Marshall Origin 5C as first tube amp?

Neptical

Reaction score
@timmyturner I'm sure that amp would work great for you. A good ( and cheap ) OD in the front like a Boss SD-1 will be perfect. It's really all you need my friend.

I have no experience with this amp ( though I have many Marshalls), but rest assured - that Boss SD-1 in front will give you many great tones that will rival any amp.

Good luck my friend.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here(my first thread), and I'm sorry in advance for my bad English . Basically, just another thread about Origin 5C, but I didn't found someone with similar problem as me.
Let's start from afar, I play guitar for 3 years, but first two years were not really active, I just played some 4-chord songs(Nirvana, Weezer and that kinda stuff ) at weekends. Then, maybe a year ago I've started practicing almost every day.
I've had my cheap Cort (CM15R or something) amp and Ibanez GRG140SB since I started playing. It was ok at first time but the more I played, the more I understood that I need a better amp and guitar( Hands down, Ibanez guality is very good, better than some affinity strats I've seen and tried at music stores, but the sound I get from it really disappoints me. Anyways, it's not a thread topic so let's talk about Origin 5C.
All the time I've played guitar, I wasn't gear nerd and I thought that tube amps are very expensive and only intermediate players ahould own them(basically I thought like this because my dad always told me that maybe if I'll play better, he'll get me one). But one week ago I was going through ebay looking for a replacement of my Cort amp, and somehow an Origin showed up to me. At first I was kinda confused, because it costed 180€ and the description said that it is tube amp. I checked it on thomann and was really surprised, a really good looking amp(I don't like JCM and DSL series design), it was in my price range(150-200€ for used one), and also it is freaking Marshall guys, the holy grail of guitar sound. Now I've watched almost all reviews on Origin 5C but I'm still not sure if I should buy exactly this amp.
Let's start with pros it has as for me.

Pros:
1) It is quiet( I believe that 0.5 watt mode is ok for me)
2) It has basic built in eq(for example, in some vintage amps there is only two knobs and power button)
3) It's Marshall( As I said before, holy grail of sound, all my favourite guitarists played or be playing through marshall stacks.

Cons:
1) Doesn't have reverb, but I think that I'm ready to pay extra 30-40 euro on reverb pedal( I'm thinking about TC- Electronics Skysurfer, because Hall of Fame is too expensive to buy right after the amp, maybe later)
2) 8" speaker. I'm really scared because everyone says that 8 inches is too small and that it sounds awful with this speaker. I've never played on big Marshall stacks, or really expensive Marshall combos, will the 8" speaker be a problem for me, a guy who only played on Cort amp? I consider buying an external 1x12" cabinet for this reason. I know that Origin 20C has a 10 inch speaker, but it's almost twice the price of 5C, and external cab option is even cheaper than Origin20C( used Harley Benton cab equipped with celestion 12inch speaker costs 50-100€, 150-200€ for Origin 5C, and 350-400€ for Origin 20C).
:welcome:
I think you should get it, no hesitation. It's in your price range and it will be a huge upgrade over your current amp. I sense you cannot really play loud and with this series it really needs volume to get to the promised land, but just put an overdrive - any overdrive - in front of it and you will have a blast with it! Let us know what you end up doing.

Moony

Reaction score
A DSL5C is around 200 to 250 Euros on the EU used market.
It has a 10" speaker instead of an 8" and also the power reduction which works fine there.
I personally would pick that one over a Origin 5 any day.
Just sayin'.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
A DSL5C is around 200 to 250 Euros on the EU used market.
It has a 10" speaker instead of an 8" and also the power reduction which works fine there.
I personally would pick that one over a Origin 5 any day.
Just sayin'.
I agree with you - for myself. My first tube amp was a DSL5CR and I enjoyed the versatility and I used and liked it for a year and then sold it. But the OP doesn't like the DSL design. Just like the saying that you first eat with your eyes, when you play, often you hear with your eyes as well, especially as a new player. So paying 20-30% less than the amp he doesn't like the look of? No brainer, IMO.

Moony

Reaction score
But the OP doesn't like the DSL design.

I get that.
I've linked the video to the comparison between the Origin5 and the Bugera V5.
I'd rather play the Bugera even if I really dislike the look of it if it sounds better.

Everyone has their priorities for sure, but it doesn't hurt to think about it:

That good look won't flash you every day. you'll get used to it
But you will never get used to a bad sound.

It's the same with women. ;)
Though I prefer both there...

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
I get that.
I've linked the video to the comparison between the Origin5 and the Bugera V5.
I'd rather play the Bugera even if I really dislike the look of it if it sounds better.

Everyone has their priorities for sure, but it doesn't hurt to think about it:

That good look won't flash you every day. you'll get used to it
But you will never get used to a bad sound.

It's the same with women. ;)
Though I prefer both there...
I've played the Bugera V5 a few times - just didn't like it. I actually think it looks really nice, though! I wanted to like it, especially at that price, but it sounded very closed and dark to my ears. Ended up with the DSL.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
smh...
I'm an old man like just about everyone else here... :rofl:
I've been scorched so many times I have no feelings left to offend.
I just like to see some positive feedback on a 1st time poster's questions based on something more substantial than trying an amp once and watching videos.
I was in the same boat when I came to this forum. I tried dozens of amps many suggested here.
Point is we all may have valid points at any given time.
If you can buy your first tube amp and be happy with it you are luckier than me.

I say buy it if it’s in your budget .
I always liked tube amps but for what I do in my situation I rarely use (tube amps)because for practice and recording silent is better.

I don’t say this to try to persuade the OP from buying a tube amp. I have owned so many tube amps.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @timmyturner, my issue with an O5 is the 8” speaker, have you considered a Dsl5c or Dsl5cr? Or is that the Marshall style you don’t like, the black and gold Marshalls?

Well if you can get past that, a Dsl5 would be a great choice as a first tube amp, or for anyone really. It’s a great little Marshall, and it’s got a 10” speaker, and you won’t really need an od pedal with the drive of a Dsl.

At least not right now, and DSL’s have a wide variety of tones, many more than an Origin imo.

Reaction score
Hello,

Origin = low gain, you have to know it, probably you will need an overdrive pedal.

What do you like to play ? Rock ? Métal ? Blues ? Jazz

And there is a small HP in this combo, small HP don’t sound good.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I would not buy the Origin 5.
Imho it sounds really bad.
If you like such a small amp, even a Bugera V5 is a better choice, please watch that video > Klick <

And I'd stay away from the Origin 20 too.
It's one of the worst sounding Marshalls since decades if you ask me.
Lyle from Psionic Audio figured out why that is - it has major design flaws like channel bleed with phasing problems, you can watch his detailed walkthrough in the 4 videos he's made. Here's the first one: > Klick <

Don't get me wrong, Marshall is my no1 amp manufacturer.
Just buy a DSL20 or DSL40, it's a better choice.
And if you consider a DSL5, then go for the older one without Reverb (DSL5C not DSL5CR), because that was a real all tube amp - the newer one is not, it has one 12AX7 less and a mosfet phase inverter.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both the Dsl40c’s and Origin 50H’s..
And love them both..

Cheers
I also have both the DSL and Origin - each are the 20w heads.
Both are great amps, different tones, but I like them both.
If I was forced to choose only one, I'd pick the Haze15...

Brek

Reaction score
I have had two origin 5's and as others mention its a great home pedal platform. The 8in speaker is not a disadvantage there.

I modded one and stuck a 10in creamback in, that transformed it into a spectacular amp when turned all the way up.

I took it to the northern guitar shown in UK and everyone who tried it was blown away, one was really amazed as he said his origin 20 combo did not sound anywhere near as good and 'what the hell have you done to it?' kinda deal. Ons that volume is prolly too loud for most home use. But if you have the room its pretty good cranked.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
I would not buy the Origin 5.
Imho it sounds really bad.
If you like such a small amp, even a Bugera V5 is a better choice, please watch that video > Klick <

And I'd stay away from the Origin 20 too.
It's one of the worst sounding Marshalls since decades if you ask me.
Lyle from Psionic Audio figured out why that is - it has major design flaws like channel bleed with phasing problems, you can watch his detailed walkthrough in the 4 videos he's made. Here's the first one: > Klick <

Don't get me wrong, Marshall is my no1 amp manufacturer.
Just buy a DSL20 or DSL40, it's a better choice.
And if you consider a DSL5, then go for the older one without Reverb (DSL5C not DSL5CR), because that was a real all tube amp - the newer one is not, it has one 12AX7 less and a mosfet phase inverter.
Jesus Christ, Moony, you are on a major war path against the Origin! Trust me , that ignorant tech of yours speaks with a forked tongue :) greetings from Canada :) I wouldn't let your tech touch any of my amps for one second. Anyone who thinks that this doesn't sound like a classic British amp is a dangerous idiot:

The guy said that he didn't use any pedals.

To the OP, don't listen to Moony, he's a good person only somewhat misguided :-(

Last edited:

Moony

Reaction score
@vivanchenko

Please take a look at the date...
That was the beginning, the first time I said "something against the Origin" - how dare I!
And that hysterical guy lost his mind then...

But I'm not even surprised that someone (you) brought this up again. :rolleyes:

And just fyi he is not "my" guitar tech. I'm in Germany, never had any contact to him.

If you have these quirks with him and think he messes up other people's amps since 30 years, why not talking to him and clear things up?
I'm not his attorny.

Please stop dragging me into this shit over and over again!

vivanchenko

Reaction score
@vivanchenko

Please take a look at the date...
That was the beginning, the first time I said "something against the Origin" - how dare I!
And that hysterical guy lost his mind then...

But I'm not even surprised that someone (you) brought this up again. :rolleyes:

And just fyi he is not "my" guitar tech. I'm in Germany, never had any contact to him.

If you have these quirks with him and think he messes up other people's amps since 30 years, why not talking to him and clear things up?
I'm not his attorny.

Please stop dragging me into this shit over and over again!
Ok, sorry. I don't have anything against you. That tech though... I don't know, how is it even possible to be so clueless... Do yourself a favour, stay away from him.

Latest posts