Marshall JMD:1 fans ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Johnversloe, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Johnversloe

Johnversloe New Member

4B50BBD7-413B-4574-834A-2311FF5EAF38.jpeg hey , just bought a JMD:1 , 50watt. Absolutely awesome!!

Played several Marshall’s in my life and this is easily the best one. Yes, I know it’s a bold statement. I currently own a JCM800 , jcm900 and have owned ( much regrettably) a code 100h , an origin and an mg100.

Is the JMD a precursor to the JVM ?

2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Good tones in the JMD. Great amp. Decent effects. Switchable user Programability. Tube poweramp section, with a digital modeling preamp. Very different than the JVM. Not a precurser.

3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

JMD user here.

Build your own presets. Forget about what exact amp it is modeling and just go by how it sounds. I built some presets by A/B-ing side by side my JTM45 and my 87 Jubilee. So it will do what ever you want it too from vintage to modern. I completely forget that it is a modeling amp. It is that good.

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yep, easily the best "gigging" Marshall I own, and more versatile than a JVM.

5. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Well-Known Member

I despise any amp with built in effects....except for the Roland JC120

6. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

These are kinda like running pre-amp like the Rocktron prophesy or Kemper/Fractal into the return of a tube amp. These are slightly more limited than that but they sound pretty good. I didnt test the effects when i tried one but I have heard the reverb was passable at least.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Gunner64

It takes some time to dial in specific presets. It has a bit of a learning curve. I need more time with mine for sure, as it isn't a "tried it for 10 minutes" kinda amp. Tones and programmabiliy are seemingly almost endless.

I got my JMD-1 50W for $400 with the footswitch...which I feel was a bargain. I Changed the black power switch to a traditonal Marshall lighted rocker, and the black piping to white.

The next thing I'd like to do is put it in a better headbox. The factory headbox is some kind of pressed cardboard kind of crap, with very thin tolex...don't stack another head on it or it will leave impressions in the tolex of the JMD. So far the enclosure is the only bad thing I have found with it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  8. marshallmellowed

While it's not as advanced as those units (IMO), for gigging, no one listening is going to be complaining. Is it the best, FX-wise, no, but you could easily play a gig with no outboard pedals.

9. Gunner64

And it isn't $2500

10. marshallmellowed

One other thing, since the preamp is solid state, you can use the amp in standby, direct to a mixer, with no cab. I actually tried this, as I wanted to use the JMD as a backup for my Axe Fx. Granted, I had to do some funky EQ'ing to get the direct signal to sound the way I wanted, it was definitely "decent" and usable for a gig.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I like the JMD I had more than the the DSL 100h I traded to "Ghostrider" sorry Ghost but you might agree if you are still here ?
    I have not had every great Marshall like so many , I often wonder if the JCM 800 2204 or some version of plexi would end my pursuit but by seeing the number of amps here and the ones I have had in the past I doubt it.
    Back to the point , playing with a drummer the JCM 900 was my fav followed by the JMD. The JMD is way more versatile but for me the 900 DR just has a punch that only the previous mentioned amps can beat.

12. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I have one. Gigged it many times. It’s a great amp. I never use effects so I dont know if they’re considered good or not. I use the gate. The gate is good.

13. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Great amps. Totally underrated. They were a one-off......should have been a precurser for the CODE, but they got that one wrong.
    Code modelling in front of the JMD poweramp would have been a winner.

14. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

JMD has JVM pre-sets.

The JVM was 1st, as they modeled the JVM to make the presets...

15. JacksonCharvelAddict

I judge based on amp sounds and the JMD-1 nailed that as far as I could tell. Great amp for sure.

16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on a great amp, as long as you get the tones your after out of it ! That’s all that matters.
    Cheers

17. BGLeduc

BGLeduc New Member

18. JacksonCharvelAddict

I had high hopes for the CODE based on my limited experience with the JMD. I don't know how they messed that up so badly. I still think they went too cheap with the speaker. I am assuming the modeling is good but they cheaped out elsewhere.

Georgiatec likes this.
  19. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

There is one of these for sale at the moment for $800 Aud (about $600us).

sort of curious about it, it is missing the foot-switch though. Are these hard to come by?

20. marshallmellowed

They can be difficult to find used, or a bit pricey new. With no footswitch, I wouldn't pay more then $400us, and that's in very nice condition. If a guy were to find one dirt cheap, no footswitch, you can use any MIDI foot controller to change presets.