Marshall Forum Stuff Box™ (an assortment one-off's you don't wanna start a whole thread for)

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh - and I can't find my post or which thread it's in, but here's an example of why spell checker sucks:

Why is correct word, "monster", not in the suggestion list? This happens like, ALL the time. :mad:

1659605012479.png

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Anything, as long as it's a one-off thing you want to post that you wouldn't start a whole thread for.

Ok, so I'll begin with this:

I'm a professional 'Gadgeteer' as you know, right? And I was just over at Amazon a few websites down from here during a late-night stroll, looking up radios in general, (currently studying for the HAM radio Technician's license, BTW), and I accidentally clicked on a small pocket radio on purpose, just to have a look.

Do any of you see the blatant copyright infringement on my personal trademark, in the picture below on how to operate this radio, which that I was having a look at?

View attachment 112144
:mad:

If you think I made it up, here's the AMZ link: it's the 4th pic down on the left of the ad.
Whatever happened to CB radio, 10-4 good buddy there's a smokey on your tail, breaker 1-9! Will you discuss ham recipes over the air?

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to CB radio, 10-4 good buddy there's a smokey on your tail, breaker 1-9! Will you discuss ham recipes over the air?
"CB" stands for "Children's Band". Same as FRS (Family Radio Service) - the kiddies get on there and make noise and scream all day. Haven't had a CB radio since 1989, and the one I bought went right back to... say it with me now... RADIO SHACK.

Last edited:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
currently studying for the HAM radio Technician's license, BTW

Awesome, Vin. Same here. I already passed the test, I just need to do the paperwork (who the hell wants to do that, right?)
I usually listen to a repeater that's a few kilometers away. Its always a bunch of old dudes talking about gear. It sort of reminds of some place...

PelliX

Reaction score
Awesome, Vin. Same here. I already passed the test, I just need to do the paperwork (who the hell wants to do that, right?)
I usually listen to a repeater that's a few kilometers away. Its always a bunch of old dudes talking about gear. It sort of reminds of some place...

Lol, still have the CB ready. Not much of anything going on here, though.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
"CB" stands for "Children's Band". Same as FRS (Family Radio Service). The kiddies get on there and make noise all day. Haven't had a CB radio since 1989, and the one I bought went right back to... say it with me now... RADIO SHACK.
I miss Radio Shack. Not the phone store that it became, but the knobs and wires and switches store that it was.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
Wife just picked a tomato out of our garden. It should be perfect for BLTs Wednesday. Can't wait!
It was good!

Two years ago we had a couple of tomato plants that were producing a lot of fruit. We never got to enjoy a single tomato because the squirrels stole every one just before they were ripe.

Last year we had a two-part strategy.
1. Plant 5 tomato plants to increase the number of tomatoes, in the hopes that the squirrels would not wipe us out entirely.
2. Shoot as many squirrels as possible.

Part 2 of the strategy was extremely successful. We keep a finch feeder on a hook from the ceiling of our covered deck. The finches are messy eaters and seeds fall to the ground directly below the feeder. The squirrels would gather under the feeder and eat the fallen seeds. The seed area is exactly 15 feet from the kitchen window. At that range I was able to pick off approximately 25 squirrels throughout the spring and summer, shooting from the kitchen window. Eventually, there were no squirrels in our yard. I always wondered how many squirrels there were in the yard. I guess it was about 25.

We had so many tomatoes last year that we were almost (almost) tired of eating them by the end of summer.

This year we have two tomato plants. There are many squirrels in the yard, but surprisingly, none of them have any interest in the tomatoes. We have not lost any tomatoes to squirrels as far as I can tell, and already have more tomatoes than we need.

Who could have predicted that a new generation of squirrels would have such different behavior to the previous generation?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
It was good!

Two years ago we had a couple of tomato plants that were producing a lot of fruit. We never got to enjoy a single tomato because the squirrels stole every one just before they were ripe.

Last year we had a two-part strategy.
1. Plant 5 tomato plants to increase the number of tomatoes, in the hopes that the squirrels would not wipe us out entirely.
2. Shoot as many squirrels as possible.

Part 2 of the strategy was extremely successful. We keep a finch feeder on a hook from the ceiling of our covered deck. The finches are messy eaters and seeds fall to the ground directly below the feeder. The squirrels would gather under the feeder and eat the fallen seeds. The seed area is exactly 15 feet from the kitchen window. At that range I was able to pick off approximately 25 squirrels throughout the spring and summer, shooting from the kitchen window. Eventually, there were no squirrels in our yard. I always wondered how many squirrels there were in the yard. I guess it was about 25.

We had so many tomatoes last year that we were almost (almost) tired of eating them by the end of summer.

This year we have two tomato plants. There are many squirrels in the yard, but surprisingly, none of them have any interest in the tomatoes. We have not lost any tomatoes to squirrels as far as I can tell, and already have more tomatoes than we need.

Who could have predicted that a new generation of squirrels would have such different behavior to the previous generation?

You could also work WITH nature rather than against it.

Plant a few of whatever plants the varmints eat around the perimeter of your yard for them. They'd rather eat the stuff from the decoy plants than venture across the lawn to harvest shit from your garden.

We had animals annihilating our strawberries a bunch of years ago. I just planted a perimeter around our yard where it meets the woods and have had hardly any of our share eaten since.

I learned that from growing dope. Plant some shitty decoys that are easy access for the thieves and they won't venture any further to find the good shit. :D lol, fu¢kin lazy bastards.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
You could also work WITH nature rather than against it.

Plant a few of whatever plants the varmints eat around the perimeter of your yard for them. They'd rather eat the stuff from the decoy plants than venture across the lawn to harvest shit from your garden.

We had animals annihilating our strawberries a bunch of years ago. I just planted a perimeter around our yard where it meets the woods and have had hardly any of our share eaten since.

I learned that from growing dope. Plant some shitty decoys that are easy access for the thieves and they won't venture any further to find the good shit. :D lol, fu¢kin lazy bastards.
The squirrels I shot were extremely aggressive. They did not fear crossing my lawn to the garden, and would not have been tricked by decoy plants, whatever they might have been. The seeds on the ground might have been decoy enough, but they were not. They wanted all of the seeds and all of the tomatoes. These squirrels often knocked the bird feeder to the ground, and that was not an easy feat. It took repeated attempts to jump from the deck to the feeder and they were determined and aggressive enough to keep at it until success. They were not afraid of us, and would eat tomatoes on the deck while we were visible to them from the sliding glass window. They would even stand their ground when we chased them off the deck, waiting until we were very close before running. They knew that they were faster than we were. They were smart and knew what they wanted and how to get it.

I've had plenty of people offer "great" ideas of how to protect the tomatoes without killing the squirrels. Put up a fake owl or fake snake. Bells, wind chimes, electronic noise repellents. We tried all of those things and none of that could deter them.
I am still somewhat amazed at how different the current generation inhabiting my yard is. They are content to eat nuts or whatever they find, they don't attack the finch feeder, they are uninterested in the tomatoes. Squirrels are smart and operate on intelligence as well as instinct. The current generation have not learned that gardens are for the taking. The previous generation had learned that lesson and could not be dissuaded.

I worked with nature, as the dominant species. I never had to dispose of the dead ones because they disappeared from the yard by the next day. Hawks, owls and other scavengers took care of it. There is no shortage of squirrels--they reproduce rapidly as do all rodents, and as long as they leave my garden alone they are welcome to hang around.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's another blatant rip-off I can't figure how escaped from a lawsuit. You only need to hear the first 15 secs of each song:

Badfinger (original):

Joe Jackson rip-off (although the songs is still a great song otherwise):

Latest posts