Marshall prices US vs. Europe

DougUSMC

Reaction score
Ah, cool, I dig it. I guess I needed to look at it as a European store. "Most" sites in the US are purely English language, and have a certain look. I've found that many sites that are European have been designed to be multilingual, and feel different. This definitely falls into that category.

I now have a 1974 in a Cart, if I push the Go button, I'm blaming you guys...

Bluewhalin

Reaction score
Yeah, mine was trashed. Funny thing though - the 1959 was in almost perfect shape! I can't tell where you are, is it US? I don't believe I paid customs tax, or if I did it was wrapped up in my checkout price.

Yup, it seems the male end of the plug cord (the one attached to the amp) is standard. I just moved over another amp power cord I had (coincidentally a 1987x), and it was fine.
I didn't have to get new tubes, I had to replace the fuses. The back of the head is labeled with the correct ones, and I just picked them up from Amazon.
Yes, it has to be selectable to US power. I think that's only the 1959 and the 1987 at this time. A bummer, because at those crazy Thomann prices I'd have grabbed a JTM 45 and Silver Jubilee too within days of the 1959 showing up!

This is a huge bummer! I have a credit from Thomann as a result of mine being such a trainwreck when it showed up. I guess it doesn't *really* matter, since nothing else in the Marshall line has switchable power by default. I'd lie if I hadn't said that I was considering a 1974 and swapping out the power though. The1962 Bluesbreaker is less than half price from them. Weird though ,they don't show the 1974 on their page?
I’m in California. I think the 1959 and JCM 800 might be the only ones with selectable power - so we can use them here. Those prices have me really thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those heads, hence all my questions. Thanks for answering. I may have to thin the herd a bit, sell an SG I never play … and go for it.

DougUSMC

Reaction score
I’m in California. I think the 1959 and JCM 800 might be the only ones with selectable power - so we can use them here. Those prices have me really thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those heads, hence all my questions. Thanks for answering. I may have to thin the herd a bit, sell an SG I never play … and go for it.

Hmmm, you could be right. It's been a while since I checked out the back. I did it, and I'm glad I did - though I WILL say you'd better sell two: you're going to need an Ox Box too! It's LOUD, REALLY LOUD. I mean, you know "It's 100W, it's going to be loud". Then you hear it and realize how they filled stadiums with sound with a few of these things... :D

Bluewhalin

Reaction score
Hmmm, you could be right. It's been a while since I checked out the back. I did it, and I'm glad I did - though I WILL say you'd better sell two: you're going to need an Ox Box too! It's LOUD, REALLY LOUD. I mean, you know "It's 100W, it's going to be loud". Then you hear it and realize how they filled stadiums with sound with a few of these things... :D
I owned on the past. I have an Sv20 now and that’s crazy loud. Use a Weber MiniMASS which I really like. Works well live. Just got the TAE - still trying to figure it out. There’s no better sound to me than the 1959 or JCM 800.

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
I owned on the past. I have an Sv20 now and that’s crazy loud. Use a Weber MiniMASS which I really like. Works well live. Just got the TAE - still trying to figure it out. There’s no better sound to me than the 1959 or JCM 800.
I have a 100w attenuator on the 1959hw and when i dig in the overload light goes on instantly. I doubt that a 50w attenuator like the Weber mini would be sufficient to notably reduce the Marshall induced commotion ....

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
Ah, cool, I dig it. I guess I needed to look at it as a European store. "Most" sites in the US are purely English language, and have a certain look. I've found that many sites that are European have been designed to be multilingual, and feel different. This definitely falls into that category.

I now have a 1974 in a Cart, if I push the Go button, I'm blaming you guys...
Saddly the 1974 isn't dual voltage. But the cabs don't care about mains voltage ....

Bluewhalin

Reaction score
I have a 100w attenuator on the 1959hw and when i dig in the overload light goes on instantly. I doubt that a 50w attenuator like the Weber mini would be sufficient to notably reduce the Marshall induced commotion
I have a 100w attenuator on the 1959hw and when i dig in the overload light goes on instantly. I doubt that a 50w attenuator like the Weber mini would be sufficient to notably reduce the Marshall induced commotion ....
No the mini would catch on fire or melt with your amp. It’s good for my 20w Studios. According to the Weber site you should have an attenuator with double your amps wattage. I’m not too knowledgeable on electronics, just a musician, but I’ve read an amps stated wattage is less than the actual it puts out when you crank it and dig in. One reason I picked up the TAE is it’s supposed to handle amps up to 150w. So when I finally get a 100w 800 again I’ll be ready.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
usually an amp's power output is measured at a certain percentage distortion point.

Guitar amp's are generally used well past that distortion point, so, the amp can put out 80% more, than it's rated power. That's why attenuator mfgr's tell you to use 2x the amp's rating.

A lot of people these days, use pre-amp distortion & not rely too much on power amp distortion. So, if you use a distorted sound & have your volume at 2, yeah, you won't be pushing the amp, but, if you are running the power up high & have distortion, chances are, you're well above the rated power.