Marshall Mosfet 100 Reverb 5100 1x12 Combo

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Paging @anitoli :) Also, here's a pic of the amp. Thanks

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSBf4sXa-lJ2oJ1XelOGS0vMrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A
Very clean an well kept. Cheers

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Hi @anitoli, I'm not suyre if you missed this, but I was asking about the boost mode loudness.

I have the boost volume on 6 (gain about 3:00) and the clean volume at about 3 to match volumes. Does that seem normal? When the volume was jumping/cutting in and out previously before I cleaned all the pots, it was super loud with the boost volume on 3 or so. So, now I have no clue if that was just inherent with the issue, or that's where it should be at that setting? The clean seems so much louder than the boost mode? Sitting in front of the amp, the volume wasn’t bone crushing loud at all.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Gotta play with the knobs to find the sweet spots.
It's been many years since i played through the 5213 ( long since sold) but i don't think i had the volumes equal to get an equal level.

Thanks. Unfortunately, you can’t blend the channels like can be done on the 3210 Lead 100 Mosfet head.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Is there any way to tell if the boost channel/amp in general is running at full power? Can that be scoped? Just curious.

WharfRat

Reaction score
I'm new to Marshall amps and, in no way want to hijack this thread with my questions. Is this amp comparable to the JC-120? If not, is there a Marshall model that is comparable, or preferably superior to the Roland JC-120. A Marshall with excellent cleans, reverb, chorus/vibrato, distortion (JC-120's is poor, at best as I'm sure you all know), multiple inputs, effect loops and really loud?

I'm asking here because you all seem extremely knowledgeable about older SS amps and obviously love Marshall amps and all I know about Marshall's is what I've read here and I've wanted one for over 30 years. I'll take this to a new thread if it becomes too much of a disruption to @Troy T. Blues thread or if you ask me to. Thank you

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm new to Marshall amps and, in no way want to hijack this thread with my questions. Is this amp comparable to the JC-120? If not, is there a Marshall model that is comparable, or preferably superior to the Roland JC-120. A Marshall with excellent cleans, reverb, chorus/vibrato, distortion (JC-120's is poor, at best as I'm sure you all know), multiple inputs, effect loops and really loud?

I'm asking here because you all seem extremely knowledgeable about older SS amps and obviously love Marshall amps and all I know about Marshall's is what I've read here and I've wanted one for over 30 years. I'll take this to a new thread if it becomes too much of a disruption to @Troy T. Blues thread or if you ask me to. Thank you
:yesway::welcome:
To The Forum
I have no experience with the Roland amp.
But I strongly believe that any of the older Marshall SS amps are a capable source for what you’re looking for.
With the exception of the effects you mentioned.

Cheers

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Marshall with excellent cleans, reverb, chorus/vibrato, distortion ..., multiple inputs, effect loops and really loud?
:welcome:
I also have no experience with the JC-120.
If you're looking for a loud SS Marshall with integrated effects, have a look at the larger MG or Valvestate amps.

WharfRat

Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcomes! The fact that I have no experience with Marshall & you guys have no experience with Roland's JC-120 should be a hindrance to progress… but it isn't, at all! This is what I was able to find:

1st let me say that I have owned & played, a new Roland JC-120, circa 1990. I have always wanted to own a Marshall or Mesa Boogie. If you grew up during the '80's or '90's and didn't dream of owning a Marshall full stack or Boogie MKII - MKII+, there was something very, very wrong with you 😜.
I was pleasantly surprised at what the Marshall MG102FX had to offer. I chose that MG model because it's physically similar to the JC-120 and offers similar effects. The differences are what I'm really struggling with.

Main differences between the Marshall MG102FX & the Roland JC-120 : MG 102 / JC-120
Dimensions H×W×D (approx) - 20"×27"×10" / 25"×30"×11"
Weight - 51 Lbs / 64 Lbs
Channels (kind of confusing) - 4(store & recall) / 2? 4? 1?
Inputs ¼" (front face) - 1 / 4
Inputs ¼ (back side, effects loop) - 2 (1 footswitch, 1 effects loop) / 4 (3 footswitch, 1 effects loop)
Outputs ¼"(front face) - 0 / up to 3 of the inputs can be used as outputs
Speakers (#, size in " & output in w) - 2 × 12" (50w each, 100w total) / 2 × 12" (60w each, 120w combined)
On board effects - Reverb ×2, phaser, flanger, delay ×4, vib, chorus / reverb, chorus, vib
Included accessories - PEDL 90010 footswitch / 4 detachable casters
Price (approx) - $600 / $1180

I'm more confused now than before I started writing this post, lol. How good are the reverb, chorus, clean & distortions on the MG102FX? Because at nearly half the price of the JC-120 the MG102FX looks damn good, on paper and I've always wanted to feel that Marshall crunch. But I know the (older) JC-120's chorus & reverb are phenomenal, as are those speakers, and I still have my BOSS Heavy Metal pedal from 1988-1989 to make that makes even the JC-120 crunch.

What would you guys do if you were me? I know it's a Marshall board but maybe you can make sense of the channel & input/output discrepancies in my research. In 14 years of playing, I never used the back of my amp. It's embarrassing, at 46, finding out that you never fully utilized most of your equipment 🤫

Last edited by a moderator:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm more confused now than before I started writing this post, lol. How good are the reverb, chorus, clean & distortions on the MG102FX? Because at nearly half the price of the JC-120 the MG102FX looks damn good, on paper and I've always wanted to feel that Marshall crunch. But I know the (older) JC-120's chorus & reverb are phenomenal, as are those speakers, and I still have my BOSS Heavy Metal pedal from 1988-1989 to make that makes even the JC-120 crunch.

What would you guys do if you were me? I know it's a Marshall board but maybe you can make sense of the channel & input/output discrepancies in my research. In 14 years of playing, I never used the back of my amp. It's embarrassing, at 46, finding out that you never fully utilized most of your equipment 🤫
I've never played the MG102FX, but I used to have its little brother in a 15w micro stack - same basic control functions.
And I'd say again, I have absolutely no knowledge of the Roland.
MG overdrive tone is kinda transitory, and I wouldn't describe, or ever heard the built-in effects/reverb described as phenomenal.
The differences in price may well be justified, and may also not be a good equivalent amp for comparison.

Are you open to other options, like a tube amp?
The DSL40CR is a very popular Marshall do-all combo amp that would blow away the MG and probably the Roland.
Throw a decent chorus pedal of your choice in the loop and you'll not be disappointed.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score

Hi! No disruption at all. It's nice to see this thread again. Anyways, I wouldn't really compare this amp to a JC-120. And I think the JC-120 is probably a better amp for clean. For distortion, the 5100 is pretty darn good and does both drive and clean pretty well. The JC-120 would sound so buch bigger and has that lovely chorus. Personally, I think that the only Marshall that would be comparable to the JC-120 is the Marshall Club & Country amp. However, they are rare these days and going for big bucks. Model 4140. It's not SS and weighs a ton. There are other old SS Marshall amps that would be closer - such as a Marshall 5212 which is a 2x12.

Last edited:

Latest posts