Marshall DSL20HR and 1936V cabinet - modern metal sound?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I went ahead and also purchased the DSL1HR (received it today) and with the same cabinet and power outlet it doesnt have the hiss. It gets to the same level hiss wise only if everything is on max.
So... :scratch:
Did you order both amps previously, or did the DSL1HR ship in 1 day?
What's the plan with the 20 & scratched up 1936V?
Are you just running the 1w through 1 speaker on the 2x12?
I've had both amps and sold the 1w after I got the 20.
Just curious. :shrug:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
My second post already in this forum :) So, I finally managed to get back into guitar playing after 20 years (first I was 16) and I managed to order MG50GFX combo which is indeed some pretty bad sounding combo - I mainly play the clean channel, also added a Polara reverb pedal for some fun. The crunch channel on that amp is awful. Im planning to at least change the speaker on that - v30 maybe. Im using my crap 20 year old guitar - Ibanes GRX70

Anyway, I also just ordered DSL20HR and a 1936V for a more serious playing. My main goal is to get a nice metal sound out of that. Did I do good? :) Im hesitant since I think I bought the wrong stuff - there is no option to try gear out where I live, I dont know many people in bands anymore either. I relied on YouTube in making my decision - Ola Englund for example.

Basically Im looking for the early Metallica sound and the more later modern metal sound - Animals As Leaders, John Petrucci solo albums. I also ordered some pedals - both Revv G3 and Revv G4, also Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 and also a Abasi Pathos distortion pedal. I think I went a little overboard :)
You should be able to get metal tones , specifically I don’t know if you will be spot on but .

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amp and cabinet finally arrived yay. You guys are right - getting the right tone takes a while :) I have a small problem though - is this amp supposed to produce a small hiss at all times? I even have the hiss when nothing is not plugged in and when Im at full or half power. Noisegate doesnt help either because the hiss is at all times. I have never had an actual tube amp before. Is this normal?

The other small problem is that Thomann didnt double box the 1936V cabinet and all the front corner protections of the cabinet are scratched to hell because the box was literally scratched to pieces and the cabinet corners were poking out during transit. For some odd reason the Marshall plastic flaps (spelling?) on top of the cabinet also have some bad marks on them. I know that the corners are replacable but what about those plastic things on the top?

Thank you again for all the replies - I try to response all to you as time passes :)
I thought they fixed this! This is an old problem going back to the first year the R line was released in 2018.

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/yet-another-dsl20cr-hiss-thread.113625/

markok1847

Reaction score
So... :scratch:
Did you order both amps previously, or did the DSL1HR ship in 1 day?
What's the plan with the 20 & scratched up 1936V?
Are you just running the 1w through 1 speaker on the 2x12?
I've had both amps and sold the 1w after I got the 20.
Just curious. :shrug:
Yes, I ordered the DSL1 couple of days later than the DSL20, both arrived within a week or so (mostly sat in the German airport somewhere). Its crazy that DSL1 costs the same as one boutique pedal. I started the replacement process for the 1936V cabinet and the DSL20. Im also thinking about upgrading to the Silver Jubilee 2525 if the DSL20 is indeed that noisy when everything is at 0.

Yes, Im running the DSL1 into one speakers only in the 1936V cabinet. Sounds great I think , I havent had the time to try it with pedals yet (SD-1), I think it probably sounds close to DSL20 if run with pedal. Im actually totally ok with the volume that DSL1 produces.