Marshall is up to something!

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
I kind of have a problem with a company saying they've been making LOUD since '62 marketing it as an anniversary and selling that false idea when they didn't make an amplifier until '63. Its just not genuine or honest.

Was the retail music shop called Marshall? I think some people have the guitar center image with guitars hanging twenty feet in the air etc. It was more likely the place you bought your flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, recorder, violin, maybe an upright piano or two, sheet music, perhaps one very good gibson or rickenbacker and a single 5 piece drum set. I may well be wrong but most music stores were like that around me in the '70s.

Not even the idea to make a loud amp until '63 and only when there was demand for it did it become Marshall.

The shop was very small, mainly selling guitars and drums with a drum school upstairs, and it was not until and once us three guys started to produce the known today as the JTM45 that Jim could see potential that he wanted to put money in, then amps started to be made at the rear of the shop, all the other details are on www.dudleycraven.com

Goodguy

Reaction score
Marshall does not seem to be run well. No product strategy that makes sense. No innovation. Will Marshall become a goofy licensing scheme for all sorts of generic junk (i.e. Bluetooth Speakers) -or- will they reclaim their legacy?
The Astoria fell flat (but a great amplifier). DSL seems to be their bread & butter but has been around for a while. Origin seems yet another half hearted attempt.
Perhaps they need a huge image makeover back to their legacy (i.e iconic marketing,,, high end ... low production volume plexi (etc) repro for people to drool over with incredible yet simple marketing pics people can drool over... but never afford just to get people obsessed with Marshall again ... PCB 6 channel amps with 100 dials don't get my juices flowing). Perhaps take Gibsons Murphy labs idea and apply to amps - high end objects of obsession).

Last edited:

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
Their SV20 & SC20 amps give me hope that they see what we want and are trying to get the authentic tones in a smaller lower wattage package. Although they are out of my price range sadly. I'd be more inclined to purchase if they were point to point wired at the same price point they are at now.

I prefer point to point for future maintenance. It's a lot harder to troubleshoot a circuit board. If I get one I'll be keeping it for the long haul.

StingRay85

Reaction score
Marshall is simply a brand name right now. The company is not what it was 59 years ago. Music is also not the same anymore. It's just a marketing trick to sell amps at premium price. Maybe that why the already want to start in '22, they want to sell their merchandise

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
I want the pedal to check it out and to have , heck it might be fun . Will it be different from a Tube Screamer or a BOSS SD-1 ?
Tubescreamers and SD-1's are cool and all, basically the same circuit. The Bluesbreaker, Guv'nor, an the others are an original curcuit by Marshall. Its been copied alot, to say the least. Xotic BB preamp, MI Audio Crunchbox, JHS Morning glory and lots of others, are all bluesbreaker circuit based.

WoundUp

Reaction score
It is indeed odd! When going to the Marshall website, to look up warranty info, I see that the website has had a more consumer product oriented update. It also lists some conglomerate administering their warranties called: "Zound Industries USA Inc., or its successor in title, (“Zound Industries”)" that I've not heard of before in relation to Marshall! Is it possible that they have been sold off, or become victims of some sort of leveraged buyout by some corporate raiders? Remember, for the first time in the history of humanity, the "BAD GUYS" are finally in charge of everything!
Just Curious?
Gene

Zound Industries has been licensed to produce and has been producing Marshall products since 2011.

V-man

Reaction score
All I know is I have an authentic 20th 2204 full stack I purchased new in '83, I can't say I bought it in '82 because the date codes are clearly '83, on everything. Iron Speakers, chassis, ST1 board. Someday maybe it will become sought after.
My 2550 was made in ‘89 and in black tolex. Marshall is keen on marketing its anniversary, but has long been questionable about protecting the value of the brand. That’s why I dumped my 1Ws after they released the 3rd JTM-1 and decided to make the DSL-1 a standard production amp.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
"a matter of viewpoint" fact more like, i was there and tell it first hand.

Getting personal, well just telling it how it is, thats me, if you don't like it then fine.

Ken, nobody is disputing the account of 1963 being the starting year for the amp side of the business ... but yes, it's a matter of viewpoint on whether "Marshall history" should begin with the year he opened the shop (1962) versus the year they began to manufacture amplifiers (1963). As is typically done in business, Jim Marshall opted to recognize the date that he opened the shop.

Frank Araneo

Reaction score
Ken, nobody is disputing the account of 1963 being the starting year for the amp side of the business ... but yes, it's a matter of viewpoint on whether "Marshall history" should begin with the year he opened the shop (1962) versus the year they began to manufacture amplifiers (1963). As is typically done in business, Jim Marshall opted to recognize the date that he opened the shop.
Well, it seems Marshall is disputing it. From the History section of their website:

"The first amplifier now known as ‘Number One’ attracted 23 orders on its first day in store in September 1962 and would become the first of many JTM45 amps. Aptly named, it stands for Jim & Terry Marshall. The '45' stands for the RMS (root mean square) value, which differed from the other manufacturers who rated their amps at peak power."

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems Marshall is disputing it. From the History section of their website:

"The first amplifier now known as ‘Number One’ attracted 23 orders on its first day in store in September 1962 and would become the first of many JTM45 amps. Aptly named, it stands for Jim & Terry Marshall. The '45' stands for the RMS (root mean square) value, which differed from the other manufacturers who rated their amps at peak power."

Sorry, to be specific, I was referring to discussions that have taken place here on the forum for many years, as Ken has been taken at his word, and it's widely accepted here that the true date for the amp manufacturing side of the business started in 1963. I don't see any reason for him to lie about it. Of course, that could be wrong as well 🤷‍♂️

Reaction score
Hell-o! New guy here. Looking forward to gettting to know you.

I think theres something up with Marshall.
They leaked the teaser for the reissue of the Bluesbreaker. And then Thomann.de had listings for the Shredmaster, Drivemaster and Guv'nor reissues.
Now Thomann have nothing Marshall left except some b-stock items and speaker cabs.
Same thing with Andertons. They have no JVMs, no MGs and 2 DSL100CR and one DSL20CR, but nothing else.
I speculate they might have sold off their stock, so that they can stock whatever new stuff is coming for the 60th anniversary. I bet we're going to see new stuff from them - soon. It's been 16 years since they released the JVM as their flagship amp, which makes it their longest running amp - should i get one now?

Here in Canada, many amps, cabs etc. from Marshall have not been available for months. According to the largest chain of music stores, Long & McQuade, it's due to the supply chain. And the prices for these items have gone through the roof since September. For instance, my Marshall Ori20C which was $549C now sells for $849C. That's quite an increase over less than a year.

BigFeet25

Reaction score
Hell-o! New guy here. Looking forward to gettting to know you.

I think theres something up with Marshall.
They leaked the teaser for the reissue of the Bluesbreaker. And then Thomann.de had listings for the Shredmaster, Drivemaster and Guv'nor reissues.
Now Thomann have nothing Marshall left except some b-stock items and speaker cabs.
Same thing with Andertons. They have no JVMs, no MGs and 2 DSL100CR and one DSL20CR, but nothing else.
I speculate they might have sold off their stock, so that they can stock whatever new stuff is coming for the 60th anniversary. I bet we're going to see new stuff from them - soon. It's been 16 years since they released the JVM as their flagship amp, which makes it their longest running amp - should i get one now?
Hi and welcome. I reckon component issues may be at the root of the lack of product from Marshall and others. Take a look inside a Marshall from the UK or elsewhere and many far-Eastern components will be spotted. I heard BMW ceased production at the Oxford MINI plan today through the same issue so imagine how much further back in the queue companies like Marshall are for "components". General consumer product companies suck up a huge volume of components too - funnily enough valves aren't so popular outside our guitar world so we should be OK for them!

daftman

Reaction score
Shuguang Tube factory in China has been out of production for quite some time due to a supposed fire and relocation. This has placed enormous pressure on Reflector and JJ to fill the void according to them and many google sourced articles. There is a tube shortage now and many companies cant ship products because of it. Marshall and many other manufacturers buy lots of thousands of tubes at a time and the Chinese ones were cheap and plentiful but have pretty much dried up. Im sure other electronic components are hard to find also as there is a worldwide crisis even car makers are affected.

Latest posts