Marshall JMP 2203 or something similar

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JoseLA, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

I can vouch for the SC20H and matching 2x12 cab. I've had mine for a little over a year and it's amazing! If you don't need 100 Watts it's a good way to go.

As others have mentioned, best to stick with the real deal, get a Marshall. :)

scozz, Unburst, GregM and 1 other person like this.
  2. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

The Marshall JMPs are quite ridiculously bright, even after dailing back the treble & presence (not as much when played through my Greenbacks). You however forget many of us are old farts who's hearing has naturally regressed over the years unbeknownst to us... so of course that comment comes as a shocker :D

I know one thing I'll never again do, is snip the bright cap from a JMP. The side effects are worse than from a vasectomy

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    wakjob and AlvisX like this.
  3. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

It's got nothin to do with a tone control ,or turnin a knob . It's because of the way the amps were engineered....too bright. Ive always assumed that they worked this sh*t out mathematically, what they designated to be "lead" values . But does that mean they actually plugged in ? If they did, what did they plug in , an ES 175 on the neck pickup maybe ? Sounds fine , ship it .......

I had an incident awhile back . I was doing some early morning recording in London. I think my amp choices were an AC15 or a JCM 2203 halfstack. Trying to be "efficient" , and because I live in Marshall Land, I chose the Marshall. I figured there'd be less knob twiddlin'. I plugged in my SG, bridge pickup ....bright AF, unusable .Could not "dial" it out . Had to use the neck pickup. Shoulda used the AC15...because that 2203 was not MY 2203

I wasn't shocked by the "too bright" assessment at all.
    It's not specific to the JMPs, the JCMs have the same sh*t. While the bright cap value is a little over the top IMO ,it's only part of the issue . The real culprits are the two peak caps over the 470k resistors,one on the pot and one on the board. Everyone overlooks them and they just go to ,"Snip the bright cap" for the remedy ....but that aint it ,that's a bad fix

4. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I don't think its coincidence that the G12-65 came of age and went through so many re-voicing during that era.

wakjob likes this.
  5. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I’ve got a jcm 800 2204. 84’ vertical input. With the right pedals they’re awesome with the low and high inputs. I get what you mean about bright. Idk if bright would be my issue with it but without pedals my ears beg for some warmth after a short time. Can be harsh and ear fatiguing .

wakjob likes this.
  6. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

My '86 2204 was quite "bright" also, but at a later date I picked up a late 60's 4x12 with nearly clapped out greenbacks in it that had some rolled off high end that would've suited that amp perfectly...wish I kept both to try together.