Marshall Code " Patch " Sharing ( Longhand For Now )

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by mazzefr, Jun 16, 2016.

1. borefiller

borefiller New Member

I was thinking today. would it be possible to programme the amp to "recognise" a piece of music ( like shazam or sound hound) then the amp sets itself to the best match on what its "hearing". cab, head, fx. etc. could be awesome if its possible. Just play a song via playback and Amp sets its own settings to what it is hearing.

2. andy k

andy k Member

who knows whats possible?,
    i think were going beyond what marshall expected right now, great work guys,
    cheers
    andy k

3. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Very exciting news, and fun. But don't go out of your way. It's easy to get sidetracked and the preset editing Utility easily has the most widespread use in the CODE community :)

4. slugzz-sop

slugzz-sop Well-Known Member

Holy cow you guys are digging deep. AWESOME!

5. James Clent

James Clent Active Member

OK can receive & send sysex now, but without knowing what to send it is not helping.
    I wrote requests to Softube (wrote the emulation algorythms), gateway and marshall.
    Hopefully one of them answers.

I can see that the gateway app has the midi requests for patches, etc. But cannot see what they are :(

My midi utility can write all parameters to the CODE, but you would still have to save it somewhere.
    Plus, if you downloaded patches from a friends CODE on your phone and put them into the CODE that way,
    my utility would never know without the sysex patch dump.

Having said all that, let's cross bridges when we get there.
    Ciao
    James

6. James Clent

Isn't that what the Kemper does in a sense?

7. borefiller

borefiller New Member

Don't know anything about a Kemper ! be good if the Code's could do it.

8. AJU

AJU Active Member

Sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs, I'm just trying to understand all this new stuff but I found this site.

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/sysex_procedure.html

It details a number of methods and tools to use for a few synths. It seems to suggest that sending a sysex to the relevant synths might erase complete ram/s - hopefully this doesn't mean that the code will be rendered useless when trying to recover with factory setting - probably not.

I notice that you used midi-ox, this link

http://support.tc-helicon.com/entri...ware-for-MIDI-dumps-back-ups-software-updates

suggests its simple - it never is normally, can you send a sysex and at worst trash the amp setting (hopefully factory brings it back) or nothing happens.

I'm a bit confused over what we can actually do so far. If you can get the sysex patch dump are you able to see sets of parameters or just gobble de gook. I'm sure this is what you are doing but have you tried to change one parameter and see what changes in the map and work from there, winmerge is the best tool for comparisons - I think. I realise it may still be an uphill struggle. Reverse engineering at the byte/word level really is a long winded way but sometimes the only way but always filled with mistaken assumptions and lucky guesses.

Again sorry if I am just muddying the waters or worse. Marshall may not respond depending on their plans going forward - softtube agreements may not allow them anyway. Assuming they had not even considered this stuff they may still take some time as what seems like simple fixes don't garner their interest as far as I can tell as they are just getting into this website/twitterface rapid response stuff.

PS. If you find the parameter/byte/word that is changing have you tried to change it and resend it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  9. AJU

AJU Active Member

Proofing andyk's patch list has slowed a bit as am away clearing my mother in laws house and its a little difficult to find any spare time. I have got as far as patch #24 and no further changes so that is good.

I'll pick it back up in a few days hopefully.

10. James Clent

AJU,
    Yes I can send data to the code and change parameters.
    So, I can see what is being changed (if you change a setting on the amp by turning a knob, or even when changing it with Gateway), and change the parameters myself. (Out of my program)

I cannot save a patch, or trash the amp... (yet).
    James

11. James Clent

Reply from Marshall on my request for help:
    >Hello,
    >A bunch of us on the forum are looking to build a librarian for the CODE amplifier.
    >We know about Gateway, but gateway doesn't allow for external saving of patches, nor can I export/import patches from others. And if my phone breaks I have no more access to those patches.
    >
    >Using MIDI-OX I have been able to determine what the Patch SYSEX looks like and what the values mean, however at this time I'm not able to send a patch systex to the Code amplifier.
    >
    >It would be great if you could help me by providing me the SYSEX implementation of the CODE so we can build a true librarian and exchange program so more users get the benefit of awesome Code patches.
    >
    >Your help is much appreciated.
    >James Clent

Hello James,

Thank you for your email,

Our tech team is actually working on doing this right now and it should be available as early as next week.

Kind regards,
    --
    Marshall Support

12. AJU

AJU Active Member

Ah I get it now you can change the amp on a specific patch but when you change another patch the previous one is lost. Thanks for that clarification. So we are looking for the actual command that will activate the save function. probably a 2 stage at that as well.

Keeping it simple, as I'm definitely that, if you send a change to the amp does it show up on the amp and actually change the amp - albeit until you change the patch. If that passes does the amp lose the previous change if you change another patch entirely.

BTW I'm Alan I just use AJU, my initials.

13. AJU

AJU Active Member

Lets hope they mean it more than the other community messages they have promised things

Was it private message or is it on the community.

14. James Clent

Private message.

Alan, Nothing is lost until you save it.
    So if I send updates, the sound changes. But then if you change presets on the amp, one down and one up (so back to where you were) the original preset is still there.
    If my program would do it, I would never lose a patch.
    I'm making an internal database with 1000's of patches, and you can assign 100 of them to presets, but nothing gets lost unless you tell it to delete one.
    James

15. AJU

AJU Active Member

Thats interesting, on the Gateway I use the fact that if I make a change by mistake I unload(exit) Gateway without saving to get the same effect. In fact I use that to reset some changes that go wrong as my fingers are a bit big and I struggle a bit with the rotators and the manual input does not always trigger on my android. I guess that means there are two stores the active and the read one. Thats a good approach I guess.

Just did a few checks around web and found this, i'm sure you know it but might throw some light on marshall stuff perhaps

http://jmp-editor.mattzick.com/

the last 3 paragraphs look interesting. It looks like a marshall patch editor of some sort but not really sure its for marshall amps.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  16. James Clent

Yes, that is an editor for the JMP-1. My lead guitarist bought one in the 90's and dumped it after 2 months. Couldn't get a good tone out of there.
    But, no it doesn't have the data elements I'm looking for. Thanks for looking though.

The PM was a reply to the other guy who asked on the answer from Marshall if that was public or private message. :)
    James

17. James Clent

All,
    Unless someone can think of a good reason for me to continue, I'm going to stop development, since Marshall has said they will come with a solution.
    Here is where I was :)
    upload_2016-8-22_16-51-21.png

I'm sure there will be options to do stuff still, but I want to see what they come with first. And maybe I misunderstood and they are working on the Sysex mapping only :)
    Ciao,
    James

18. NERDARES

NERDARES New Member

Hey guys. I just bought this amp yesterday and I was trying out the metal tones with an esp ltd les paul with EMG pickups and it sounded amazing! However I brought it home and I tried it out with my Esp Ltd KH - 602 and it sounded terrible! I've also tried using my Esp Ltd KH - 602 with my boss me80 on a clean channel on my fender mustang v1 and I don't know but the gain sounded really terrible. After realizing how the amp sounds with the other guitars in guitar center (I actually have tried multiple and it sounded good), I realized it was probably my guitar. I have messed around with my guitar quite often since I had the string gauge changed to 11's. However one time I had to restring and the string action suddenly got too low on the treble strings so I messed around with that. I also messed around with the pickup height and I guess that's whats causing my awful sound. Additionally, I tried the high gain channels on other amps as well and they don't sound that good with my guitar.

So, bottom question: Is it just a bad idea that I got this amp for metal? Or do I just need to fix my guitar? I mean I like Marshall, I like it's capabilites and I especially liked this sound that someone got : .

19. AJU

AJU Active Member

I like your new gold, and the fx look interesting. Having seen the effort so far i'm not convinced they will deliver but i'm happy to be proven wrong. ;-) I like the background looks very familiar.

20. James Clent

Thanks Alan.