Marshall MG15FX audio input quality is very low

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Zafer Altun, Oct 26, 2020.

1. jkratz

jkratz New Member

I used to stuff bits of this or that together in one do-it-all box just to see. You could build a speaker cabinet for the purpose of recreating fine hifi music: Woofer/midrange, tweeter. Add the appropriate electronics to re-create hifi music. And speakers out both side so as to disperse the sound nicely like a stereo system. Then you add the guitar electronics and mix that in so that it eq's like a guitar amp should, with its narrower and tailored sonic profile. I'd guess the little modeling amps do some of this to be super flexible. Or the acoustic guitar amp and PA combos for gigging in the park and so on. Back to your project: The guitar section can all be tube if you want, but it is filtered to sound like a guitar amp once it comes out the hifi speakers. But you can put a separate speaker in there for the guitar to sing through. Now you have invented the El Camino, a car that's a truck, or a truck that's a car! But that's ideal for neither! And your amp is getting heavy...

I agree that the "CD" input is something a guitar purist won't use unless his boom box or stereo isn't nearby, and lets others think they can use a guitar amp as a PA. No real harm being done here. Some of those big old console stereos I have seen with "guitar" as an input.

2. Ross MacGregor

Ross MacGregor New Member

Actually it DOES matter. If you were a sound engineer, as you claim, then you'd know something about frequency range and response and how guitar amplifiers and speakers differ from a stereo/av receiver made for music. It's not rocket science, but you're an engineer, you know this already. Right?

Can those devices amplify a guitar and make it sound good? No. A guitar amplifier is for guitar, which is mostly mid range. Not for stereo music. You're really not getting it clearly. And you bought probably one of THE worst Marshalls money can buy and now you're complaining about using it for music? SMH

3. mfratus2001

mfratus2001 New Member

I use an MP3 player on all the guitar amps and audiophile amps I repair. They are almost all capable of very clean sound reproduction. Plug in a hifi speaker, and it will sound wonderful.
    The problem is that your phone's headphone jack is probably producing sound optimized for ear buds, which means it is bass-heavy to make up for the lack of genuine bass response in ear buds.
    Also, the amplifier in almost all phones is Class D, and they expect an inductive load that has an inpedance of 32 Ohms. Your guitar amp aux input is probably 10K Ohms, non-inductive.
    You can help by using a Y cable, plugging ear buds into one jack and running the other jack to your amp aux input.
    Most guitar amps playing full-range music on hifi speakers sound wonderful if set for a clean sound.
    I'm a long-time tech with engineering experience and training.

4. airbuko

airbuko New Member

Line in is designed to play your guitar together with track from your ex. phone. It's not design to play high quality sound simply because it's guitar amplifier and guitar speaker