>

Marshall DSL 20HR Troubleshooting...one channel working (classic gain), ultra gain - death quiet

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by CroTone, Feb 20, 2021.

1. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

Hi guys!

Have a problem with my brand new DSL 20HR that I took out of the box today.

Hooked it up to a cabinet earlier today and just gave it a test ride.

Everything was fine and both channels (classic gain and ultra gain) were working.

Managed to get some really decent tones out of it!

Now, a couple of hours later I turn it on again and this time only the classic gain channel is working (normal response to volume and gain) while when I switch to the red channel (ultra gain) with the gain set at noon no sound is coming out of it unless I crank the volume over the noon where I can hear some sound but it is barely there and sounds weak.

What do you guys think could be the problem with this?

I am now utterly disappointed because I was really looking forward to this amp and was excited about it. Now it just seems I got the faulty one! :-(

tce63 likes this.
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Well, Known Member Silver Supporting Member

If it's just out of the box new, take the back panel off and make sure all the preamp tubes are seated in their sockets.
    Pull them out and re-set them to make sure they didn't wiggle loose in shipping.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    tce63 likes this.
  3. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

So... a few minutes ago I unscrewed the back panel back to see if some tubes moved or something and turned the amp again.

I started from a green channel that was working, switched manually to the red channel and then it gave sound again (normal I would say), I switched back to green and back to red and the red channel was dead again (no sound). It makes some weird click noise once I manually click the channel switch button. What the hell?

Tubes seem to glow normally in the back, one EL34 seems to have some less brightness than the other, but other than that it seems everything is visually fine.

fitz288 and tce63 like this.
  4. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

Thanks man, will do! I will get them all out and reposition again and will let you know the results!

fitz288 and tce63 like this.
  5. Max Gahne

Max Gahne Active Member

On the one hand it's cool you got a DSL20HR today, I've had one on order for awhile that's supposed to ship 3/2. Everybody seems to have them on backorder. On the other hand it does sound like your's is going back. If it doesn't start channel switching reliably you're probably going to have to send it back. It sounds like you're describing a problem with the relays that select the channel and the volume control. This shouldn't make any difference but have you tried using the footswitch? Again it shouldn't make a difference but wierder things have happened.

fitz288 likes this.
  6. fitz288

The channel switching "pop" sound is a known issue with the DSL.
    My little DSL1HR does it, but it doesn't bother me.
    My DSL20HR switches channels completely quietly.
    If your volume problem and channel pop doesn't go away, you may have a unit that should be returned.

7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Return it in exchange for a new one.

Gunner64 likes this.
  8. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I would just return/exchange it right away. Don't even try to diagnose or fix anything yourself.

If it were an older unit, then yeah. But it's brand new. Just exchange it, don't even mess around.

Gunner64 likes this.
  9. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

Ok, so I went with the first advice...got all the tubes out, shuffled them, and returned them back very firmly to their posts.

It seems Marshall-branded JJ's are in there.

Now the thing works!!! :band:

It switches channels normally, there is a "pop" that is obviously inherent to the DSL but no noises and normal response to volume/gain on both channels!

Thanks guys for saving the day! (i was pissed and sad)

SkyMonkey and fitz288 like this.
  10. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

Hopefully you wont have any problems from now on.

fitz288 likes this.
  11. fitz288

Glad the tube check worked for your volume problem on the red channel.
    Keep an ear on that channel pop, and keep an eye on your return window.
    It may be an indication of something wrong like @Max Gahne has suggested.
    I bought my DSL1H "as is" so there was no returning it.
    I just keep it on green and hit the front end with the Tube Pilot when I want some dirt.

12. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

UPDATE!!!

Sir, you made a very cautious statement...but in the end the right one.
    Played it today again, after approximately 45 minutes amp just shut down with respect to sound...it became quiet all of the sudden and there was no sound coming from either channel after I switched them over.
    I was optimistic that the problem was solved but in the end I guess I will be parting my ways with DSL 20. As someone above rightly wrote, this thing is out of the box brand new and if something is wrong then something is wrong.
    I decided that I will be parting my ways with the DSL, will ask for a full refund, and will put some more money on the table to get Silver Jubilee 20-watter.

fitz288 likes this.
  13. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

As I wrote above, it went dead again today (on both channels, in the middle of playing) and I just noticed that amp acts erratically.
    I have Origin 50, also made in Asia, but no problems with that one whatsoever and I have it for almost a year and a half now.
    I made a decision to get Silver Jubilee 20 watts.

Thanks for all your help man!

fitz288 likes this.