Marshall DSL40CR

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Elliot Twist, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Elliot Twist

Elliot Twist Active Member

I'm satisfied with my Marshall DSL40CR loaded with the stock Celestion V-Type speaker.
    I'm starting this thread to post your amp settings for "what made it work" with the stock Celestion V-Type speaker.
    It might help confusion and reduce inconsistent results if you also mention what guitar and pickups your using.
    This all sounds like fun to me.
    I hope I'm not "breaking all the rules".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    jchrisf and SkyMonkey like this.
  2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Sorry, that rules me out(ish).

I love the V-Type, but I don't run mine in the DSL40CR anymore.
    I took the chance to try a G12 Century Vintage (Neo) in the combo to mix it up a little and shave some weight.
    I find the G12CV not dissimilar to the V-Type though. I think they are both voiced as 'tamed' V30s.
    My V-Type is in an open back 112 cab under the DSL.

All my tubes are still stock though.

But if it helps, most of my guitars are high (X2N) to medium-high (Tone Zone) powered humbucker HH or HSS style.
    I run the DSL in 4CM to a Boss GT-100, so have some EQ running in the loop.
    Both the DSL reverbs are off in favour of the GT-100 reverbs.
    My DSL is MIDI switched, and I have made user patches dedicated to each of the DSL 'voices' that include a switchable ODs out front.
    High gain is my thing and to get the best out of the OD2 channel I keep the gain at around 6.
    Any higher and the signal starts to mush up. The OD2 circuitry seems not to be able to cope with the highest gain settings alone.
    Someone did explain that the circuit amplifies too much low frequency signal and that causes the mush.
    So running an OD out front to tip the amp into high gain territory works better for me.
    I do find that the OD1 and OD2 don't have enough gain separation for my liking, too similar, so the OD out front helps that too.

I find that at the low volumes I play at (i.e. 20W low vol.) the Clean can be run at full gain and still be clean enough for me.
    This way I can get the Crunch to crunch.

I generally keep the EQ flat-ish with a bit of extra treble and presence at noon, no resonance.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  3. Elliot Twist

I mostly run my Marshall DSL40CR atop a Marshall 1966A 2X12 cab all 3 speakers are the stock speakers.
    When I do run the DSL40CR with only the stock speaker I don't run it on the floor, I put it on top of a cab that's not plugged in or an amp stand.
    I have the 6 button foot switch from my DSL100HR that I can use if I want, but I only use the "Crunch" and "OD1" channels.
    I run a Line 6 POD HD500 for only the proper types of FX that belong on the loop of the DSL40CR, and if I use reverb I use the reverb in the Line 6.
    There's not much wrong with the DSL40CR reverb, but when you've got a better option that's what ya do.
    I run my DSL40CR pretty loud. Volume knobs are all at least @ noon or more. Tone Shift disengaged.
    I only use one Master Volume on the DSL40CR (#2).
    If I used all 4 channels I'd use both Master Volumes to fix any mismatch between "Clean" and Crunch".
    I mostly use Ibanez JEM guitars with Evolution pickups, and sometime Ibanez JEM guitars with Dark Matter or Gravity Storm pickups.
    I don't run anything in front of any of my Marshall DSL amps, except maybe a TC Electronic Spark Booster in front of the Marshall DSL20CR.
    FYI : Most any decent guitar and pickups sounds great to me on a Marshall tube amp.
    Here's a pic of the amp settings on my Marshall DSL40CR and stock Celestion V-Type speaker.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  4. Elliot Twist

That's half the weight of the V-Type. Good find. Something to consider.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  5. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I estimate it drops the DSL40CR weight to just under 47 lbs.
    Not a huge difference, but it is noticeable when you are trying to manhandle it up a ladder into the loft/mancave!

The G12CV is now discontinued but the Creamback Neo is only 0.2 lbs heavier.