Marshall + Les Paul pick-ups

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Silverdome, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

There was a pair of Seth Lovers going for $170 but I sat on it for a few hours and they were gone by the time I decided to make the purchase. I watched a few demos of Antiquities vs Seth Lovers and they both sounded so good I determined I'd be content with either of them and was going to purchase whatever set I could find the cheapest.

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and SlyStrat like this.
  2. 93studiolite

93studiolite Member

I’ve got a 93 Studio Lite that had the 496/500 set in it. I actually didn’t mind the 496, but never could get along with the 500t. The 500 always sounded awful anytime I added a decent amount of gain. I finally changed them out about two years ago. I put a Manlius T-top replica in the neck and a Vinyl (slightly over wound t-top) in the bridge. The improvement was huge. I actually like playing it now.

Mitchell Pearrow and jeffb like this.
  3. GT08

GT08 Well-Known Member

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my money on Pick-ups I don't need.

Much better off spending it on drugs, booze and women, (not necessarily in that order).

Rock n' roll

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Silverdome likes this.
  4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

From MI also?

5. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

I like the 498T - it's like a Classic 57 on steroids! - It is a halfway house between the classic 57 and the 500T!

nickfox likes this.
  6. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

Yes sir! Born and raised and as you can imagine the MC5 and the Stooges influenced me to buy my first Marshall.

Mitchell Pearrow and ken361 like this.
  7. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member

I grew up south of Detroit, small world.

Now onto business, this statement "Love my speakers, I have old greenbacks. That part of the equation is staying put." That's all well and good but have you actually played the guitar through other cabs with different speakers to determine its the pups you need to change and not the speakers.

Also have you tried adjusting the pickup heights, the standard height is only a recommended starting point.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

Alright, I posted a dumb ass video of the 496 500t pickups. Excuse the playing...I made this in 3 minutes today at about 4PM in between meetings so I was very rushed and then I had to get this over to my tech before he left. My guitar tech has a great ear for gear and is going to give me his honest opinion as well. Probably nuts for changing up these pickups but sometimes in life you gotta experiment and take a chance.

Let me know what you think.

wakjob, nickfox and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

That doesn’t sound to bad to me

Silverdome and nickfox like this.
  10. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

I usually wind up with a Rio Grande BBQ w/500K pots in the bridge of all my guitars. I don't use the neck much in my Les Pauls, but the Buffalo Bucker works really well in my PRS 245. I have tried the SD JB/Jazz, 59 set, Dimarzio SD & 36th anv.

11. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Think about the Silverdome ... what kept it alive as a structure? Was it the foundation? The roof? The pressure in the middle?

Side note, I was at this game with my Dad ... the loudness was such that he got so sick that he had to walk out to the concession stands. The ultimate game of highs and lows, with everything happening in the middle.

Mitchell Pearrow and Silverdome like this.
  12. dro

dro Well-Known Member

If your tone is lacking Seymore will get you there.

13. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

Outside of old Tiger stadium it was hands down my favorite venue in Michigan. Saw the Bad Boy Pistons beat the Celtics there in regular season at a world record setting crowd basketball game. Place was rocking. Saw Metallica and GNR play there during the machine gun drums of Metallica One the place was rocking at 11. I started a rock n roll band called Silverdome that was starting to get some momentum going....was supposed to record with a punk legend producing us just weeks before the plague shut down the US. Hopefully soon.

14. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

Also, that video got me worked up. Only the Lions would get penalized for noise but yet Seattle is allowed to build that stupid stadium.

15. DC135er

DC135er Member

I installed DiMarzio PAF Pros in mine after Satch recommended them years ago. They seem to pop the mid-range which is exactly what I was wanting. I'm totally happy with them.

16. DC135er

DC135er Member

Glad to hear you're enjoying the JCM900. I absolutely love mine and couldn't ask for a better amp.

17. LargeBoxSmallBox

LargeBoxSmallBox Well-Known Member

This is slightly off your topic, but I'm curious, what are the settings on your amp in this video?

18. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

Presence at 0 - I honestly don't even know what presence does and whenever I turn it up I don't care for it.
    Bass 1
    Middle 3
    Treble 7
    Sensitivity as low as I can set it without losing volume
    Master around 2 but with the band I have it around 4 or 5
    Preamp volume 10 and sometimes I bring it down to around 4-6 or so.

I always mess with my tone and volume knobs on the Les paul as well to find a sound.

19. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Active Member

I removed 490s from two of my gibsons and went two unusual vintage routes. One pair I put in was Duncan Jazz neck and bridge set. I got a touch more power but mostly the guitar totally became alive. More touch sensitive and clear. Really expressive pickups. In my SG I put a DiMarzio Air Norton in the bridge with a PAF Master neck. The A.N. gives that smokey midrange my school buddies in the 70s got out of their Gibsons and the PAFM is clear and toasty. Both swaps were far less money than Antiquities and I'm totally in love with the sound.

J Saw and Silverdome like this.
  20. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

That's great to read and I'm hoping for the same. I should have put this guitar at a cleaner setting I think that's where the limitations really show, it's got a loud bass and mid-range honk. It does live well in high gain. Should have the guitar back today...I hope.

Dean Swindell likes this.