Marshall prices US vs. Europe

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
Hi,

i wonder why prices for Marshall are so much higher in the US, at Sweetwater, Guitar Center, ... compared to European retailers like Thomann, Music Store, Session ...
The same Marshall stack 1959HW/MR1960AHW/MR1960BHW Sweetwater vs. Thomann.
Even with shipping, customs, etc.... it still would be a bargain at dual voltage devices like the 1959HW that can be operated on 110V/60Hz. It wouldn't work for 230V/50Hz fixes devices. thomann_plexi.PNG sweetwater.PNG

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
I didn't think they could ship to the US.
At least Thomann explicitly does. And there are a lot of reviews from the US on Thomanns Harley Benton in house brand guitars on the web.

Adieu

Reaction score
I believe that Marshall had forced its authorized Europe dealers to not ship to North America sometime ~2020 - 21

Frodebro

Reaction score
I think this was brought up here before, and it was determined that Marshall dealers cannot sell or ship outside of their authorized areas.

Frodebro

Reaction score
That would violate EU price fixing laws.

I think it's more a distribution thing than pricing. And because it prevents European dealers from shipping outside of Europe, it seems that it is beyond the jurisdiction of European laws anyway. But I'm no expert on international retail laws, so don't quote me on that.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Korg has the distributorship for USA and maybe North America? They are not going to let another distributor or authorized dealer from outside the US to sell in their territory.

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
Korg has the distributorship for USA and maybe North America? They are not going to let another distributor or authorized dealer from outside the US to sell in their territory.
There is no way they can enforce this legally.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try setting up a music shop across the street from Thomann's store and try getting a Marshall dealership in your store. They are gonna tell you to piss off, the other guy has a guaranteed area. Now when you throw in online sales this is where it gets all screwy.

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
European laws generally do not apply in North America, much like North American laws do not apply in Europe.
But Thomann is located in Europe, therfore the online sale is done in europe.

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
Try setting up a music shop across the street from Thomann's store and try getting a Marshall dealership in your store. They are gonna tell you to piss off, the other guy has a guaranteed area. Now when you throw in online sales this is where it gets all screwy.
That won't be a problem, because Fender, Thomann, Roland and Music Store just got sued for similar price fixing and i'm pretty sure the millions in fines are a wakeup call to some in the music industry.

The forum doesn't allow for links because i'm new to the forum so you have to google it yourself: "Fender Yamaha Thomann Roland Music Store fined"

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
But the transaction would be originating outside of Europe...
Well, we could easily find out if some one would order one ... But they offer shipping to the US for this bundle so i'd guess it won't be a problem.

Frodebro

Reaction score
That won't be a problem, because Fender, Thomann, Roland and Music Store just got sued for similar price fixing and i'm pretty sure the millions in fines are a wakeup call to some in the music industry.

The forum doesn't allow for links because i'm new to the forum so you have to google it yourself: "Fender Yamaha Thomann Roland Music Store fined"

Thing is, this has nothing to do with pricing and everything to do with established dealer territories.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is ( i can't locate the thread) someone here tried to order Marshall from Thomann UK and when they got to the payment stage a pop up told them they can't ship to the US. I wish i could find the thread.