Marshall JCM 800 With 5 Different 12AX7 Valves In V1

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
All sounded good .
The night train batch sounded really good to my deaf ears.
Rock on

mark123

Reaction score
I’m going to say that I liked the Westinghouse the best.

The JJ ECC83 is not a great tube but their ECC803 is kinda awesome.

d3vCr0w

Reaction score
Yes, somebody else told me that the Westinghouse sounded better, in fact I took that one out from a Marshall Valvestate 8080 combo, not sure if that came originally with the amp, probable the previous owner put it in. As a matter of fact that Valvestate 8080 sounds amazing too.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I’m going to say that I liked the Westinghouse the best.

The JJ ECC83 is not a great tube but their ECC803 is kinda awesome.
I will also vouch that Westinghouse 12AX7s have been the richest and best sounding preamp tubes I have experienced.

Yes, somebody else told me that the Westinghouse sounded better, in fact I took that one out from a Marshall Valvestate 8080 combo, not sure if that came originally with the amp, probable the previous owner put it in. As a matter of fact that Valvestate 8080 sounds amazing too.
A 2204 I once owned had stop producing sound and I had no clue about amps back then. I took it to a tech and he replaced the valves, it worked but it lost it's mojo 100%. The tech replaced all the preamp tubes and kept the old ones, someone informed me to go and retrieve my old tubes. This forum is where I learned about tube rolling and I decided to roll the remaining functional tubes .... Soon as I put that Westinghouse house in V1 the amp was back to that incredible, amazing, rich, harmonic goodness Marshall glory.

I swapped in Westinghouse tubes into my V1s for some years... I need to get me some again!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I've found that I consistently like GE 12AX7As in V1. They may not have super gain but they have a round full sound to them that is always right. And then I've found Amperex tubes to sound too hi-fi and sterile. Chinese 12AX7s tend to have a lot of gain but sound boring.

I have a couple old Mullards but they've got a lot of hours on them. They're good sounding but I'm sure they've lost a lot of their original gain.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I will also vouch that Westinghouse 12AX7s have been the richest and best sounding preamp tubes I have experienced.

A 2204 I once owned had stop producing sound and I had no clue about amps back then. I took it to a tech and he replaced the valves, it worked but it lost it's mojo 100%. The tech replaced all the preamp tubes and kept the old ones, someone informed me to go and retrieve my old tubes. This forum is where I learned about tube rolling and I decided to roll the remaining functional tubes .... Soon as I put that Westinghouse house in V1 the amp was back to that incredible, amazing, rich, harmonic goodness Marshall glory.

I swapped in Westinghouse tubes into my V1s for some years... I need to get me some again!
Which tube are we talking about, specifically, any photos?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that doesn’t like the sound of this 800? Sounds flat and lifeless to me, maybe it’s my old damaged ears though! Lol.

Rudy v

Reaction score
Have you try a7025 in v start with 7025 wa with a triple mica construction to exclud microphonics issues even when used in the most sensitive preamps.

d3vCr0w

Reaction score
Am I the only one here that doesn’t like the sound of this 800? Sounds flat and lifeless to me, maybe it’s my old damaged ears though! Lol.
I tried to make the video as simple as possible, since there are many possible combinations, so I kept all the EQ flat, but that's not the best sound this amp can give, definitely presence needs to be boosted a bit, I personally like the mids pretty much all the way up, it's a matter of dialing the amp.

The idea was to show if there was any noticeable difference by swapping V1 with different tubes, with the amp's EQ at noon.