Marshall prices US vs. Europe

Discussion in 'Retail Row' started by Heiko Jakob, Sep 10, 2021.

1. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I agree, but I would expect 'everyday pricing' to follow the exchange rate, give or take. I don't claim to know why, but was recently confronted with some US prices and I thought it was a misprint.

Heiko Jakob likes this.
  2. Heiko Jakob

Heiko Jakob Active Member

I think putting the parcel on a weight gauge and relabel it with the real thirty odd kg weight would be sufficient.
    1960ab.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    PelliX likes this.
  3. Heiko Jakob

Don't forget to add the state sales tax on that ridiculous price tag. US prices are always without the bad stuff, while EU prices already have the bad stuff included by law.

WellBurnTheSky and PelliX like this.
  4. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

This is why "second hand" is now called "pre-owned" in the US, right? :D (I think the late George Carlin had a line about that one...)

Heiko Jakob likes this.
  5. Heiko Jakob

Today i discovered that my Headrush Pedalboard that sold for $750 2-3 years ago now sells for $1100 *. Once upon a time electronics got cheaper day by day. Faster devaluation of money then devaluation of electronics is somehow scary.

Update: * at GC and Sweetwater in the US. Export price from most European dealers is still ~ $US 850

6. BlueX

BlueX Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Current Swedish prices for US made gear, as a comparison. Including all taxes and freight, and all products available to order.
    - Gibson Les Paul Standard 50's: SEK 23 000 (about USD 2 400), same price since Nov last year
    - Fender American Professional II Stratocaster: SEK 18 000 (about USD 1 900), same price Oct last year
    - Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25 Head: SEK 18 000 (about USD 1 900), price Oct last year SEK 22 000 (about USD 2 400)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  7. DougUSMC

DougUSMC Member

I think this thread just saved my mental sanity. I've been stalking both the forum Classifieds and Sweetwater for about a year, looking for a 1959. Since all the COVID-craziness with shipping and parts, I've had zero luck. Here in the US, it's been really hard to get our hands on anything from Marshall that's not solid state.
    I just clicked the "Buy now" button on Thomann, and am waiting for the confirmation email. I had no problem adding to cart, entering my shipping address, and checking out with Paypal. Hopefully I get a confirmation email soon, then I'll know for a fact when the new head that I got for HALF PRICE is going to show up.
    Yup, Sweetwater is listing them for $3700 USD, and my final shipped price from Thomann was right around $2000USD.

Heiko Jakob likes this.
  8. Heiko Jakob

Don't forget to adjust the voltage selector and replace the fuse before you plug it in.

DougUSMC likes this.
  9. DougUSMC

DougUSMC Member

Absolutely, thanks! TBH, I didn't know about the fuse, but "check out Youtube for how to use a EU Marshall in the US" was on the to do list for tonight. Do you think it'll come with both fuses?

Also, weird: I went to the site, added the amp to my cart, and checked out with "Price A". A few minutes later I got the "Welcome to the store... here's your new user account" email. I went, set a password, then immediately started price-shopping other amps. I noticed they were a bit higher than I recalled, and realized that my "Store" had been changed from a German one to a UK store. I then went and checked the price of a 1959HW in the UK store, and it too was higher (~ $200 IIRC).
    Am I misremembering, or do I now have to figure out a way to reset my store to Germany? :D

Heiko Jakob likes this.
  10. Heiko Jakob

Maybe you could write 'em a email that they should add a matching fuse or use the quarter you use to turn the voltage selector to buy a matching fuse at radio shack. But i think they will add the fuse for free if you ask nicely. Their service usually is top notch.

Tha manual is also very clear about what to do:
    "The mains selector must be set to the voltage of the mains supply. Your amp should be completely powered down before the selector is turned."
    "Warning: for each voltage setting, the correct value and type of mains fuse and H.T fuse must be fitted. Adjustments from 230/220V to 110V or vice versa will require the mains fuse to be changed to the corresponding value as detailed on the rear panel. For more information, please refer to the Mains Electricity Supply and Output Impedance section of this guide."

https://marshall.com/downloads/downloadfile/834fe5e2-64b4-46a9-802f-5cf26eae8520

Be carefull while shopping for mains wired stuff. You must be sure that it's a dual voltage 50/60Hz capable device like the 1959HW. The Jubilee f.e. is also cheaper in europe, but isn't dual voltage capable.

My best guess would be it depends on the domain your using. thomanmusic.com or thomann.de

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  11. DougUSMC

DougUSMC Member

I'd think about that, but I don't want to do anything that would make it take longer to get here! The checkout page had shipping details saying that it would be here Wednesday. It doesn't even look like it's shipped yet, so IDK how they'll pull that off. I still don't want to do anything that would slow it down and keep it from getting here by the weekend!

Awesome, thanks. The instructions crack me up, they basically said "read the back panel". Blowing up that image makes it look like its a T6.252A250V and a T1A250V. I don't even know where to find a radio shack now-a-days, but I suspect Amazon can get one here in a couple of days.

It's like you're in my head man! I was already thinking about a Jubilee 1/2 stack, or a JTM 45, but it looks like neither of them have a voltage switch. Both of those have a 100/110V fuse identified, but they only show 230 for the power input.... :(

I don't know? I checked the .com address and it auto-forwards to .de. In the top right corner it shows my shop as GB and my currency as $. Weird that I can still see it, but now it's $2300? I can even see the price I paid under "my orders" and it's less than $2k. I'm just going to chalk it up to luck, and hope it actually ships...

12. Heiko Jakob

I've asked that guy on facebook and he said his halfstack made it within 5 days over the pond to his door.

The backpanel of my 1959hw. Don't forget to buy a US power cord.
    20211012_163902.jpg

DougUSMC likes this.
  13. Heiko Jakob

Just checked. It's still below $US 2k
    Screenshot_20211013-111359_Chrome.jpg

tce63 likes this.
  14. DougUSMC

DougUSMC Member

So weird! That's the price I paid, and this is what I see this morning (on the .de site)...

1959.jpg

15. Heiko Jakob

You have to change the country to US to get the export price without VAT. UK prices still include VAT.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  16. DougUSMC

DougUSMC Member

I'd done that many times, and it didn't work. Then I noticed the "Save Settings" button, that changed things from this:

1959GB.jpg

To this:
    1959US.jpg

More interestingly, changing the currency to USD up top, changed it to this:
    1959US-USD.jpg

Note the top banner changing from black to white. Changing to USD kicked me from the "thomann.de" site to the "thomannmusic.com" site automatically.

Heiko Jakob likes this.
  17. Heiko Jakob

Now it makes sense.
    2300 $US = UK price in $US incl. VAT and shipping
    1939 $US = US export price in $US without VAT and without shipping
    1680 € = US export price in € without VAT and without shipping

18. DougUSMC

DougUSMC Member

Yup, I think it all came down to me making those changes and failing to hit Save. IDK how I got the $1939 price the first time though, unless it fixed itself during checkout when I entered my address and it defaulted to the (only) US shipping method (UPS).

So, I can "guess" why Marshalls are so much cheaper (almost half price) when buying from a European vendor (taxes, tariffs, duties, etc), but NOW "Why are Celestions almost the same price?" :D

19. Heiko Jakob

Well, the advertised GC/Sweetwater price of $US 3699 for the head is also not incuding state tax.

20. DougUSMC

DougUSMC Member

Yeah, agreed. IDK if you're here in the states or over in EU, but that's normal for us. Each state has different tax, anywhere from 0% to almost 10%. That's why most sites calculate it at checkout: They want people to compare apples to apples when price shopping online, and only add it in at the end when they know the shipping address.

I'm guessing that the huge difference (almost 2x at Sweetwater, and just about every other site I could find in the US) is largely due to the things I mentioned (MAP, duties, tariffs, etc). It would also explain why our guitars (Fender, Gibson, PRS, etc) are so much more expensive over there. If that's the case though, I'm still wondering why I don't see Celestion speakers (made in England) similarly costing 1/2 as much if I buy them from Thomann?