Marshall Code " Patch " Sharing ( Longhand For Now )

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by mazzefr, Jun 16, 2016.

1. johnac968

johnac968 New Member

• Attention metal heads check this one out...And the louder the better it sounds...JCM800 PreFX:Distortion-Dist/GUV/Drive:4.3 Tone:4.6 Level:7.1 Amp:OD American Gate:4.0 Mod:N/A Del:N/A Rev:Spring Decay:2.0 Pre:3.3 Tone:3.5 Level:3.3 Power:American ClassAB Pres:7.0 Res:5.8 Cab:1960HW Gain:8.0 Bass:6.5 Mid:4.0 Treble:5.3 Vol:5.8 Like I said this one sounds good cranked on mine You guys let me Know what You think of it...Enjoy!!:shred:

TheEMan likes this.
  2. AJU

AJU Active Member

Damn you beat me to it I did the same and am just running through the values and checking they are factory ;-) well done. My next move was to also do the other settings that we have on here so props to you on that one too.

This site is cooking at the moment, marshall better watch out - is there anyone who knows how to better the gateway app so we can add a backup option not sure marshall are anywhere near that one yet.

johnac968 likes this.
  3. James Clent

James Clent Active Member

Thanks AJU,
    I appreciate it.

So here is another one:
    - After asking Marshall 5 times what the MIDI chart is they never even bothered to provide me with an acknowledgement, let alone an answer.

Well, I installed MIDI-OX and reverse engineered it. Attached is the MIDI-implementation chart for the CODE 25.
    And since Gateway just uses bluetooth as the transportation medium for the MIDI, it will most likely work on all CODE amps.

I will be working on a simple (Windows only) editor for patches, but with a load / import & save / export function, so we can really share patches.
    Rather than having to type in all these values.

Of course, any and all help is appreciated :)
    James

Attached Files:

fordpop, Antmax, andy k and 4 others like this.
  4. johnac968

johnac968 New Member

Great work AndyK I printed this out and it's helped me to put mine in the order I want them and get rid of a lot of the useless factory settings.I use it everyday.Thanks for the work You did on this it's really handy!!

andy k and AJU like this.
  5. AJU

AJU Active Member

I second that for Andy, I know how to play guitar - been playing it on and off for 50 odd years but only ever had access to a very basic tube amp and a wahwah in the early seventies til it blew up and I moved on in life family kids etc. Now I'm well and truly in the prime - retired in fact - I have more time more acoustics and bought an electric and a simple amp (nux - not that bad chinese SS) and set out on my quest to find an amp to give me what I wanted - code was eventually it but by god all the additional stuff to learn is certainly a baptism of fire so Andy's list has been another element in the learning curve - you never stop anyway and its what so exiting about being your own person these days. The list has made sense of a lot of the possibilities of the electric and acoustic guitar now for me and I'm really looking forward to the sounds I can get and how I can actually make this thing do what I want. (all I have to do is get the app to remain stable but thats another story).

I'd also like to say i'm excited as well with what James is trying as well with Midi stuff and a possible backup.

Marshall doesn't really know what they've unleashed here. Happy days - Bring back QMS!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    andy k likes this.
  6. AJU

AJU Active Member

Wow!, I reverse engineered a lot of stuff, unix/windows/cobol and even old fortran, in my days in the IT world before I quit and took the Kings shilling so what you are doing here is really cool - I must get out my midi docs on our pianos and see if I can understand any of that stuff - looks interesting though.

I tried to find out stuff about the gateway app to see if I could save the data but I couldn't seem to separate the data or worse locate it. I think I may need to break out the unix books again for that one (android security and all that). I gave up on that so if you can achieve the back up then it would be brilliant.

I think you are being modest when you say a simple windows editor when past experience tells me notting of this nature is simple so again props mate and I can't wait to see the results.

7. AJU

AJU Active Member

James, it occurred to me there may be some people who don't have Excel or their Excel will not load xlsx files so I created a pdf of your document hope you don't mind - I'm happy if you want to download it and re-install it with your entry - let me know and i'll remove it from my message if that's what you do. I used PDF creator to create it and I have set the viewing options on the pdf to 106% and split pages - as the pages are split I doubled up on the headers so it shows on both pages.

I'm still going though the original and checking it against factory - the following are not factory as my reset amp displays.

Preset 0 chorus speed of 3.5 should be 3.3
    Preset 3 trem skew of o (oh) should be 0 (zero)
    Preset 4 Pedal Distortion Level of 6 should be 5
    Preset 8 Pedal Distortion Level of 7.7 should be 7

I've got as far as 22, its slow going. Most people probably don't care how close it is to factory.

Attached Files:

andy k and James Clent like this.
  8. James Clent

Man spend 3 hours on MIDI research today, but learned a lot.
    Now I have to go and talk to my CODE. (Which will have to wait until I'm home again :-( )

I feel like old times, when I was cracking commodore C= 64 programs... Yes, I'm old .... (LOL)

andy k likes this.
  9. James Clent

AJU, You da MAN (I hope)!!
    I will make the changes to the Spreadsheet as well, and will post in xls format when you are done!

AJU and andy k like this.
  10. AJU

AJU Active Member

Whoa hang a mo, that is old ;-), well not really, never had one of those, apart from cpm and vax at work - c1980 at home I used to play with the old ZX80/81 and Spectrum. I saw one once but it didn't take to me much. Them's the days when pint pots really did have to fit into quart pots, no Giga's and Tera's in sight then.

I know what you mean about talking to the code, I talk to my code but it don't always listen to me and does his own thang sometimes, but I don't despair Dr Marshall and the boys are in town and I expect it to get better soon.

andy k likes this.
  11. AJU

AJU Active Member

Yep I am definitely of the male species although the OH sometimes would beg to differ.

Isn't that what the sign means on the left above my handle!. Well I'm assuming that's what it means, I guess if I create an avatar that would be replaced.

I've done some more checking today but OH has had me on a bit of clean up after relatives descended upon us for a few days this week, I keep sneaking off but she's been round the block a few times!

andy k likes this.
  12. James Clent

I only now see the detail of you avatar. LOL
    Yeah the ZX was more popular in the UK, I never could get used to the little knobbies though. Needed a keyboard.
    Spend a s%$t-load of money on the C= 64, computer, tape, then printer, then floppy drive... that was a revolution.... Floppies!!!

Anyway, the basic libraries are loaded, we have the Marshall Manufacturing ID, tonight we go and look see if my development environment can find the CODE (I think answer will be yes)
    Then if it will respond to an ID Request, expect yes as well.

Then we will ask for a SYSEX dump...... that'll be trickier :)

Also, I will try to see if I can let the lights blink (FX on/off) , expectation = high.
    And some knobs move (they won't move, but the values will change), expectation = high as well.

The hard part is getting the bugger to talk back to me and tell me what each patch looks like.
    O and saving to the little one. I think I'm gonna call him L10D9... Loud 10, Deaf 9....
    I'm rambling.

Antmax, andy k and AJU like this.
  13. AJU

AJU Active Member

Oh I get it 1 step forward 2 steps back - i have the faith ;-) go James

14. andy k

andy k Member

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated,
    and i really appreciate somebody going through it to proof read--I couldnt face it.
    I like the colour coding , and my own pdf has the lines-doesnt print out well though.
    My only comment, its pretty hard to read the values clearly when its fitted on to 2 pages, I prefer my own 4 page version-my tired old eyes can just about make out the little numbers on it.
    If we get all my mistakes in one place , I'll do a final update of my version--just for completion, and I'll make more space on page 4 for the users patches,
    i'm waiting for the next update of software and the pedal before I get too involved in patch editing-I honestly can say that the 2 patches i made keep me happy, I'm amazed how different all my guitars sound through those 2 simple patches alone.
    cheers guys--keep up the good work
    andy k

AJU likes this.
  15. AJU

AJU Active Member

The proofing is slow going and I get your point about the 4 pages over 2, I printed it out to make sure that I had not stuffed it up before posting and compared to yours its definitely more fiddly.

I'm really made up that we have some good collaborations going on here and very excited at what it's throwing up especially James's PC backup if he can get it working will be a real step forward I feel.

If you are in the uk I've heard the PEDL may not be due until Sep or maybe even Oct, bit disappointing I feel but it is what it is.

I agree on the sounds of different guitars. I have two electrics, ones a Fret-King T style (Trev Wilkinson) affair and the other is a 90's jackson very swampy. They are both different beasts and perform different to each other on the same patches as you say.

I have an acoustic as well, a mid 2000 Yamaha CPX-5-YN that sounds amazing when drop D'ing and playing Moby Dick - its also really cool when you patch out everything but a bit of flange. Being an acoustic player I'm more used to wound 3rds in Martin Customs than the 9's on the electrics and it took me a while to get used to jumbo frets as well. I have some wound 3rds for the electrics as I want to try a bit more bite on them but I've been too busy lately to swap them out yet, also not sure on the effect on the neck with the different gauges.

andy k likes this.
  16. mazzefr

mazzefr Well-Known Member

Would you guys be ok with me adding those sheets to post #1 on this thread so they can be easily found?

17. AJU

AJU Active Member

sounds a good move to me if the others agree. will u b linking the original messages to page #1

andy k and mazzefr like this.
  18. mazzefr

mazzefr Well-Known Member

That's an even better idea! As long as you guys are cool with maintaining the sheet from time to time. I've changed some things in the ones I've posted and the Brick one is way off but I haven't been back to it. Anyway, changes will happen and more will get added, at least until we see what Marshall does with the actual sharing platform.

Thanks to all who have been contributing! Keep em coming!

andy k likes this.
  19. James Clent

I'm good with that Andy.

OK guys progress report:
    1. Yes, I can connect to the CODE
    2. Yes, I can make the lights blink and set parameters (every setting on Gateway, or the Front Panel, I can set)
    3. Yes, as suspected from the Gateway documentation, the CODE sends a Patch Sysex after each Patch change.
    I have been able to decode the Patch Data into all the settings for the CODE. (So yes, woohoo I can find what each patch is)
    4. But, it doesn't consistently send the SYSEX. I presume this has to do with MIDI-OX reading it, something might go wrong in the handshake, since CODE is build for Bluetooth
    5. I now need to learn how the CODE Sysex implementation is set-up. (Which is MUCH harder to figure out)

I do not despair (yet), but just a panel on my PC to set parameters on the CODE, as fun as it may be, is not enough of a target for me.
    I'm going to bed, sleep tight.
    See you tomorrow.
    James

Antmax, AJU and andy k like this.
  20. AJU

AJU Active Member

Sounds like excellent progress to me, also sounds like you know what you are doing. I must look up some of this stuff - for interest sake.

nite nite,