Marshall prices US vs. Europe

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
Anyone want to start a pool on what Thomann tells me to do? My guess is "Bring it right back to a UPS store and file a claim. They'll send it back to us and we'll send you a new one once we get it.".
If I had my druthers, it would be to file the claim then "throw it out, we'll send you a new one once UPS resolves the case". Then I see what I can do w/a "mostly demolished refurb".
I'd go with "send it back to us and we'll send you a new one once we get it.".

Didn't you have the chance to refuse the parcel ? Or have the UPS guy to note the demolished state before you sign up for reception ?

DougUSMC

Reaction score
I'd go with "send it back to us and we'll send you a new one once we get it.".

Didn't you have the chance to refuse the parcel ? Or have the UPS guy to note the demolished state before you sign up for reception ?

Nope, even though I WFH, I didn't know it was here until I got the "Your Package has been Delivered" email.

DougUSMC

Reaction score
I just chatted with Thomann, who was every bit as helpful as everyone here suggested. They had me send a bunch of pics, then open and send pics of the amp:

K7JOn9W.jpg

It was in surprisingly better condition than I would have expected:

jNIIQaX.jpg

Some scuffs in the tolex, and a couple of dinged corners, but I can't believe that's all there was. The last thing to do is test it out to verify that it still works, but *someone* forgot to order fuses.
I'll be picking those up today, and testing her out. After that I have to update Thomann, and we'll see how to take things from there.

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
I'm curious to see if the tubes have survived the UPS treatment. But if so, these valves will also stand the test of time and will work even when all human life has vanished form the face of the earth ...

Last edited:

DougUSMC

Reaction score
I'm curious to see if the tubes have survived the UPS treatment. But if so, these valves will also stand the test of time and will work even when all human life has vanished form the face of the earth ...

You and I both. Unfortunately, the fuses that I could find local are not a match for the ones the amp needs. US fuses are larger (1.25") than the ones that came in the EU amp (3/4"). I had to get the closest I could find, and they won't be here until Thursday.

My brain keeps trying to tell me that it shouldn't be this hard, I mean other guitarists have to have run into this problem too, right?

She looks so pretty (and untested) next to her new siblings though...

8Pryyy3

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
You and I both. Unfortunately, the fuses that I could find local are not a match for the ones the amp needs. US fuses are larger (1.25") than the ones that came in the EU amp (3/4"). I had to get the closest I could find, and they won't be here until Thursday.

My brain keeps trying to tell me that it shouldn't be this hard, I mean other guitarists have to have run into this problem too, right?

She looks so pretty (and untested) next to her new siblings though...

8Pryyy3
With the increasing power demand in every household it's just a question of time when 240V will become standard in US home for more then the kitchen appliances and clothes dryers.

DougUSMC

Reaction score
With the increasing power demand in every household it's just a question of time when 240V will become standard in US home for more then the kitchen appliances and clothes dryers.

Well, 240V vs 110V isn't the service available to the house, it's the standard amount available on a circuit. My house as 3x 200A panels (600 total), but each breaker is 110V. Some specific breakers (clothes dryers, refrigerator, etc) are set up with 220V, but the majority are 110V because that's more than most need.

Also, oops, noticed the link was bad on the first post...
9Vhaz6B.jpg

DougUSMC

Reaction score
Ok, ready for this??

I wasn't...

Swapped the fuses, changed the voltage, got a new cord...

I turned it on, and left it in standby for a few minutes, just WAITING for the smell of burning plastic or smoke. Nothing. I finally plugged in (wirelessly), flicked it off standby, and threw a chord, and it worked!! Completely shock on my end!!!

I guess that says a lot for how the guys in Bletchley make them! Bravo guys!!

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, ready for this??

I wasn't...

Swapped the fuses, changed the voltage, got a new cord...

I turned it on, and left it in standby for a few minutes, just WAITING for the smell of burning plastic or smoke. Nothing. I finally plugged in (wirelessly), flicked it off standby, and threw a chord, and it worked!! Completely shock on my end!!!

I guess that says a lot for how the guys in Bletchley make them! Bravo guys!!

So happy for you.

Now turn it up and play :)

Murmel

Reaction score
Try setting up a music shop across the street from Thomann's store and try getting a Marshall dealership in your store. They are gonna tell you to piss off, the other guy has a guaranteed area. Now when you throw in online sales this is where it gets all screwy.

Good luck stetting up that store. Across the street from Thomann's store is a litte parking lot, and behind that there is a pond. The rest of the tiny village (Treppendorf) where Thomann is located are mostly Thomann buildings. It's huge. More than 1.000 people work there. There was another Marshall dealer nearby in Bamberg though. Not really competition for Hans. When the owner of that store wanted to found a family, and wanted to close his store, because it was too much work, Hans Thomann offered him a job. He is now the lead of the guitar department at Thomann.

junk notes

Reaction score
This years end-of-year sales for gear are slim pickin's! Looking for a few things like the SC20H and other cool gear, usually I see "deals" around this time., but it is a barren landscape for the big ticket items!
I would guess retailers should be trying to flip stock; for the new incoming years products? Obviously it would have to be across the board trickling down from the manufacturers. Will this mean better deals for 2022?
Lately have had good findings on craig's, but nothing to spectacular in finds..

lespaulsg

Reaction score
i want to purchase one of those sv212s from thomann but my previous experience with them was similar to DougUSMC's. I purchased a harley benton 212 and they shipped it in only the product box from the UK to California, showed up in 6 pieces and the back and forth was annoying to get it resolved.

I chalked it up to the lack of double boxing and thought it was a one-off deal but now it seems this is their MO. I messaged them to confirm if they would double box it and they said they would.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, i should probably stop being cheap :)

DougUSMC

Reaction score
i want to purchase one of those sv212s from thomann but my previous experience with them was similar to DougUSMC's. I purchased a harley benton 212 and they shipped it in only the product box from the UK to California, showed up in 6 pieces and the back and forth was annoying to get it resolved.

I chalked it up to the lack of double boxing and thought it was a one-off deal but now it seems this is their MO. I messaged them to confirm if they would double box it and they said they would.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, i should probably stop being cheap :)

I hear you, but I will say they made it right without much trouble at all. For me, I ended up with a slightly dinged amp (really have to look for it to find it), and a great store credit. I'll take that deal any day!

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thomann has always been great to deal with, here in Europa when I have some problems, they always send a return label to ship it back, No question asked.

TC

DougUSMC

Reaction score
Ok, I can't stop going back to the Thomann page - they've created an addict!!

The problem is that I already have a 1987X, and none of the others in the Marshall line come with voltage switches. I know this has been asked a lot, but I can't get a real read on the answer:
Is it possible to buy something that's UK wired (Ex: a Silver Jubilee), and convert it to US?
I suspect the answer is "yes", but I can't find anything concrete on how to do that? It looks like the easiest thing to do is put a voltage converter in front of it? Are there any definitive guides/manuals/videos that would walk me through a process of changing out the actual guts (power converter)? Is this something a good amp tech should be able to do?

Any of the above? I'd really like to grab a Jubilee, and maybe a JTM45, and...

Calebz

Reaction score
Ok, I can't stop going back to the Thomann page - they've created an addict!!

How do you think I feel? I'm close enough to them that anything over about $50 gets me free shipping.

Monthly thomann deliveries are a thing in my household :D

Latest posts