>

Marshall Haze 15 - Everything you wanted to know...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Oct 28, 2014.

1. eastover53

eastover53 New Member

I added a master volume to mine and it does everything that I want now! Gets that clean gain cooking without blowing your ears off!!

2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

still looking at demos on youtube of this amp.
    why the hell nobody talks about these here :shrug:

fitz288 likes this.
  3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

anybody like the haze 40?

4. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

User error I believe. Don't crank the gain on the red channel, clean boost it like a proper Marshall, give it some volume and the little bastard roars in the 800 range...not spot on but pretty damn good..and it has decent effects.

Not only that but the full stack has a cool retro look. What's not to like?

That and I think the 15 gets a bad rap because Iirc the 40 had some issues. Different amps that share the same series designation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  5. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Just checking in, I have two haze full stacks and although not my favorites, they definately have their own thing going on. 2nd straight cab took me about 2 years to find. Picked them up for about $400 each, full stack.

6. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

The overdrive channel is very dependent on the speakers you use.
    The caps you changed do a lot, C58 is part of the gain circuitry that feeds V1B, and C59 is a big part of the tone stack.

Not many people are comfortable opening up this amp. I know in mine I have a couple slight changes, I cannot recall if they are all listed here in this thread. Kudos to you for taking a good amp and creating a great amp.

Evgen and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Evgen

Evgen New Member

I made a short demo of how the overdrive channel sounds after the mod (changing the values of capacitors C58, C59).
    In my opinion, it sounds between SL 1959 and JCM 800.
    On the first video I recorded Haze 15, and on the second (this video is not mine) SL 1959, JCM 800, JCM 900.
    Watch these videos and compare the sound of all amplifiers. I don't think you will feel much of a difference between the sound of the Haze 15 and the SL 1959 / JCM 800.
    This proves once again that Haze 15 is a great amplifier that can sound like a beast!

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:cheers:
    :welcome:
    To the forum
    Your clip catches the correct feel and tone for the Scorpions song you used in your demo, they are all great Marshall tones, that I would feel proud to play with. Cheers Mitch

Dogs of Doom and Evgen like this.
  9. Evgen

Evgen New Member

Thanks! With the help of this forum, I got exactly the sound I wanted to hear from the Haze 15 amplifier.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

That’s great bro, I have gotten the same, with the amps that I play through.
    Cheers

11. Evgen

Evgen New Member

Good day to all! I made some additional changes to the Haze 15 circuitry to make it sound even closer to the JCM 800:
    1) C12 with a nominal value of 22 microfarads changed to 1 microfarad (a person who is a master in this matter recommended 0.68 microfarads, but I did not find such a capacitor and selected the closest one).
    2) R15 with a nominal 820 Ohm is replaced by 2.7 kOhm
    3) In the empty space C37 put a capacitor with a nominal value of 0.47 microfarads.

Points 1 and 2 are intended to make the sound more readable and clear, with a crisp sound on each string, but have the side effect of reducing gain headroom.
    Item 3 is made just to increase the gain reserve after items 1 and 2 are completed.

As a result, after the changes made, I got a sound even closer to the JCM 800.

12. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

I just added a Bad Cat Unleash V2 and a MXR 10 band EQ to mine.
    Got an EQ in the loop, a master volume, and 100w to torture the speakers, my cats, and the neighborhood.
    I've always liked the way the Haze15 sounds, and never wanted it to sound like a different amp.
    I have different amps for that...

13. L2A3

L2A3 New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm a big fan of these amps! When they came out I thought they looked and sounded great so I got one and liked it so much I grabbed another as a spare. Years later and with a room full of amps to chose from I still play them pretty much daily and often in stereo thru a Bigshot ABY - which sounds twice as nice!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    fitz288 and Dogs of Doom like this.