Marshall SC20H weird problem! I am getting desperate so please help...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by CroTone, Mar 4, 2021.

1. southbound suarez

southbound suarez Active Member

Great Idea, I am nowhere as neat and organized as all this but I wish I was!
    I spend alot of time tube rolling and as someone else had already mentioned. Tubes by nature are inconsistent and vary from brand to brand and lot to lot. One tube may sound nasty in one amp but might work well in another. This is especially true of microphonics tubes. Some microphonic tubes might work ok in a different amp.... A spreadsheet and inventory would be nice. Especially at finding trends between certain tubes and how they may behave.
    Regarding new production tubes....
    I have been having great luck and very pleased with much of the whole line of the Reissued TungSol sold by New Sensor... I don't understand how a company that produces one third of all production tubes for so many different labels can make a brand of tubes that behaves differently than another brand of tubes made at the same production facility. These reissue brands are they or are they not just simply labels silk-screened onto the same tube? Is a reissue Mullard or reissue Tung Sol or Genelex simply just a Sovtek in different drag? I don't know but the Tung Sol reissues have been excellent and affordable alternative to the Old Stock " test like new" vintage tubes I used in the past. Even these Test as new supposed NOS tubes have a large reject rate regardless of how they test on the Hickok ,,, due to the fact that in reality most NOS are indeed used tubes or were factory seconds and rejects... Used tubes are just that.... Well I'm used! I like used tubes but I have to wade thru many of them because they all have little noises and artifacts that make for hiss or static and crackle. When you get thru the static crackle and fizz from used old vintage tubes , you will enjoy super tone, but with these reissue tubes such as the Tung Sol it gets me half way there with way less hassle. New Amps Tung Sol , old amp maybe old tubes with a set of TungSol in reserve. Far more toneful than JJ but perhaps not as robust....
    So far knock on wood not a bad TungSol in over 25 amps across my bench!

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  2. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

You never know. Every time I say something is absolutely true somebody comes up with an exception to the rule.

scozz and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Peavey 6505+ the v1 was like in the 3rd position believe it or not:(

4. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

See? What did I tell you?

Mad Jack and ken361 like this.
  5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a plethora of old tubes, some the label has disappeared so I have to keep track of what is where.
    Tung sols, I have had 3 crap out very early in PI slots. So no more TS for me in that spot. Seems like they can't handle the voltage. Long smooth plate EIs or Raytheon Black plates are nice in there.

southbound suarez likes this.
  6. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

If you just got it, and after you've tried another speaker cord, take it back. If not, take it to a shop. Hopefully you can get it replaced.

tce63 likes this.
  7. jazzdj

jazzdj Active Member

Man ... I have seen more complaints about these SC20H on this forum ... I wouldn't touch or buy one with YOUR 10 foot poll and check book. Why are you guys buying this crap?

I am so glad I still have my '81 JCM800 50W 2x12 Lead Series combo that has never had a day of problems since i bought it new.