3. vtrain

vtrain Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a Joyo Jackman that sounds really great at very low volumes, and can get boosted into modded JCM territory. But with the amps you already have, just get a Weber MiniMASS. You’ll be glad you did.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I agree with you about the Weber Minimass50 Shane,...but you already know that. Just before I ordered the Minimass I had purchased a set of Hearos, (music ear plugs), I never even opened the package because I received my Weber Minimass,....no need for the Hearos.

tce63 likes this.
  5. iwuk78

iwuk78 Member

Good old Marshall lead 12 is pretty great at super low volumesif you can find one cheap

fat_lenny, scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

marshall vs30,marshall lead 12 ,got one of each for sale btw ,los angeles area .

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My Marshall DSL5CR fits the bill very nicely. I can get lots of good tones at low volume in low power mode for late night practice without waking the house up. Gets loud enough to really piss off the cat in full power mode.

8. Chris Howes

Chris Howes New Member

I've found the DSL5C to be perfect for late-night shenanigans. You can drop the output to .5W with a push of a button if need be. Foot-switchable clean and crunch channels, FX loop, and fantastic tones.

Mitchell Pearrow and PaulHikeS2 like this.
  9. JShaffer

JShaffer New Member

5E3 Deluxe with a P12R on 3-4 and live with not being able to get it super saturated. It will seriously make you a better player to be able to coax good tone out of a medium-small amp on the edge of breakup.

It’s the amp responsible for 87% of “you think it’s a Marshall but it’s actually a smaller amp” recorded sounds and it’s correspondingly great for low volume practice. If you use your imagination, really sounds like a Super Bass/JTM45/100 on 3-4 just much MUCH quieter.

I have spoken

10. Miotch

Miotch New Member

I can only speak of things I’ve really owned. Played a lot of other amps, but not for long enough or in enough settings to give you a valuable opinion. But of the ones I’ve owned, I’ll put another vote in the DSL1 camp. Sounds great on 0.1watt. I’ve taken it to hotels and played in my room with no complaints. But even then, you can’t crank it. 1 watt and 0.1 watt can get louder than I thought.

11. SLA

SLA Active Member

Im been on that road..trying small amps,attenuators etc. The best solution I found was to use pedals. I use the amps clean (jmp 2204, plexi superbass with ppimv). The small amps dont sound right to me so I settled on finding some good marshall in a box pedals and overdrives to boost them with, works great.
    As marshall in a box i settled on: BoxOfRock and JHS Andy Timmons, but there are serveral good options out there, also godd cheap ones..
    To boost them with I use one od wich is rather flat i freq (Prince of tone, boss bluesdriver, timmy..) and one standard od with midhump (Boss sd-1, Tubescreamer..)
    For some cleanish ac/dc crunch I use an compressor to give that extra push. (high level, low sustain)

SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

DSL-1 is a great choice. At low volumes it sounds great. MS-2 is also a great one. I purchase an MG30dfx way back when at a pawn shop for $60
    and that is a good one for quiet great Marshall tone practice. All those small Marshall MG amps will do it also.
    I can't believe anybody would dare mention Yamaha, Roland, or any other brand amp to even come close to Marshall sound.
    MARSHALL, MARSHALL MARSHALL, AND ONLY MARSHALL.....!!

Iron1, SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

I bought the mini silver jubilee 5w/20w last year, and I love it, I play in my 18 ft x 18 ft soundproof studio, and 5 watts is plenty for practice, and will get all the crunch you want at low volume; 20 watts in that room is more than enough power, and will play out anywhere you like, mike it up if need be. It's pricey for a low wattage amp, but it's premium Marshall quality with small room luxury sound

Attached Files:

14. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

There is a Class 5 modded to sound plexi/JTM/JMP and has a voltage regulator to crank up at low volumes for $375 shipped and paypaled over at TGP

15. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Stay away from guitar speakers and run your rig through studio monitors.

SkyMonkey and jchrisf like this.
  16. tallcoolone

I have a buddy who gets a nuts on VH tone at tv volume with one of these

17. tallcoolone

SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

Why can't you used the Studio Classic in 5 watt mode. I used my Mini Jubilee and can make it so low but still get plenty of Marshally gain and sound.

19. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

Should be able to play it without an attenuator in 5 Watt mode.

20. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

What cabinet are you using