Marshall prices US vs. Europe

Discussion in 'Retail Row' started by Heiko Jakob, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Heiko Jakob

Heiko Jakob Active Member

I'd go with "send it back to us and we'll send you a new one once we get it.".

Didn't you have the chance to refuse the parcel ? Or have the UPS guy to note the demolished state before you sign up for reception ?

tce63 likes this.
  2. DougUSMC

DougUSMC New Member

Nope, even though I WFH, I didn't know it was here until I got the "Your Package has been Delivered" email.

tce63 likes this.
  3. Heiko Jakob

Btw, it's now 14:00 in Europe. Perfect time for a call at Thomann ...+49 9546 9223 66

Or you could write 'em an email with the photos attached.
    [email protected]

tce63 likes this.
  4. DougUSMC

DougUSMC New Member

I just chatted with Thomann, who was every bit as helpful as everyone here suggested. They had me send a bunch of pics, then open and send pics of the amp:

[​IMG]

It was in surprisingly better condition than I would have expected:

[​IMG]

Some scuffs in the tolex, and a couple of dinged corners, but I can't believe that's all there was. The last thing to do is test it out to verify that it still works, but *someone* forgot to order fuses.
    I'll be picking those up today, and testing her out. After that I have to update Thomann, and we'll see how to take things from there.

tce63 and Heiko Jakob like this.
  5. Heiko Jakob

Fuses and power cord !

tce63 likes this.
  6. DougUSMC

DougUSMC New Member

The power cord isn't that big of a concern. I do need to get one, but I have several other high wattage heads that use the same plug type. I can pick up a fuse locally today, and be patient for a Marshall OEM cord to "to keep".

tce63 and Heiko Jakob like this.
  7. Heiko Jakob

I'm curious to see if the tubes have survived the UPS treatment. But if so, these valves will also stand the test of time and will work even when all human life has vanished form the face of the earth ...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    tce63 likes this.
  8. DougUSMC

DougUSMC New Member

You and I both. Unfortunately, the fuses that I could find local are not a match for the ones the amp needs. US fuses are larger (1.25") than the ones that came in the EU amp (3/4"). I had to get the closest I could find, and they won't be here until Thursday.

My brain keeps trying to tell me that it shouldn't be this hard, I mean other guitarists have to have run into this problem too, right?

She looks so pretty (and untested) next to her new siblings though...

[​IMG]

9. Heiko Jakob

With the increasing power demand in every household it's just a question of time when 240V will become standard in US home for more then the kitchen appliances and clothes dryers.

10. DougUSMC

DougUSMC New Member

Well, 240V vs 110V isn't the service available to the house, it's the standard amount available on a circuit. My house as 3x 200A panels (600 total), but each breaker is 110V. Some specific breakers (clothes dryers, refrigerator, etc) are set up with 220V, but the majority are 110V because that's more than most need.

Also, oops, noticed the link was bad on the first post...
    [​IMG]

Eric'45, tce63 and Heiko Jakob like this.
  11. DougUSMC

DougUSMC New Member

Ok, ready for this??

I wasn't...

Swapped the fuses, changed the voltage, got a new cord...

I turned it on, and left it in standby for a few minutes, just WAITING for the smell of burning plastic or smoke. Nothing. I finally plugged in (wirelessly), flicked it off standby, and threw a chord, and it worked!! Completely shock on my end!!!

I guess that says a lot for how the guys in Bletchley make them! Bravo guys!!

faerdi, Heiko Jakob and tce63 like this.
  12. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So happy for you.

Now turn it up and play :)

13. Heiko Jakob

Yeehaw ...
    That amp is worth a NAD post in the amps section.

14. Murmel

Murmel Active Member

Good luck stetting up that store. Across the street from Thomann's store is a litte parking lot, and behind that there is a pond. The rest of the tiny village (Treppendorf) where Thomann is located are mostly Thomann buildings. It's huge. More than 1.000 people work there. There was another Marshall dealer nearby in Bamberg though. Not really competition for Hans. When the owner of that store wanted to found a family, and wanted to close his store, because it was too much work, Hans Thomann offered him a job. He is now the lead of the guitar department at Thomann.

Eric'45 and tce63 like this.