Marshall DSL40C clean channel boosted or crunch channel

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Listogast, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Listogast

Listogast Active Member

So I've been playing with my DSL40C and messing around with both the clean and crunch channels. I read from the user manual that they say the clean mode is supposed to be voiced similar to a plexi super lead, while the crunch mode is supposed to be more like a JCM800.

My question is one voiced better than the other? In terms of less compression, more clarity, that type of stuff. Like would it be a better idea to use the clean channel with a boost pedal for some dirt?

2. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Well-Known Member

For just straight boosting I like the crunch channel better. The clean is pretty clean, so a boost may just increase volume. For actual distortion/overdrive pedals I prefer the clean channel at 3 o'clock, just starting to break up. Makes the pedal distortion sound more natural.

3. Listogast

Listogast Active Member

Usually I have mine on the crunch channel with the gain just over 10 o'clock, and then my overdrive pedal to add some extra dirt on top.

tce63 likes this.
  4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Try it. I found I liked the green clean boosted but I put the amp gain all the way up or near all the way up. Also volume needs to be high enough for the power section to open up that channels voicing.

Cranking the amps gain and then boosting it gave me great vintage variations to use and cleaned up easily by rolling back guitar volume. Highly recommend.

5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Really depends on the musical style you want to be playing.
    Personally I use nothing but Green & Clean. Use the volume at higher numbers and dial in the Gain to where I like it. From that point onward it's my board pedals that dial in what I want in terms of guitars being used and songs being played. The Crunch and Ultra Gain channels do not get used.
    BP

Guitar Rod and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. Listogast

Listogast Active Member

The other day I tried setting the gain really low and the volume higher. I think it sounded more punchy or something. I also tried cranking the clean gain, and then increasing the volume on my overdrive pedal to sort of boost the amp into some crunch. Sounded nice as well.

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Whatever sounds best to you. Gotta try it. Personally, the crunch channel boosted but I prefer higher gain.

8. SteelLucky

SteelLucky Active Member Silver Supporting Member

For a DSL40C: Put a JJ E823CC in v1.
    https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/vacuum-tube-ecc823-jj-electronics-dual-triode

What I found once I did that was that the gain channels get a little bit more tame and you can use more of the gain knob. I normally would set the crunch channel good and crunchy then boost it when needed. (JCM800 is my favorite amp). The E823CC made the lead channels way more usable for me. I lot of guys talk about clipping the C19 cap out but I found that Clean and Lead 1 match up pretty well and Crunch and Lead 2 match up better EQ voice wise for me and then I would actually channel switch the amp too.

Guitar Rod and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Most of my playing is on the green clean channel, with the Vox Tone Lab, but if I am going to play at gig volume I use red 2, with the MXR10 band eq in front of the amps with the gain at 3-5
    On the green clean channel gain is normally set at 2-3 volume to taste.
    Cheers

Jethro Rocker and Guitar Rod like this.
  10. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Did the ECC823 make any difference in the gain levels between Classic Clean and Classic Crunch, i.e. less gain on Crunch too?

11. SteelLucky

SteelLucky Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Yes IIRC. But not enough to make Crunch a clean channel. I did sell the amp so I do not have it to test for you. But the DSL40C had a ton of gain on tap and still did after the tube swap. I just felt it sounded better to me and gave me a more usable gain knob. I used Crunch and ran that about 7 or 8. Lead 2 gain set to 3 to 4. Stock speaker. T3, M7, B5, P3, R5 were my EQ starting points. My guitars have EMG’s or hot passive pickups.

SkyMonkey likes this.