Marshall half cab, possible to use as bass cab?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Jamie H, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Jamie H

Jamie H New Member

This used to be a JCM 900 4 X 12. It got cut in half. I was thinking of using it as a bass cab for recording. i was going to block on hole and use it as a 1 X 10. Or maybe 1 X12? Is this crazy? Should I look at porting?

Attached Files:

2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

No rules for what you are doing. You could port the cab if you were pushing some air, but say thinking of using a Bass cab for recording.. I think you will know if porting is need when it starts to fart and rattle. Definitely need and should use a good adhesive. :yesway:

3. Jamie H

Jamie H New Member

I was mostly concerned with this being a guitar cab, the dimensions being effective for bass. I have been using regular Marshall celestions (G12-75) until now. I figure a proper bass speaker might help.

4. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I see. I thought JBL at first, but perhaps a 10" Electro-Voice would be a good candidate. Voiced for Bass frequencies, but can sub for a guitar. Probably would be a good idea with a higher watt speaker for Bass anyway. That would get you at least close to a proper Bass speaker for your project.
    (and probably no port for the criteria)

5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

except, the cab is designed for guitar frequencies, or not designed at all.

Bass cab's are more complex in designing...

I see all the time on the bass forums, people asking can I swap out my 15" speaker for another? It ends up being a long thread, w/ people saying how the cab is designed for a certain frequency & volume, & how getting a mismatched speaker will be less than desireable.

I see bass cab's all the time on the used ad's going dirt cheep. It's probably cheaper to buy a bass cab, & get a good result, rather than frankenstein a cab into a sub par speaker.

6. Joe Levens

Joe Levens New Member

I don't have much experience with recording, and I am not a bass player, but if you are looking for a full, bassy sound, to me, a 4x12 will typically sound a lot better than a 2x12, regardless of the type of speakers you use.

7. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Do you already have the speakers or do you have to buy them? If not you'd be better off looking for a used bass cab with speakers ready to go rather than guess work with your cab and trying to figure out what speakers will work with it best. If you already have the speakers just pop them in and dont worry about it and just use it, its for recording any way you have post mixing to make anything sound the way you want. :yesway:

9. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

You can get a 1x15 bass cab or bass combo (still a cab, too) used for $150 or less if you're in North America

Look for brands with solid quality but crap resale value like Carvin and Peavey

Also, if you're not running stadium volumes and you got excess cab wattage to spare (no greenbacks!), you can record a normal guitar 4x12 with bass just fine. G12-65's, V30s, T75s, Classic Leads / MC90s, K85/K100 etc should all be a-ok, just turn the volume down a bit

10. Jamie H

Jamie H New Member

Thanks for the help everyone! I will probably just get a bass cab...