Marshall Origin Series Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Hell yes :band:
    :cheers::dude:

tce63 likes this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Thats right!

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Tim D Stinnett

Tim D Stinnett New Member

My manual says to plug an 8 ohm cab in socket #3. But on the back of the amp it say #2 is 8 ohm and #3 is for 2x16 ohm?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Woah ,Woah woah back up, have'nt followed this thread in a while.What am I lookin at here? That looks killer.

5. Rooster-p

Rooster-p Member

I have the 20c and it came with the defective speaker Jack but I got the fix off this forum, I believe it was this forum, and I fixed mine myself. I'm no technician but I'm quite mechanically inclined, anyway it's nothing but a jumper wire that you solder right back at the Jacks and it's good as new. You have to pull the chassis but it's fairly simple.

6. Rooster-p

Rooster-p Member

I've been playing my origin 20 through a keeley germanium red dirt coming out of a love pedal amp eleven and it freaking rips. Even just playing through the germanium red dirt it's got a hell of a growl. Highly recommend. I have a seriously modded Ibanez 808s and I like the keeley a lot more. It's got this grainy growl that's hard to explain but man it's nasty. I'm running mullard's in my origin and I've done some tube rolling and they seem to work the best if you want that Marshall growl. I've tried tungsol, JJ'S, GT'S, winged C, and mullard's definitely take it. Definitely a sovtek12ax7Lps in the phase inverter position but I'm using the genalex b759 gold lion version and it definitely makes a difference. Tungsol in V1 and a g12h 55 hz celestion greenback instead of the pewny 10" it came with. Definitely the baddest origin 20c on the block.

7. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

This jumper wire? ;-)

I had this done at Marshall UK, I rang them 4 weeks after sending back to the retailer, to see if they'd got it yet. They hadn't, do they rang said retailer and organised with them, and I got it back before the end of that week... pays to be cheeky enough to call em. :-D

FB_IMG_1601504399258.jpg

steveb63, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. Rooster-p

Rooster-p Member

That's the culprit. I just didn't feel like waiting when it was such an easy fix and I'm not worried about the warranty. I can usually fix it myself. Haven't had a problem with it since.

9. davestp1

davestp1 Member

I've got an 8 ohm celestion gold. Will it be no problem to hook it into the number 2 speaker out (The 8 ohm one) I assume it will be just asking before I hook it up and get vapourized....

10. Sirroderick

Sirroderick New Member

I just bought a 20H and am hooking up a 2x12 8 ohm cab. I plugged it into either of the two 8 ohm jacks and it sounds awful and dull and weak. I plug into the 16 ohm and it roars like I would expect. I also believe my amp has the jack issue still...but I thought the issue mainly contends with trying to plug in two 16 ohm cabs at the same time and only one would work? Why doesn't it work good with just one 8 ohms cab? It sounds great in the 16 ohm jack but this can't be healthy on the the 16 ohm tap on the transformer...

fitz288 likes this.
  11. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Do the jacks have the sticker that looks like this?
    20201225_085408.jpg
    This is how it would look if you got one with the jack fix.
    I got mine used, so I don't know if this was factory or service center fixed.
    If not, the "fix" is a relatively easy fix if you can use a soldering iron. (see post #647)

And, :welcome: to the forum.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Edgar Frog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Sirroderick

Sirroderick New Member

I'm not with the amp right now...but am quite certain that I did not see this sticker. Nor do I know the build date. I'm assuming that Marshall would have remedied this when first discovered and am guessing that newer ones would not have a sticker on them? Do they then have different graphics printed on them instead of a sticker? Any way...even if has not been fixed, it should still run a single 8 ohm cabinet...and it does run it but with a VERY disappointing tone. I will check tonight on the sticker...or for that matter I will plug two patch cables into each 8 ohm jack and test for continuity between tips and sleeves.

fitz288 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Sirroderick

Sirroderick New Member

So....last night I rechecked and redid my tests and here's the scoop:
    1. My 20H is a newer one with problem eliminated. Manual (still with the unit from original purchaser) states that to use one 8 ohm cab to plug into jack #3. (furthest right) When I do this, output is weak, whimpy and if I were demoing this in a store would have steered VERY clear of.
    2. Unlike I remember from original testing the night before, Jack#2 sounded great and was what I would have expected...
    3. Jack #1 (16 ohm) sounds great as well and was using it the night before as a comparison to the others in troubleshooting. It sounds very comparable to Jack#2 which was a great relief now knowing that I can comfortably use Jack#2 now with the correct impedance.
    4. So...what's up with Jack#1???? I am suspecting that the Jack contacts on Jack#2, when not in use, are not connecting/closing well and are screwing up Jack#3 reliability... anyway...I'm just using 1 cab anyway so this will work okay...

Thanks all for your input and help!!

Sirroderick

14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum glad you got a handle on it, have you been able to run 2 16 ohm cabs through the 2 - 8 ohm jacks ??
    Cheers

fitz288 likes this.
  15. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

The manual is not correct (they fixed the jack - not the manual).
    I have my 8 ohm cab (2 ~ 16ohm Vintage 30s parallel wired) in jack#2.
    I'm not sure where I read this, (might have been here) but for a single 8 ohm load you should use jack#2
    Only use Jack #3 when doing 2x16 ohm cabs in jacks#2&3.
    The sticker in my pic above sort of shows this.
    SO:
    Jack#1 is 16 ohm
    Jack#2 is 8 ohm
    Jacks#2&3 are internal parallel wired after fix to 2x16 ohm to the 8 ohm OT tap.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021