Marshall JCM 800 2210-1986

jcm_rock

Reaction score
Hi guys, can someone please give me an advice about this legendary guitar amp.
I have a Marshall JCM 800 2210 from 1986. I played on it for years, it worked perfectly. But due to personal reasons I didn't played on that amp for about 5 years, and now I have the opportunity to use the amp again. I must say that I don't know anything about electronics and I hope so someone could help me. So my question is: Since the amp wasn't powered on for that long time of period, should I have some precautions about firing it up? I am afraid that maybe it could blow up since I didn't played on it for a long time.
Cheers

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you soon going to get a answer from members on the forum that know more then me

Just like to say :welcome: to the forum

ampeq

Reaction score
I have a Marshall JCM 800 2210 from 1986. I played on it for years, it worked perfectly. But due to personal reasons I didn't played on that amp for about 5 years, and now I have the opportunity to use the amp again. I must say that I don't know anything about electronics and I hope so someone could help me. So my question is: Since the amp wasn't powered on for that long time of period, should I have some precautions about firing it up? I am afraid that maybe it could blow up since I didn't played on it for a long time.
Cheers
As long as it didn't get wet or has a mouse nest hanging out of it, let her rip! I would just make sure your plugged into the right speaker cab, volumes at 0 tones at 5 and std. by on. Turn it on, wait 3-4 min., take it off std. by and slowly raise the volume. If all is good, tie a necktie around your head like a bandana, lock the doors so the cops can't get in, dime everything and blast the hell out of it! Welcome to the forum!

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Cheers

Should be fine.
Plug it in, turn it up really loud and show the neighbors some love.

Gutch220

Reaction score
my vote goes to cleaning it first (sockets, pots, switches) assuming it has been kept "dry and rodent-free". you could also check to see if any of the caps have burst (bursted?). If you had a variac, you could slowly turn up the voltage. Some people do this with really old amps. i think you'll be fine though.

jcm_rock

Reaction score
Thanks
As long as it didn't get wet or has a mouse nest hanging out of it, let her rip! I would just make sure your plugged into the right speaker cab, volumes at 0 tones at 5 and std. by on. Turn it on, wait 3-4 min., take it off std. by and slowly raise the volume. If all is good, tie a necktie around your head like a bandana, lock the doors so the cops can't get in, dime everything and blast the hell out of it! Welcome to the forum!

hahaha excellent, will do

jcm_rock

Reaction score
my vote goes to cleaning it first (sockets, pots, switches) assuming it has been kept "dry and rodent-free". you could also check to see if any of the caps have burst (bursted?). If you had a variac, you could slowly turn up the voltage. Some people do this with really old amps. i think you'll be fine though.

good idea, thanks.

Latest posts