Marshall Origin Series Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Jan 25, 2018.

1. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

A guy on TGP who's played it said it gets into 800 territory and even a bit more with a RAT.

2. Rocktane

Rocktane Well-Known Member

I'll be in for a 20H or 50H! I like the direction Marshall!

Springfield Scooter likes this.
  3. JCarno

JCarno Well-Known Member

Convinced me to wait! Thank You!! :agreed:

4. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

I think Im going to wait until some people buy it, test it and open it up. I have nothing against SS amps, I own an Orange Crush Pro 120 and I think its awesome. I just have a feeling that at that price and weight, there are op-amps in there doing work in the preamp stage and other SS components alongside the tubes.

5. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Looks like Marshall hit a jackpot with Origin... Can't wait to try them out.....

Springfield Scooter likes this.
  6. Coachz

Coachz Member

Thanks but I guess I have to wait till someone gets one

7. texhex

texhex Well-Known Member

People will love the Origin amp series all the way up until it gets opened up and people see a PCB and remember the Made in Vietnam badge on the back and then suddenly it will be a single channel, Asian made amp that now sounds "bad" and has a "cheap" stigma to it...

It looks like a FANTASTIC new offering that fits perfectly into a specific market segment. It and the new DSL line are going to sell in big quantities, Marshall will make money, prosper greatly and stay in business and hopefully continue to keep improving on these great amplifiers.

Allterr likes this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I like this! Almost looks like Marshall was listening to my wish list. Gonna need to try them, I originally wanted a 20 watt head but that 50 looks really good, 26 lbs, 50-10-1 watt switch, I think the foot switch operates the boost and the fx loop. I wonder if the 6 button JVM pedal works with it? Made in Vietnam, depending on the price which should be low I could get a head and a combo. :yesway:

Mystic38 and Springfield Scooter like this.
  9. pedecamp

I LOVE that its made overseas, its a no brainer to get one without the worry of breaking the bank. Maybe in another year once Marshall sees if they were well received they can put out a limited run of hand wired ones from England for the purist snobs that want to pay triple LOL.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Dmann likes this.
  10. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Well-Known Member

I really can't wait to be able to go out and try one. Especially when my Tone Freak Naked Overdrive comes in tomorrow. I am itching to hear what an Origin hit with a Naked sounds like!

11. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking that the low weight is due more to the cabinet than the components. It’s probably that cheap imitation wood like they’re using on the dsl and the mg.

As far as solid state parts go, the boost has to be, they haven’t added another tube gain stage. I had a Hughes and Kettner grand Meister that has solid state pre amp parts and that was one of the best sounding amps I’ve ever played.

12. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

You don't need another gain stage for the boost. I will bet the only SS parts are for switching...

13. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

If the boost is solid-state, so what? It's not like no one runs a fucking pedal into the front of their amps.

14. BrentD

BrentD Active Member

Exactly! Or, alternatively, turn it off.

15. pedecamp

I was thinking maybe the low weight was due to the transformers being possibly smaller. Press board cabinets would be most likely heavier than real wood but cheaper.

el_bastardo likes this.
  16. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

As with all modern manufacturing everything is smaller and lighter now and supposedly more reliable .

17. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

LOL, not even close.

The Orgin was the last amp Santiago did for Marshall. Its voice is taken from channel two of the never released Satch Combo.

Its a good amp. Spent some time with Santiago today going over it. The power reduction is awesome, it works beautiful. If you like the 2061x you will love the Orgin.

Santiago also seen his line of amps from Harmony launch today, much like a Supro but better. Also his bass amps for Blackstar launched.

My show winner today was a set of three different all valve preamps from Victory...holy shit, Friendman who.

Dogs of Doom and The Ozzk like this.
  18. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

Just got home from NAMM. I went up to the Marshall booth this afternoon & they were closed!

Am I the only one who noticed this:

origin50.PNG

What "original Marshall amp's of the '50s"? As far as I know, Marshall claims that Amp #1 was in 1963, but, then that has been debated, as to '64, by someone who was there...

19. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I'm not getting the attraction. Do we have sound bytes yet?

I'm not opposed...just want to hear it. Lots of positive comments.

20. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Seriously, love the idea and features behind the Origin Series. One channel with boost function, the ability to blend bright and normal channels, fx loop, lower wattage option? Yes please! Totally up my alley, probably even more so due to the fact that it's a single channel. Let your volume and tone pot dictate the sounds.

Now the thing is made in Vietnam, reasonably priced at 650, I'd be all over the 50 Watt it if I had the dough. For now I will wait for more clips to surface (loved the one Marshall posted), people to open it up and show some guts and size of transformers and most importantly: let some time pass to see if these have any issues. The JCM 2K series displayed the bias drift issue after years and was UK made, the newer DSL series is Vietnamese and has held up just fine plus fixed some of the problems like the PCB mounted tubes on the older models etc. I don't give a rats ass where it's made if it's built well and sounds good and the features sure look damn promising. Now time for others to bite the bullet and test em before I eventually do. For all my old school goodness there's my original 2203 from 82 :D

Way to go Marshall!