Marshall DSL 5 dsl5 need advice on getting my sound

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jeff kris, Dec 2, 2020.

1. jeff kris

jeff kris New Member

I posted a few months back, I went ahead and purchased this amp. Now I thought, all marshall where made in England, thats another topic, I m not really that happy with this amp. Dont get me wrong for a tube amp its there. But We all want the marshall sound. it just doesnt give me that crunch and when I want that heavy lead screaming sound. It doesnt even get there. Im looking for that sound I got from my jcm2000 dsl 50 wt. I purchased that new in 2008 or so, it was the last one in stock at a mom and pop music store, the guy gave it to me for a nothing. I love the sound, I was living in the rural area so along as my family was out I could turn it up to get that sound. I was hoping I could still get that sound with this 5 watt. If I got to use pedals to get that sound , why bother paying marshall prices ? Plus, im a natural tube sounding kind of guy . I was wondering if some of those hand-wire 20 wt heads are any good, they are pricey too, I just dont want to lay out $1200 bucks and be in the same boat.

Perhaps, i need to keep working on this amp, I only have it turned up the 1 wt mode. AT 5 watts its lound. I remember with my jcm2000, it seamed like for the first month or so the sound was boxy and not that smooth marshall hum that we all come to love. No matter how good you are, when your playing through that jcm2000 turned up, you sound like rock star. Even all those sloppy mis-placed notes sound right on. Some one told me try to run it through a bigger cabinet. I have the combo . I might try that. thanks to all for reading this and appreciate all the the advice.

fitz288 likes this.
  2. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I was told to swap out the v1 tube, it's still in the post, a hybrid tube that leaves the clean channel alone and dims the higher gain channel to somewhat usable tones, an 823 I believe??
    I am actually starting to like the tone more but using alooot more palm muting than what I'm used to, I've also seen someone say crank the bass up on the 20cr, yet to try that yet as too busy, but it's on the list

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    fitz288 likes this.
  3. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yeah a mini combo isnt exactly gonna give you "that" sound. I owned a couple DSLs and in my opinion the entire DSL line sounds like DSLs no matter which one, your amp would definitely get that sound at higher volume and better off through a cab, but I dont know if you want to invest in a cab for that little amp. You might be better off selling it and getting the DSL40CR. Always buy from a retailer with a liberal return policy like Guitar Center, you'll have 45 days to try it out and send it back if you dont like it. Good luck with your search buddy and welcome to the forum, let us know how you make out. :yesway:

5. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

If you’re talking about the $1200 SV20 and the SC20, they are not hand-wired. Also, don’t expect much in the way of a heavy lead sound from a small combo in 1-watt mode. You are better off getting a larger amp with a master volume and turning it down.

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

One of the keys to achieving good tone with a Dsl, imo is,.....on the Green channel keep the gain high, and the volume to taste. On the Red channel it’s the opposite,... gain low, volume to taste.

Many here have gone as far as raising the volume all the way up on the Red channel and starting the gain on 0 and slowly turn up.

I would start by trying these two simple things, and other Dsl5 owners here will chime in soon with some advice.

Also, I don’t know how much you’ve been playing the amp, but an amplifier speaker needs time to break-in before it starts to sound it’s best.

Another thing, lower budget amps do not have the best quality speakers, so that's something to think about too.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    GregM likes this.