Marshall Dsl 40cr Emulated Our Sound Samples

eschatts

Reaction score
does anyone have any emulated sound samples? We have a jam next Saturday and I am going to run emulated out into recorder. I have not had time to test yet (and probably won’t have time). So just wondering if there are any sound samples. Also any opinions are cool as well. Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I cannot help you, I don’t have your amp, someone else will come along and chime in with some results, or advice :shrug: Cheers Mitch

JohnH

Reaction score
I used to use the emulated out as a PA feed from my dsl401, which is 3 generations earlier than yours. I found it to sound quite good, but best to trim high treble a bit more. Also, on that amp, it was a very hot signal and needed care with levels to avoid distortion into the mixer.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The E/out on my DSL40CR is terrible. I would also be interested to hear opinions or recordings from other 40CR owners.

I have tried the emulated out with headphones (BeyerDynamic 80 Ohm DT-250's) on the DSL40CR in comparison to the DSL with headphone out on the BOSS GT-10, in 4CM, and the difference is night and day. The emulated out sounds like a wet blanket put over the speaker and the whole lot dumped down a well. The GT-10 H/out is clear as a bell.
Same when the E/out is plugged direct into my Focusrite Saffire 24, through Guitar Rig 5, with a blank setup patch (no effects, amp, OD, or EQ). Woolly as feck.
Others are reporting good things from their DSLs. Should I be worried. I don't want to send this one back, only to receive a replacement with other new and exiting defects.

matttornado

Reaction score
I ran the emulated out from my DSL 40 CR into our PA and it was awful. Sounded like all of the mids and highs were gone along with a blanket over the speakers. I was very disappointed.

WTF Marshall! :mad:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Haven't tried it but the demos I've heard have been crap. Which is why I haven't tried it.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Not tried the FX send as an out. It is tied up with my GT-10 using the 4 cable method. May give it a go this weekend, but it sort of defeats the point of the emulated out. One of the main reasons I traded up from the DSL401 was to be able to use a series effects loop. Having the GT-10 H/out is fine for me now.

JohnH

Reaction score
Geez! Seems like they over-adjusted the tone since the dsl401, which was definately not wet-blanketted on its DI.

I assume we don't have schematics for the dsl40cr, but how about the previous Dsl40C? How is that for DI tone and do we have a diagram? Thinking a bit of circuit analysis may allow a fix to be developed.

tidbit

Reaction score
I don't have any samples but I did do a test recording when I first bought the amp. It was usable for sure but micing the speaker sounded infinitely better. If you had to do silent recording, it will work. If you don't, I wouldn't.

eschatts

Reaction score
Don’t know if you guys are interested in our crappy playing but here is one of our recordings. I am more panned left and I play the solo. There is another guy that is using a dsl as well. And one more guy using Hughes and Kentner grandmiester. We all went direct into my zoom r24. Bass was direct and drums were also direct. Vocals piped in from the pa we were using. I mixed everything in reaper. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YHGSdaV9gayxZWzBKN8Ic7oiWXFvC80y/view?usp=drivesdk

eschatts

Reaction score
I like the dsl range. I don’t know if those new studio amps are worth that much more. And you can’t even get them in anything bigger than 20 watts.

Coachz

Reaction score
I ran the emulated out from my dsl40c are into my d a w and it is completely unusable. Sounds like total shit. Does anybody test anything anymore?

Coachz

Reaction score
Not tried the FX send as an out. It is tied up with my GT-10 using the 4 cable method. May give it a go this weekend, but it sort of defeats the point of the emulated out. One of the main reasons I traded up from the DSL401 was to be able to use a series effects loop. Having the GT-10 H/out is fine for me now.

using the effects output will suck because that's before the power tubes and that's where all the magic happens

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Hi Coachz. That part of the thread was concerned with using the emulated out with headphones or into a PC DAC, and trying the FX out as an un-emulated alternative. Both those outputs are before the power amp. If they were after the power amp I doubt there would be much left of my headphones or ears!
If you tried to plug the DSL speaker output directly into your DAW (i.e. the only output after the power tubes) you may blow both the amp (the DSL power amp is unloaded if you unplug the speaker, even in silent mode), and your DAC (way too powerful signal).
A DAC should see a line level signal only, hence the speaker emulation (which sucks) on the emulated out.
Please do not try it.

I still haven't tried the FX out into my DAW yet. Anyone else?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if you guys are interested in our crappy playing but here is one of our recordings. I am more panned left and I play the solo. There is another guy that is using a dsl as well. And one more guy using Hughes and Kentner grandmiester. We all went direct into my zoom r24. Bass was direct and drums were also direct. Vocals piped in from the pa we were using. I mixed everything in reaper. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YHGSdaV9gayxZWzBKN8Ic7oiWXFvC80y/view?usp=drivesdk
I could not get your clip to play :shrug:

Latest posts