Marshall JTM 45 which pedals for hendrix/zeppelin/deep purple tones

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by kvxmg, Apr 8, 2021 at 8:45 AM.

1. kvxmg

kvxmg Member

Hi Guys,

i have a 30w marshall jtm 45 with KT66 power tubes, two 12AX7 preamp going into a mesa 4x12 cab with v30s

im new too the tube amp/pedal world i previously used modelers and have me learking around and searching with overwhelming number of choices of pedals for tones.

tones i want to try recreate are hendrix, zeppelin, ritchie blackmore tones which all this guitarist used marshals at some point, my JTM45 doesnt have much gain unless i really crank it.

so for jimmy page tones ive seen on the internet they recommend a Catalinbread RAH but turns out this replicates his tone using HIWATT amp during royal albert hall concert.

and blues breaker pedal is meant to simulate a JTM45 combo, so as i have the amp do i still need these pedals or is there a specific pedal that works better with a JTM45 i already have.

which pedals would you recommend ?

- treble booster?
    - blues breaker?
    - a fuzz?
    - overdrive pedal?

i already have a TC electronics flash back delay pedal.

appreciate any feedback.

Thanks guys.

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Mike J, FracStrat and fitz288 like this.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh, and welcome to the Marshall Forum!

:cheers:

Kelia and FracStrat like this.
  4. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

In just those 3 guitar players, there are so many tones that there's no one set-up.
    As @scozz said, great amp to have a tone quest with.
    I'd suggest starting with some OD in the front to juice the gain at lower volumes.
    Favorites here seem to be SD-1 or a tube screamer variant.
    Also consider an EQ of some sort, too bad there's no fx loop on that amp.

FracStrat and scozz like this.
  5. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Being a fellow JTM45 user. You may not want to hear this. But my FIRST suggestion to you would be to ditch the V-30's. Your JTM45 will have muuuuuuch better tone with a Greenback loaded 100 watt 4x12 cab.
    Save the V-30's for a JMP or JCM head. I had a friend who wanted the tone of my JTM45 through a V-30 cab so I plugged mine into my 1960BV. And the whole demeaner of the amp changed. For the worse. It didn't even sound like a JTM45 anymore. That said, being a fan of Paige tones since 1969. From the Supro to the Marshall and Orange and who knows what else in the studio. There's really allot of factors besides amp choice. There is mic choice and placement. Added compression to balance out the dynamics. Preamp going in to the Studer or Ampex or whatever. How the Eq might be tweaked to fit in the mix.
    The JTM45 is a great starting point. I was a digital FX user for decades. For ease of use and transport live. When I started setting up tones for studio. I wanted to loose that digital blanket. After doing allot of research. And finding that I didn't like all those pedals they sell at Guitar Center. I landed at Carl Martin. Wanting a pedalboard with ease of use. One click change to switch multiple effects. I realized this was gonna cost. So I bought one pedal at a time. When I got all my pedals I bought the board. Connected everything with George L's. Now I have the best tone (I feel). I sound like no one else around my area. Gigged with this setup from about 2008 to 2016. Here is my current Pedalboard. Take it or leave it. I like it.
    PEDALBOARD.jpgIII.jpg
    P.S. the Hardwire Reverb RARELY gets turned on. I like my signal to be not so muddy. The Echo's and Delay's sound much better for extension in my opinion. I don use allot.
    The Hot Drive-N-Boost is my go to O/D. The AC/Tone is a bit thinner but still very useable. Pair that with the clean Echotone and Classic Chorus, and you'll nail Ten Years Gone.

steveb63, FracStrat and lespaul339 like this.
  6. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

All of the pedals you just listed. JTM's take pedals so well. THere's tons of different sounds to be had by pushing it with lots of different fuzz's, overdrive's, and distortion's. The JTM 45 is the most versatile Marshall out there IMO because of how well it takes pedals and how much pedals can have an impact on your tone. It's my favorite amp. If you really want to make her sing at lower volumes put in a PPIMV!

And I also second the post above saying to run it through Greenbacks!

This is my board that I run through my JTM, I can get all of the tones you listed above and then some.
    [​IMG]

Stevesmith67, wntbtw and FracStrat like this.
  7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You have to go for an approximation of those tones otherwise you will go crazy going down the effects pedal rabbit hole, there's literally thousands to choose from today each claiming to do something different. Really they all dont do something different youll find that many of these so called original pedals are copies or variants of one another, a safe bet is get a Boss SD-1 and an Ibanez TS-9, these are the standard most pedals are derived from in my opinion. If you dont want 2 pedals I think a Fulltone OCD can do a pretty good approximation of those tones. :yesway:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    SkyMonkey, JamminJeff and FracStrat like this.
  8. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

The closest thing I have to a JTM45 is the Vintage Modern. Like many other Marshall tube/valve amps, it usually comes down to pushing the amp to the next level of break-up. Some people get their first real Marshall and fight with it by dumping hard clipping distortion pedals into it and then wonder why it no longer sounds like a Marshall.

My personal experience (YMMV) with many of the Marshall amps that I use and own, and the one's I've had or used in the past is simple. Plug into the amp directly. No pedals. Just the guitar, cable, amp, speakers/cabinet. Learn what it can and can't do and eq it to sound the way YOU want to hear it. Take some time doing this. Maybe even a week or two before moving on to using pedals.

I agree with other posts that speakers absolutely matter, but we all hear and play differently. Good speakers are expensive, but not all expensive speakers will sound good to you or me. Greenbacks are the general go-to, but there are many, many options. Just breaking-in any speaker is really a good first step, but after a certain point, the sound won't change. (IMO).

Long story short, start looking into a mild boost, pre-amp or what they now call a, transparent overdrive. Distortion and Fuzz are a different mess altogether, but if you don't take the time now to discover your "foundation tone/s" adding a wall of distortion will just cover up what could be great natural amp tones.

One more thing. As you add pedals, it's always a good idea to double back to where you started and plug straight in to check your original tone/s. A poorly set-up and often too large a pedal board (yes, I know, heresy) can kill the front end of a good tube amp. It's like shooting yourself in the foot and blaming the gun.

The amp/speaker/cab is your core tone foundation. It's a very personal PA for the guitarist, if you will. :agreed:

FracStrat likes this.
  9. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If it were I, a 425 or 1960AX would be my first purchase..

scozz likes this.
  10. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

What I currently have, ranked by favorite (today):

Maxon OD-820
    Rockett Rockaway
    Rockett Archer Ikon
    Timmy
    Chase Tone Secret Preamp
    JHS Angry Driver
    TS-808
    Rockett Majestic
    Pettyjohn Iron
    Skreddy Major
    Catalinbread Naga Viper
    Catalinbread RAH
    BOSS OS-2

wntbtw likes this.
  11. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

A ss rectifier plug would be top of my list—$19!

12. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

Hi Dro, LesPaul339,
    I run my JTM45 through a 4 X 12 with 30 Watt G12H's BlackBacks (circa 1975) and like the sound and power handling capabilities .
    Have you ever compared your JTM45's through these type of speakers Vs G12 25's ? I may be missing out.

neikeel likes this.
  13. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Welcome!!!

For Hendrix you want a Fuzz pedal and possibly a wah, any will do but if your obsessed on getting really accurate go for a quality Fuzz Face clone otherwise pretty much any fuzz will suffice.

I'm guessing for Page a basic overdrive to get the amp sounding "pushed" at realistic volumes. I'm not too into page so I'm not sure of what pedals he may of used but when he played Marshalls I know he played them loud!

Blackmoore you'll want a treble boost or more accurately an Akai preamp pedal, that will give you that distinct distortion he has. There are many options available on the market all in varying degrees of accuracy.

To get some overdrive I'd recommend looking into a Tube Screamer variation or a Boss SD-1. I'll add that a Marshall in a pedal can he beneficial if you want to play at lower volumes. Yes you may own the real thing but you can "crank" the pedal instead of the amp. My personal favorite JTM45 pedal is the Lovepedal JTM, its a single knob that replicates the gain of turning up a NMV jtm45.

Good luck and have fun with your amazing amp!

14. dro

dro Well-Known Member

I haven't, I only tried the V-30 cab at the request of a friend. After 5 minutes I unplugged the cab. It's never gone back and never going back. It's the Greebacks for me. When I find what I like I stick with it. See if you can borrow a 100 watt cab.

steveb63 likes this.
  15. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

How did it sound with the v30’s?

16. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I agree 4x12 with Celestion G12H30s (mine are 69, 72 and 75 quads and the 69s and 72 do it best)

steveb63 and Maggot Brain like this.
  17. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, I also have a G12 20's Greenbacks ( 1967 ) which sound great but but you are limited on hard to push these.

18. ufguy73

ufguy73 Active Member

Honestly, other than using Marshalls there isn’t a whole lot of similarity between hendrix and Page/Blackmore.

for Hendrix overdrive, a vintage style fuzz is going to go along way (for full on raunch, as well as backing off the guitar volume to get clean/edge of breakup).

the problem with Page/Blackmore (and I assume you mean more live tones, as both were known for using non-Marshall amps for recording but aren’t what i think of for those guys’ quintessential tones) - they both were about loud volume through very high headroom marshalls (Page’s were modded for higher headroom and Blackmore used Majors)...so, the problem is drive pedals don’t really emulate high headroom, high volume type dynamics.

i did get killer approximations of those tones through metal-panel type JMPs (or the YJM more recently) - but you dont want full on saturation or drive, you want that sort of spanky, sustain but it actually sounds pretty clean levels of drive for those guys...its not EVH lol

19. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

Just another vote for the Greenbacks, in fact any version of the Greenies.

Unless of course you want to try alnico's? But it will ruin you, those alnicos with the JTM45 are just so damned right.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  20. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member