Marshall JVM205c Emulated Line Out Question

xRaptis94

Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies for what I'm sure is a very elementary question but I couldn't find anything online and would rather be safe than sorry.

I have a Marshall JVM205 combo and would like to use the emulated line out for silent recording. Is it as simple as using the cable straight into my Audio Interface and using IR's on my PC or do I need a load box ?

I have read that people state to be extra careful as you can blow up your amp if there is not a speaker connected to take the load, would this also be an issue in a combo amp or is this exclusive to amps heads given my speaker is always connected in a combo amp.

Would really appreciate if someone can educate me on this.

Thankyou in advance.

Moony

Reaction score
Welcome to Marshallforum! :)

The emulated out is only the signal from the preamp plus a simple cab simulation.
You can use it with Power On and Standby in Off position as the standby only affects the power amp.
As soon as you put the Standby in the On position (that's what you do when using the amp with a cab) you need a cab (or a load box).

xRaptis94

Reaction score
Thankyou ! Got it that makes much more sense - just one more question please, is it possible to use power amp and cab simulators in place of a load box or are these not interchangeable things ?

Moony

Reaction score
just one more question please, is it possible to use power amp and cab simulators in place of a load box or are these not interchangeable things ?

I'm not sure which device you actually mean.
You need to look up the specs the manufacturer gives to make sure how that particular device works.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
One of the interesting things about the emulated like out (if I remember correctly), Santiago said the emulated like out sends a signal that is close to the sounds of the JVM when plaed through a 1960 cab with the stock G12T-75 speakers.

If you're a player who wants to use other speaker simulators/IR/etc, then perhaps it might be a better idea to turn on the effects loop and then run a cable from the effects send to your recording device(s).

The emulated line out is very useable, imo, but not everyone wants that particular sound. Still, it's a good thing to say you have options with the JVM4 and JVM2 amps.