Marshall SC20/SV20 = Head+Cab or Combo??

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Tonz, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Since boosts have come up, if I'm able to run it where i like it i don't use an OD. Just a wah and phase 90 out front. I do like a little ambience from time to time so I've been experimenting with either my Dunlop Echoplex and Preamp copy out front or my TCE Flashback X4 Delay in the loop. I'm getting to where I more prefer the X4 in the loop. Keeps the front end cleaner.

Tonz likes this.
  2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yeah, aside from a 2 channel attenuator or re-amper, it's the only way to get a "significant" volume boost with a non-master volume amp. Being in a 2 guitar band, I'm just used to that volume boost. Being the only guitar in a band, this wouldn't be an issue.

Tonz likes this.
  3. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I am getting the SC20H at some point. I wanted the limited Blue edition which is a head. Plus I have a 4010 already as a 1x12 combo. I also ordered the matchjng blue 2z12 cab cause it's sexy.
    I can use the amp with that tall cab in some situations but also have a blue 6912 30th Anniv 1x12 cab so it is easy to haul wherever.

Perhaps cab placement is at play there too. A 2x12 horizontal is pointed at ones legs, I suspect if you could angle it or get it up it would be more than loud enough for everyone there. I like open backs dor that rwason the drummer can hear it spill out the back.
    Hoping for mine in about a week... I already have the cab.

WellBurnTheSky, Tonz and Madfinger like this.
  4. Biff Maloy

Yeah. I've played around with cab placement and I've even built me a riser for our next get together. I've used my 2525H before getting the SV and it was fine but that was with a different group and it was miked. But, the thought of more power has lingered and admittingly a 1987X is my dream amp. It really hit home when the bassist told me i could be a little louder because I'd kept those thoughts to myself.

This is all rehearsal and still testing so no worries yet.

Didn't mean to get off subject about me but i just wanted to make a point that these 20 watt heads take on a different vibe in a band mix. My main gigging days were with 50 and 100 watt heads so in the grand scheme of my years a 20 watt is still new to me.

Tonz and Jethro Rocker like this.
  5. RoadShow

RoadShow Member

I'm generally a head and cabinet guy, it allows for swapping things around.

Then again, I do like my TRRI and 18W custom built Bluesbreaker.

Tonz likes this.
  6. krb813

krb813 New Member

I say head and cab. I do not like 10" speakers.

Tonz and LPMarshall hack like this.
  7. marshallmellowed

Wow. Either of the Studio amps would be plenty loud at our rehearsals, I'd definitely have to attenuate the SV20, I'm guessing SC20 on around 2. You guys must be playing pretty loud.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  8. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Been gassing for a SC20 or a Friedman Runt 20 for a while now. If I had any guts, I'd pull the trigger on one or the other. Like many, my biggest concern is how it/they would work at gig volume. I'd have to imagine one of these thru a 4x12 would more than suffice.

scozz, Tonz and Jethro Rocker like this.
  9. marshallmellowed

Indoors, small to medium size space, no problem (mic'd or not mic'd). Large venue, or outdoors, you'd be mic'ing it anyway (or should be).

scozz and Tonz like this.
  10. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

We suck so we only usually play just your average pub. No mics...

My buddy has a DSL20. I need to borrow that and get a rough idea how these things will handle live.

11. marshallmellowed

Yeah, not mic'd is a bit different. Guitar cabs are very directional, so what might seem "F'ing loud" standing right in front of the cab, would be "meh" off to the side. Lately, I've been running my Studio amps (at home) through 2 4x12's, one on either side of the room. The sound is more evenly distributed, and if not standing right in front of either cab, I can turn it up a bit more. Lots of variables when not mic'ing, monitor mix's play a huge role.

12. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

That Avatar cab is just way too heavy at 65lbs.

13. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

There is something wrong with the stock 10" speaker. It sucks. No tone and makes the amp sound cheap. I guess you have never play and original 2204 combo. They sound nothing alike.

14. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

I sure hope you won't be disapointed with the SC20 since your used to that 4010. I had an 82 4010 and the SC20 just doesn't sound like it. Unfortunatly that cab you ordered comes with the Celestion V-Type speaker. Awful speaker. I'm not trying to be a downer it's just that facts. You will see when it arrives and hear quit a difference. I don't know what speaker your 4010 has? Mine had a G12-65.

15. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

In what way does it sound different? Can't EQ it?
    Mine has the 65 as well. I plan on changing out the 2 speakers in the cab, I do not need 140 watts of speaker for a 20 watt amp. So far I have a greenback amd a G12H-30 to try in there. I haven't heard many complain at all that this amp sounds different from the original series so I am not sure what to expect.

tce63 likes this.
  16. Biff Maloy

It was. The place is well dampened and roomy though.

17. Biff Maloy

That may work out well for you with those choices and a 4x12.

I'm a little different about my 1960AX with these Studios. I like my 2525H into it much better than the SV20H. I think one of the key things to a Superlead is getting some speaker breakup along with the amp's. I just can't push that 4x12 enough to get that which is the only reason i prefer a 2x12 at the most with the SV. But, a more stable set of speakers fits the higher gain nature of the 2525H and my hunch is I'll probably feel the same about the SC when i get it.

18. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I played mine through a 12" greenback through a mini jube it wasnt that much of a difference a little brighter and louder SOME!

tce63 likes this.
  19. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Youre funny.

tce63 likes this.
  20. Freddy78

Freddy78 Member

IMO i would not go for any combo just head and cabinet , i have the SV20 and i used it in different situations and it sounds amazing , for home use you will need to have an attenuator to be able to use it , honestly it affects the tone but once you play it loud as should then you can hear what that amp can do , i also explored different speakers ( V30 , T75's from the 80's , GB ) and for me it sounded the best with G12-35XC in a 2x12 1966A cab

tce63 likes this.