Marshall Master #2203 !?? Worth it ?

Reaction score
Wow:) US folks are lucky.
Just go into a vintage shop and find a 70's JMP 2203.
Modded or not if the iron is the genuine original I would grub it.
I don't even think we have more than 3 of these in the whole country.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These days 1700 is a good price. Buy it. Especially if the mods can be removed without leaving any traces.
Last week you said you passed on a unmolested vintage slp for $1500. What makes this 2203 that's modded with an extra master worth $1700, when the slp you referenced last week wasn't worth $1500? Generally speaking the slp's seem to draw a bit more coin straight across the board. Just curious as to what makes this one worth more in your eyes.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
Last week you said you passed on a unmolested vintage slp for $1500. What makes this 2203 that's modded with an extra master worth $1700, when the slp you referenced last week wasn't worth $1500? Generally speaking the slp's seem to draw a bit more coin straight across the board. Just curious as to what makes this one worth more in your eyes.
If I came across a SLP for $1500 I’d buy it regardless of the crap storm waiting for me at home

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I passed on a 1987 that had been previously modded and bore the scars of it, because I have plenty of Marshalls already and the Mesa Mark IV for 1100 dollars was a better deal and can deliver tones I wan't that a 1987 can't. Plus I can make a larger profit if I sell the Mark IV.

I couldn't buy both. One just made more sense to me than the other.

I already have three 1959s and a 2203. I'm not dying to get a 1987.

racerxrated2

Reaction score
A 2nd master on a 2203/4 can be useful; only way to get the power section cooking is with major volume…the 2nd master allows you to introduce power tube saturation to go along with preamp gain at a much lower volume with that extra MV.
My first modded Marshall was an 85 2204 with a Lee Jackson mod; part of that mod was a 2nd master.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
I hear ya. Prices are absolutely crazy right now.

$1700 for that 2203?...I would have it sitting next to me right now..working or not.
Oh it worked, and it sounded pretty effin good. Next step would be to play my guitar through it.

This time I’ll really take notice of the dynamics. I really make it a point to be as clean as I can when picking, but this amp made everything sound good. I kind of got the sense that there was a pretty good amount of compression.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
Want tom
I passed on a 1987 that had been previously modded and bore the scars of it, because I have plenty of Marshalls already and the Mesa Mark IV for 1100 dollars was a better deal and can deliver tones I wan't that a 1987 can't. Plus I can make a larger profit if I sell the Mark IV.

I couldn't buy both. One just made more sense to me than the other.

I already have three 1959s and a 2203. I'm not dying to get a 1987.
Would you like to gift me one of those 1959s!? Just kidding

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
A 2nd master on a 2203/4 can be useful; only way to get the power section cooking is with major volume…the 2nd master allows you to introduce power tube saturation to go along with preamp gain at a much lower volume with that extra MV.
My first modded Marshall was an 85 2204 with a Lee Jackson mod; part of that mod was a 2nd master.
I definitely see the use for it. Pre amp and power amp distortions are different and both offer their own color to the tone.

Latest posts