Marshall prices US vs. Europe

Crikey

Reaction score
Ridiculous, right?

I've heard only good things about Thomann, but I'm still not bold enough to open the box w/o talking to them first. I don't want *any* room for the thought that I'm in any way responsible. I'm going to IM Thomann in the morning, and see what they tell me to do. At this point I only know that it's severely crushed and taped back together. When I pick it up, I can hear lots of things rattling and rolling around inside. Such a shame, for an incredible amp.

Anyone want to start a pool on what Thomann tells me to do? My guess is "Bring it right back to a UPS store and file a claim. They'll send it back to us and we'll send you a new one once we get it.".
If I had my druthers, it would be to file the claim then "throw it out, we'll send you a new one once UPS resolves the case". Then I see what I can do w/a "mostly demolished refurb".
I think ordering a flight case with an amp head or combo wouldbe good insurance and worthwhile

DougUSMC

Reaction score
I think ordering a flight case with an amp head or combo wouldbe good insurance and worthwhile

Not saying that's not a great idea, but it does say something pretty pathetic with how packages are being handled lately...

Crikey

Reaction score
Not saying that's not a great idea, but it does say something pretty pathetic with how packages are being handled lately...
Its our reality , unfortunately.
They are busier with freight packages more than ever before. Forecast , it will get even busier.
Intl shipments of heavy electronics like 1959 are worthy of flight case purchase. Imo

DougUSMC

Reaction score
Its our reality , unfortunately.
They are busier with freight packages more than ever before. Forecast , it will get even busier.
Intl shipments of heavy electronics like 1959 are worthy of flight case purchase. Imo

Yeah, I hear you, and don't disagree. It's just sad that we're being trained to accept such [email protected] service and expected to pay full price for it.

Crikey

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you, and don't disagree. It's just sad that we're being trained to accept such [email protected] service and expected to pay full price for it.
Its going to get het much worse til each house has s 3 d printer and makes theproduct in your house

DougUSMC

Reaction score
Its going to get het much worse til each house has s 3 d printer and makes theproduct in your house

LOL, that's true! Though then we'll be complaining that the shipments of substrate and printing materials get lost and damaged! :D

Comic

Reaction score
The thing is ( i can't locate the thread) someone here tried to order Marshall from Thomann UK and when they got to the payment stage a pop up told them they can't ship to the US. I wish i could find the thread.

anitolli... I just had the same experience. I was looking at a Marshall SV20H... Thomann, with shipping was around $700.... Sweetwater wants $1,700. Plus tax. And I got the same message that they won't ship Marshall's to the USA.

$1000+ more expensive. The word "criminal" comes to mind.

ljs

Reaction score
We have the same issue with a lot of US brands which are either not distributed (where we end up paying 20%+ markup on retail price + shipping) or obscenely priced (Mesa - that’s you I’m talking about).

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
anitolli... I just had the same experience. I was looking at a Marshall SV20H... Thomann, with shipping was around $700.... Sweetwater wants $1,700. Plus tax. And I got the same message that they won't ship Marshall's to the USA.

$1000+ more expensive. The word "criminal" comes to mind.
Several people here from the US have bought their Marshall stuff there recently without any issues.

@Bluewhalin bought a SV112 cab a week or two ago.
https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/perhaps-the-most-ridiculous-price-of-all.124622/post-2235276

@DougUSMC bought a half stack in January

Bluewhalin

Reaction score
I did buy from Thomann, but it was a 1959 HW and in November...
I purchased the SV112 from Thomann. Ordered on Thursday at my door on Monday. The box looked fine, no issues. Saw those pictures of the 1959 box - yikes. Thomann customer service told me as long as I was under $800 I would avoid Customs Tax. Also - I’ve been looking at those Heads and thinking I’m cheating or something they’re so cheap. Does a normal US female end of the power cord fit the amp? What’s the story with switching tubes? Just all new tubes, get the same a you use in a head purchased here in the US? Obviously the head must be selectable to US power. Sorry for the 50 question drill. Thanks - your amp looks awesome!

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thomann site now says that Marshall won’t let them sell to USA.

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
Thomann site now says that Marshall won’t let them sell to USA.
Jep, they've closed that loop hole. So i hope you all have friends in the Army/Navy/Marine/AirForce who serve in Europe and can buy it local and relay that stuff to the US.
Screenshot 2022-02-24 193639.png

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the US importers/retailers have more leverage on Marshall then Thomann does

Jep, they've closed that loop hole. So i hope you all have friends in the Army/Navy/Marine/AirForce who serve in Europe and can buy it local and relay that stuff to the US.
Screenshot 2022-02-24 193639.png

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you guys seen what a 1960BV is selling for new right now in the U.S.? Almost $2,000 USD
Yeah I actually bought one new at 1400 because I couldn’t find one local used, it came with the tolex ripped in a few spots and the badge plays off and all bent up. Nope…… my old 2011 model is perfect and cost me about 500, no way I pay that for a banged up one. Back it went and I’ll be fine with just one for now.

DougUSMC

Reaction score
I purchased the SV112 from Thomann. Ordered on Thursday at my door on Monday. The box looked fine, no issues. Saw those pictures of the 1959 box - yikes. Thomann customer service told me as long as I was under $800 I would avoid Customs Tax. Also - I’ve been looking at those Heads and thinking I’m cheating or something they’re so cheap. Does a normal US female end of the power cord fit the amp? What’s the story with switching tubes? Just all new tubes, get the same a you use in a head purchased here in the US? Obviously the head must be selectable to US power. Sorry for the 50 question drill. Thanks - your amp looks awesome!

Yeah, mine was trashed. Funny thing though - the 1959 was in almost perfect shape! I can't tell where you are, is it US? I don't believe I paid customs tax, or if I did it was wrapped up in my checkout price.

Yup, it seems the male end of the plug cord (the one attached to the amp) is standard. I just moved over another amp power cord I had (coincidentally a 1987x), and it was fine.
I didn't have to get new tubes, I had to replace the fuses. The back of the head is labeled with the correct ones, and I just picked them up from Amazon.
Yes, it has to be selectable to US power. I think that's only the 1959 and the 1987 at this time. A bummer, because at those crazy Thomann prices I'd have grabbed a JTM 45 and Silver Jubilee too within days of the 1959 showing up!

View attachment 102894

This is a huge bummer! I have a credit from Thomann as a result of mine being such a trainwreck when it showed up. I guess it doesn't *really* matter, since nothing else in the Marshall line has switchable power by default. I'd lie if I hadn't said that I was considering a 1974 and swapping out the power though. The1962 Bluesbreaker is less than half price from them. Weird though ,they don't show the 1974 on their page?

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score

DougUSMC

Reaction score
Maybe you could try another retailer in Europ that ships to the US ...

Is that a real store? I don't mean to be harsh, but it looks like a fake site.