Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 EXTENSION SPEAKER

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Kazik Walusiak, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Kazik Walusiak

Kazik Walusiak New Member

Hi I am looking for a decent extension speaker, but don't know what to go for and welcome advice. I also understand that to match with my amp it needs to be 8 ohms. would this be correct? Thanks K

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Hi Kazik
    The stock speaker in the amp is 16ohms and if you want to run it with the new cab, you should get a 16Ohm cab. Then set the amp to 8 when using both.

Lots of options for speaker drivers these days. I used a V30 both in my 401 and in my cab. But now there is a lot more choice.

You might like a closed-back cab, but it's hard to find one the same width as the amp, and a narrower cab underneath looks bad (nothing technically wrong tbough) so maybe go for a bit wider.

Or build one, which I did. Can talk more about that if wanted.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Dogs of Doom likes this.
  3. Kazik Walusiak

Thanks John that was a big help.
    I'm probably going to go for either the Marshall MX112 or the Blackstar HTV112 both of which have had good revues.
    Cheers,
    K

4. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I used to run my old DSL401 with a Marshall 1912 cab.
    I had to change out the 8 Ohm G12B-150 to match the 16 Ohm G12T-100, so I just got another one (not much imagination there).
    It still sounded much better though, and I have run all my 112 combos with an extension cab since.
    The only problem was that I had to make a mating board to locate the DSL onto the 1912 and make it stable.
    The 1912 is somewhat narrower than the DSL401.
    The 401 feet centers are 7" (front to back) and 16" (side to side) apart, so a cab with dimensions to accommodate this would be advisable.
    I have forgotten the exact DSL401 base dimensions, but they would be a good guide for cab size.
    Try to match the width, and get a deeper cab for stability.

5. Kazik Walusiak

Thanks for the reply. I have decided to get the Marshall MX112. It is slightly narrower than my DSL401, by about 1/2 inch each side, but I'm ok with that. I get it this weekend and am looking forward to trying it out at band practice.

JohnH likes this.