Marshall power brake worth buying?

nedcronin

Reaction score
I didn't like the PB or hot plates one bit, but I love my DR Z Airbrake. Having said that, I think the output transformer in my TSL is blown so I am not convinced that they don't do any damage. Or maybe it's just that diming an amp every time you play it results in blown components. Sure does sound absolutely 100 % awesome though.

ghostdriver

Reaction score
Don't want to derail the original question but has anyone tried the Weber Mass compared to the Power Brake or Dr Z?

Ewlman

Reaction score
I didn't like the PB or hot plates one bit, but I love my DR Z Airbrake. Having said that, I think the output transformer in my TSL is blown so I am not convinced that they don't do any damage. Or maybe it's just that diming an amp every time you play it results in blown components. Sure does sound absolutely 100 % awesome though.

If it's blown you wouldn't have any sound at all... if it's damaged in some way it would be audible in many cases. A crackling noise would for example be shorting between the coils. That's what I have come to understand at least.

Ewlman

Reaction score
Ned: that's strange... like a lot quieter? Anyway since I'm no pro it sounds like a question for the guys at the 'workbench'.

nedcronin

Reaction score
Dude an OD pedal does not even touch the tone of a cranked amp, it just isn't the same tone. I'm not saying it isn't good, it just is not the same at all. I'm not trying to sound like a corksniffer, but I never knew what I was missing NOT using a good attenuator. I'm also not saying that it's for everybody, but it's the tone I seek and I must have it!

Edelman, yes it's about 25% of the volume it should be normally. It does sound fine although there is more compression than there usually is too. It's on the verge of sag.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
ive had 3 attenuators,....hated them on my 2203. Made it sound like there was a box over it.....

I think the were primairly designed for, and sound best when used with, Non MasterVolume amps.

Marshallmaniac

Reaction score
I know most od's don't sound like cranked amps but IMO, Speaker distortion and the way they heat and react when amps are loud is part of what we call power tube opverdrive. Our ear also perceived sounds differently at volume levels. Amps certainly do distort their power sections, but perceived sound is not as we believe it to be.

What I mean is: A good overdrive pedal sounds good to me at low volumes. most don't sound isentical to a cranked amp, but why should they? Horses for courses is all, just trying to give some options :dude:

Reaction score
soo many opinions Haha that'd what this is about. well ill just have to find out on my own. for those of you that have one what's a good price on one?

nedcronin

Reaction score
Yeah if you have to keep the volume at like a household or apartment level, go with the OD. Attenuators can tame the beast but it will not be "un loud" by any means.