Marshall SC20H: not so good sound...please help!

MP+

Reaction score
It not the nature of the amp, if it was I’m sure there would be a plethora of folks complaining, and there’s not.

I’ve had my SC20 for over three years now and I don’t have the issue you and the op are describing. I run my treble around 5 and the presence about the same, maybe a bit higher, and it sounds great! No issue at all.

With the amount of people who own these amps now, I suspect we would’ve heard many more complaints if this is the “nature” of the beast.
This all sounds borderline between something actually faulty and something to do with general set up. Don't know much about the SC20 but there is a common theme running through all the comments suggesting that the Amp. does fill out when cranked. Treble and presence settings will also revolve around bass and midrange settings. When recording with my JCM800 Jubilee 25/50, I would run the presence at about 7 and the treble around 8. That would sound crappy until I dialed the bass up to around 9 and the midrange up to about 6 then it all takes off with a good nudge on the master volume.

jagrenet

Reaction score
Just thinking, I also had one like this and took it back and no issues like this with the second. And/or I’m guessing you could also be a strat player? And maybe you bought the matching v-type matching cab? (it’s not bad but it’s def. not my fav.) The high end is pretty bright on these... brighter than a Chinese v30..
Sorry for the delayed response. I decided to save a few bucks so instead of buying the "matching" cabinet, I opted for the Harley Benton 2x12 angled cab with Vintage 30s.(GREAT sounding cabinet) While I do play a Strat on occassion, the sounds I reference in my original post were supplied with a Les Paul.

Calebz

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. I decided to save a few bucks so instead of buying the "matching" cabinet, I opted for the Harley Benton 2x12 angled cab with Vintage 30s.(GREAT sounding cabinet) While I do play a Strat on occassion, the sounds I reference in my original post were supplied with a Les Paul.

That's the same cab I use with my SC20 most of the time. They pair nicely together.

JBA

Reaction score
No worries. Good thing you were able to get it to where you are happy with it now as most are not going to hop in with a soldering iron. I mean, the JCM 800 is pretty bright compared to many amps but if it’s the tone you know you are going for then it nails it (I know I like it.. among many others). I often see people assume that because this is an iconic amp it must give them the perfect tone, but amps don’t read minds lol. The SC20 has great tone if that is the tone your looking for, but if someone is buying without experience hearing one directly or borrowing it or renting one then they are buying an assumption and might learn the hard way. If you have money it’s part of the fun, if you don’t then it can be very frustrating.

edit: if you got skills, you tweak it :h5:

Last edited:

Latest posts