Marshall Jcm 2000 Vs Mini Jubilee

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by davidlo))), Dec 25, 2017.

1. davidlo)))

davidlo))) New Member

Hi folks, its time for me to buy a new amp, since i am quite bored with my Laney GH 50 (jcm800-ish circuit). I have the oportunity to buy myself a used 1998 JCM2000 DSL 100 or a b-stock Mini Jubilee 2525H head. I play mosty hard rock, ska-punk rock and a little bit of stoner rock. I can not decide witch head should i take so i am asking you guys for advices. I heard that the older DSL-s are not very reliable, they have some sort of problem with the grid resistors or the rectifier, clear me on this.
    Pros and cons of the both amps for me:
    DSL: +real dual channel, nice cleans, plexi like tones on CH A
    - 100 watts is too much, poorish quality

Jooby: + 20/5w, beefy JCM800 tones, small head
    - grainy diode clipping, limited clean channel

I am playing through a 1970 Laney Supergroup 4x12 with 2x V30 and 2x 1970s' G12H-30w.
    Thanx for any advices.

2. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

If you don't need to do a lot of channel switching, and you don't need tons of volume, then maybe the mini Jubilee.

If the mini Jubilee is a b-stock, will the store give you a return/exchange policy? If so, then that gives you some protection. Also, ask the store why it's designated as b-stock (situations vary).

Is the JCM2K DSL100 being sold by a store or a private seller?

Whether you get the mini Jubilee or the JCM2K DSL100, ask details such as:
    *how many hours for all tubes
    *what brand and what tube types are currently installed
    *any modifications
    *do they come with foot switch
    *are all components original

Some of these questions sound obvious but the point is that you want to know exactly what you're getting besides the brand and model.

Are you in a band? If so, how many members and what instruments? The cabinets/speakers is impressive and will help a lot in many ways. Good luck with your decision.

3. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

DSL....(actually JVM)

I have the 2555x.
    Bought it on the hype...loved it for a couple weeks...and now it just sits there.
    The Jube isn't for me.

4. davidlo)))

davidlo))) New Member

Yes the Jubilee has a full warranty. The 2000 is sold by a private seller. I'm in a band with 5 members, i am the rhytm/partly solo guitarist. The other guitarist has a Dual Recto with 2x12 mesa cab + a maximizer always on, i hate his tone...:D

5. headcrash

headcrash Well-Known Member

Try not to be biased by some folks saying or rather stating the Jubes might be harsh or grainy because of its diode clipping stage. To my ears it is not at all. In fact I consider it to be rather smooth.
    The Jube is kind of a one trick pony: you have a hugely versatile EQ section to find your sound. But once you find it you may find you won't like other settings
    Also the DSL will have more gain on tap, whereas the distortion on the Jubes tends to get boomy and muddy with humbuckers past the 7 or 8 mark, depending on your pickups.
    The Jube does have an idealized 80s hardrock tone which I like and I would always prefer it over the DSL.
    The DSL seems more versatile because of its seperate gain controls for each channel, but I always found the clean channel too bassy and the Gain channel too thin, which couldn't be dialed out with the single EQ section.

Try to compare both amps to one another and let your ears decide.

Also the Jube can be dialed in pretty bassy which may come in handy when playing on small cabinets or when it comes to competing with the Recto...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    WellBurnTheSky and Jethro Rocker like this.
  6. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Personally I'm not a fan of the jube. I really wanted one because I like the tone I've heard from them but, every time I plug into one it sounds so fizzy and scratchy. I tried and tried and I couldn't seem to dial it out. The DSL is a good amp in my opinion, the only issue there is the shared EQ, if you dial in the clean the distorted channel won't sound right and vice/versa. The DSL is awesome if it's used as a single channel amp, dial it in and go, it's awesome.

Given the price range of the new jube mini I would buy a used JVM, that would cover anything and everything you need.

7. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Active Member

This...it's what I do...freaking awesome amp for my purposes.

8. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

The Mini Jub has plenty of gain and never go past 5 on the Input gain. I usually keep it at 3. There is no muddiness to keeping the input gain low. It has the JCM 800 classic roar which the DSL just doesn't have even on the Crunch Channel That being said put a clean boot in the loop on the Red 1 channel and it's not thin at all. That's the key part & it's all Tube. Hard decision though.

9. Milleniumking

Milleniumking New Member

I actually picked up a mini jube today. I had the 2555x and I loved it but had to sell due to finances a while back. I think you should go with the mini jube because its resale value is still quite high compared to the jcm2000. If you dont dig it Im sure you can fetch a good price on the used market for it or do a trade for the 2000 at some point. Also the nice thing about the mini is you can really crank it up in 1w mode and really push the power section. With a 100watter you better have friendly neighbors. :) Mind you though, 1w mode is still quite loud. Good luck with your choice, either is a good one but +1 for the Jube from me.

10. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Also remember the thread is over 3 years old. Likely OP has made their decision.

WellBurnTheSky and Milleniumking like this.
  11. Milleniumking

Milleniumking New Member

didnt notice that... Hopefully the OP made a decision by now! LOL

12. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Albok lead us into the ditch on a 3.5 year old question.

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

With those choices personally I suggest just keeping the Laney, retube it, get different speakers...