Marshall Origin 50 combo speaker swap-out

JazzBrandee

Reaction score
Good morning/evening/time of day wherever you are,

Long time lurker here, but thought I'd post for some advice on a speaker swap-out on my Marshall Origin 50c as my first mod for it. I love the amp, but from what I've seen and heard online, a speaker upgrade gives a massive boost in how it sounds.

I'm split between the Greenback and the Creamback (leaning more towards the Creamback), however I've got a question regarding wattage.

It's the 50 watt version of the amp, however I always run it on low so I can crank the master on it. It suits most of the venues I play (it's loud as all hell!), plus if I play somewhere larger we're always micced up.

I'm hoping to get something which will break up sooner than the stock speaker - so would going for a lower wattage speaker be a good idea? Obviously, I don't want to blow the thing as soon as I switch it on, but if I'm never running above the low setting, would that be a safe idea?

If I'm completely on the wrong track here - do let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Jack

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
I have the Origin20H and a 212 with G12M-25's.
The tone is awesome with the amp cranked and the greenbacks being pushed.
With the 50C on mid (10w) or low (5w) power settings, you should be fine - although this is NOT a foolproof solution.
But there are also other greenback style speakers that can handle higher wattage.
The Eminence Legend GB128 is 50w, and Scumback makes a few greenback tone speakers in different watt ratings.

JazzBrandee

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
I have the Origin20H and a 212 with G12M-25's.
The tone is awesome with the amp cranked and the greenbacks being pushed.
With the 50C on mid (10w) or low (5w) power settings, you should be fine - although this is NOT a foolproof solution.
But there are also other greenback style speakers that can handle higher wattage.
The Eminence Legend GB128 is 50w, and Scumback makes a few greenback tone speakers in different watt ratings.

Thanks fitz, most appreciated!

Yeah, I thought it would work in theory - but if it's not foolproof I may go the safer route and get a wattage suitable for the amp and just pair it with an overdrive pedal to give it a bit more oomph.

JazzBrandee

Reaction score
Of those two definitely the Creamback

Yes, just hearing the comparisons online (not the same as hearing it yourself, I know), it just sounds more suited to what I'm playing. Plus I think it looks gorgeous - not that anyone will ever see it haha.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may go the safer route and ... just pair it with an overdrive pedal to give it a bit more oomph.
I hit the front end of my O20H with a variety of dirt pedals (SD-1, BD-2 & FZ5) for all kinds of great drive tones at any volume.
Don't forget EQ in the loop - jaw dropping better tone with the Origins.

JazzBrandee

Reaction score
I hit the front end of my O20H with a variety of dirt pedals (SD-1, BD-2 & FZ5) for all kinds of great drive tones at any volume.
Don't forget EQ in the loop - jaw dropping better tone with the Origins.

I'm hitting the front of mine with the SD-1 at the moment, hadn't thought about using an EQ as well though. Is it that much of a game changer? What one do you run with?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hitting the front of mine with the SD-1 at the moment, hadn't thought about using an EQ as well though. Is it that much of a game changer? What one do you run with?
I have a GE-7 in the loop on the O20H.
Yes, it's that much of a game changer.
I have EQ in the loop on every amp I have with a loop (and one out front on the Class5).

JazzBrandee

Reaction score
I have a GE-7 in the loop on the O20H.
Yes, it's that much of a game changer.
I have EQ in the loop on every amp I have with a loop (and one out front on the Class5).

Cheers mate, never would have crossed my mind to try an EQ pedal as well. Sounds like that's my next two purchases sorted then!

MrTravesty

Reaction score
Switched out the power tubes from JJs to Mullard EL34s, and swapped out a 50w alnico hempcone speaker - Eminence Canis Major. (No longer in production) - from the original. JJs in the v1, v2 and v3. Totally changed the sonic character of the amp from anemic to very muscular and bold with the sweetest high end. Think I found some major mojo here...

jvmiLLer

Reaction score
Switched out the power tubes from JJs to Mullard EL34s, and swapped out a 50w alnico hempcone speaker - Eminence Canis Major. (No longer in production) - from the original. JJs in the v1, v2 and v3. Totally changed the sonic character of the amp from anemic to very muscular and bold with the sweetest high end. Think I found some major mojo here...
Do you have experience with other Eminence speakers?

Got a 50 combo myself and think its a litlle to bright, as I live in Brazil, celestion speakers are a little hard to find. So I can buy eminence from a local dealer, and you said the Canis Major is no longer in production has to be a speaker that I can buy brand new.

All I want is to get the tone a little darker, been using with treble 0 - presence 1 - tilt 2 and when cranked its way too bright. The amp is all stock

Latest posts