Marshall Jubilee Classic Priest sound

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JacksonCharvelAddict, Aug 25, 2020.

1. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I was jamming tonight and I decided to mess around with the rhythm clip mode since I normally just use the lead channel. Holy shit it nails the Judas Priest point of entry tone. I didn't even try. I just switch over to the clean channel and hit the clip and there is was. With my Charvel San Dimas I was transported back in time to the glory days of Priest. This would have been better if I had some cocaine but I can work on that part later. Anyone else have any examples of albums that the Jube can match with the rhythm clip? I know when I first got the amp it was perfect for Toys in the Attic era Aerosmith tones.

2. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Well glory would have been before British Steel for me but Painkiller came back to glory. I’m old and old school . That being said any Priest tone that easily done is glory , lol
    Rock on JCA !

3. JacksonCharvelAddict

I totally agree with you on Painkiller. I feel like Priest has several stages in their career. Just when you least expect it they release something that is not only awesome but raises the bar for everything after it. I really love Sad Wings of Destiny. I think British steel was a high point or them too. My daughter says that Firepower is the best album of the century so far..lol. If it was able to reach an 11 year old girl like that and become her favorite then they must be doing something right.

4. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Awesome , good to hear . I thought there was no hope for the future generations of metal hellions . Lol I am also a huge fan of Sad Wings . Sin after Sin with Simon Phillis on drums and Hell Bent for Leather with Les Binks on drums.

5. FogDweller

FogDweller Active Member

The Heading out to the Highway tone on the Point of Entry album is indeed epic.

6. Shawn Kawvey

Shawn Kawvey Active Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  7. JacksonCharvelAddict

I noticed that the presence seems to do a lot for the type of tone you get. I feel like running it lower gives a much more modern sound and higher is a more classic sound. Running in half power mode makes it sound more modern to my ears too.

8. Shawn Kawvey

9. JacksonCharvelAddict

That was the song it sounded like to me. Great stuff.

10. JacksonCharvelAddict

I have been running mine as a full stack with my master up around 6. Feels like it will bring my house down..LOL

11. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Greetings, The first thing I have to ask is how do you dial in your 2555X on the front panel ? As I would like to try your way of getting that Priest tone ? It's been so long without the candy , 2004 and my buddy's parents 50th anniversary party , and what a time that was into the next day . Never made it home that night . First the food and drink and then later the real party began . No expense was spared at the catering hall that was hired for the party .

12. El Gringo

It's funny with my 2 half stacks , which I have been running both of them on 5 on the Output master and lead master , and I cant really tell a difference from before last December when I go the 2nd 2555X half stack . A few weeks ago I had my right ear clogged ( swimmers ear ) and I could only hear out of my left ear and my head was telling me to turn it up ( which I didn't ) and it sounded so weird like twilight zone . Things we take for granted in life right .

13. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I hate to nitpick but if we are all talking about Jubilee, it makes way more sense to me just to use the dial numbers on the amp instead of clock. It will be the same for all of us thats why they are there. When I see a 10 my brain automatically goes to full up. Gain on 3 is very different from gain on 3 oclock.

Which amp do you have? The new Mini and Studio amps are cathode bias and low power is runnjng with a dropped voltage. The big boys are using pentode/ Triode for the high low power settings.
    I should play with the clip more, I just basically live in the lead mode.

14. El Gringo

I was quite confused as well and wondered what Marshall knobs go to 12 ? Is this Spinal Tap ? I am the same as I footswitch from clean to the lead channel . I think I used the clip mode once just to try it out when I first got my first 2555X half stack in 2015 and liked the lead channel best .

15. Jethro Rocker

Clip[ is OK with a boost up front for me but then the lead channel doesnt need the boost when I switch. I use mine live mainly

16. Shawn Kawvey

17. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that their tone was JCM800s, but I saw a video of the guy that played the Vee go through his rig from back in the day at it was just a 50 watt plexi on 10.

I can see the RC mode getting that with the right settings. An SV20 might do it a little bit better, but not at about any volume level.

18. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I have used the clip maybe 5 times in 30 years.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  19. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I'm bad about using o'clock.

I get your enthusiasm for the rhythm clipped channel. I have the 2525H. That channel grabbed me instantly because it has a throwback vibe. Took a while before i warmed up to the lead channel. I guess it was the mood i was in then. Lead channel is my favorite now. I use a pair of Celestion EVH 20's in my 2061CX.

20. Jethro Rocker

I am not old school anything really so lead channel for me.

El Gringo and Mitchell Pearrow like this.