>

Marshall Code " Patch " Sharing ( Longhand For Now )

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by mazzefr, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

For grins I replaced the OEM speaker with the 16 ohm speaker from my old (dead) Vypyr (just to see, and it's all I have). The sound cleared up somewhat, especially the notes on the B and E strings above the 12th fret, too which the Code speaker was adding ghost notes.

IDK how good the Vypyr speaker is compared to an Eminence or Celestion, but it is better than the Code OEM one.

I'll keep the Code, but Sweetwater has a DSL100 half-stack for $1300USD. I've never played one and I wonder if the Code truly emulates the DSL100. I prefer using the JCM800 and the Plexi.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. stw500

stw500 Member

@Elliot Twist and
    @Arc Anjil

Thx for sharing your experiences swapping speakers. Now I am eager for swapping, too.

3. Elliot Twist

Elliot Twist Active Member

@Arc Anjil Replacing the OEM speaker has solved everything for me, and IMO the CODE is now going to be just great. FYI: Marshall have configured the CODE to run in 4 Ohms. Since the CODE is solid state 16 Ohms might not be an issue, but "might not" are the key words. Be sure to check the Matt Jackson YouTube video on his speaker switch to a WGS Veteran 30. His other videos are also helpful, as well as videos from "Doodles", and "Jay Ochs". As far as the DSL100H, it's my main live gig rig ! I love that amp, and I have at least 7 amps including an EVH 5150 III 1X12 Combo. The DSL100H is my favorite.
    The DSL100H that's currently for sale is not the one modeled on the CODE. The one modeled is a JCM2000, which is the predecessor to today's DSL100H. I was not fond of the JCM2000. My DSL100H sounds nothing like the CODE models of the DSL.
    @stw500 my expierience isn't much different from what's clearly shown in Matt Jackson's YouTube video #353 on this thread. I was very fortunate to have four of the Jensen JCH 12-70 4 ohm speakers laying around. It's saved me $84 for a 4 Ohm WGS Veteran 30. If you do swap speakers I can guess you'll be OK with it. I can tell you that after the swap to the Jensen JCH 12-70 4 ohm speaker I've have zero issues with bedroom levels. The OEM speaker was unusable at such low levels IMO.
    I hope everyone is checking the site @ https://marshallcode.tools as well as the real Marshall site for the CODE @ https://my.marshall.com There's plenty of presets there that others have provided. The PC Editor @ the tools site is very useful. Google Chrome necessary. I'll be sure to post back when I actually do purchase a WGS Veteran 30. I sure hope it sounds better than the Jensen JCH 12-70, since the Jensen sounds great. Darn :scratch:

Arc Anjil likes this.
  4. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see if the Veteran 30 sounds better than the Jensen. From what I was reading the Jensen was pretty flat where the Veteran has some mid punch.

I may get a replacement speaker next month if nothing more pressing turns up. Question is, which one :)

5. Elliot Twist

I had to invest nothing to try the Jensen JCH 12-70 4 ohm speaker. 4 of them came out of a Behringer 4X12 cab that I subsequently loaded with 2 V30's and 2 G12-K100's for use with a DSL100H head. I also loaded an MX212 with one V30 and one G12-K100. The 2X12 came with (16 Ohm) Seventy/80's. I have those laying around too.
    I'll get the Veteran 30 at the start of next month. There's a YT video whereas someone put in an Emi Manowar.
    Not sure if that one is for me though. I will be ticked if the Jensen ends up sounding better.

6. stw500

stw500 Member

That´s fine but i wonder why. When the stock speaker had 4 ohm and the Jensen too, only the so called sensitivity should make a loudness difference. Unfortunately we don´t have the technical data for both speaker to compare, but shouldn´t be more than 3db difference, so only 1/3 of the loudness feeling. Works the master volume better with the Jensen or what is it?

7. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

Thanks @Elliot Twist . Good info. I hope to fix my Vypyr someday so I will replace the Code speaker permanently ASAP. But like @Antmax said, "which one?" :agreed:
    (I like the Eminence Cannibis Rex)...

@stw500 : I've noticed no sound level difference, and I still prefer the back removed. The sound is slightly warmer than with the OEM. Like I said, I don't think the Vypyr speaker is that much better than the original, just a little.

8. aussiebluesville

aussiebluesville Active Member

Whats everyone's thought on this:
    my gripe is when i put a patch up on site, somebody else edits it produces another patch with same name and then uploads to site
    thats not fair to the original patch creator! i feel i dont want to upload my efforts if others can just change one setting and then upload as their patch! with same name as my original :(

Or is that being picky!!!

9. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Last time i used it i noticed that it's really easy to save a duplicate by mistake. I did it twice but deleted them when i saw it added to the list.

Im not sure anything changed since then. I think i was trying to save a private patch with only the volume tweaked for bedroom playing. In the end i just stored it on my CODE and deleted the dupe.

That was several months ago before they added local saving of individual files. I like the standalone editor best.

10. Elliot Twist

@stw500 I'm not sure why the Jensen sounds great to me. I'm not an engineer and have little knowledge of things to help me answer why. I absolutely despised the sound of the OEM. I was against replacing the speaker on a brand new amp, we shouldn't have to do that. It was the best move I made. In 6 months I'll have my CODE sounding like a total beast. I really like the CODE 50, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it had I left the OEM speaker in it. It was too much Bass for me. As far as "Which one?" everyone wishes they knew without spending too much money on 3 or 4 speakers just to find out. I didn't like the Emi Manowar I hear on YT, but someone does. Like I said "I will be ticked if the Jensen ends up sounding better".
    @aussiebluesville That's not being picky. The Internet is troll heaven and no place for any of us good folks. The "somebody else" that edited your patch and put it up in an attempt to take credit for it will only get credit on the internet. In real life they'll struggle to truly be proud (in more ways than one). In that we find solace.
    @Antmax I find the Stand alone PC Editor very useful in that I can email my patches to a friend. Both Guitarist in our Band "Elliot Twist" bought a CODE 50 just for fun. ...and it has become fun. I'm gonna beat mine up. I wouldn't do that to any amps I paid $1k or more for. I hope it catches on fire, and I hope I'm recording it when it happens.
    ahhh just kidding. When I do get a ton of sweet sounding patches installed you can bet I'll mic it up and torture a P.A. system. I find modeling amps to be time consuming. Everything else I own has a power switch, some knobs, and an input jack. That's why I'm one of those Marshall persons. I plug into it and it's OK. I have an EVH 5150 III 1X12 combo, it sounds cool, but I should trade it for a Golden Retriever. The CODE 50 was like a new litter to me. I'll take one maybe two. It's not weird to love Marshall Amps. Say it over and over again, then relax.

11. AllanAnd

AllanAnd Member

I can't seem to find the old CODE thread, so here goes in this one:

I have decided to get me one of those... I made my mind up and decided on the 25.... Tried one... Sounded horrible (stock patches)... Tried the 50 watt one beside it... Sounded great - but WAY too loud - serious overkill in my house....

Do I really have to get the big one, or can i get the 25 to sound decent in my house as I will only use it as a practice amp? Actually I prefer the look and size of the smaller one - but shiite what a horrible sound!

What to do?

12. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

@AllanAnd The 50 doesn't have to be loud. Unfortunately you can't use the physical knobs to set volumes below 1. You have to use an editor to modulate the two volumes between 0.1 and 1.

It sounds ok quiet but isn't going too have much punch. I havent tried the 25. From what i understand the factory presets on both are the same and geared towards pushing the smaller combo.

13. aussiebluesville

aussiebluesville Active Member

The code 25 is fine for bedroom use as long as you are prepared to tweak the stock patches, you will find some nice tones that can sound quite good, there's some good custom tones in the user presets on the patch site :slash:

14. culpster

culpster New Member

I think that you guys are being too picky. There is no prize for the best tone on the site. I think a lot of people take tones and adjust them to their guitars, don't know how to save them and end up saving your tone as the same name. Think of it more as someone heard something great about your tone and now are using it. I have had several of mine saved again, it still is out there to help people out with constructing their own tones. I would hate to see you not sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. That is what it's all about. I hope I can help someone out, and in turn get some tones that I would not have thought of. Just my opinion.

15. stw500

stw500 Member

Hey guys, didnt come to swap speaker yet, but i put in some insulating wool (thickness from 40 to 80mm) on all of the inner wood plates of the combo. Seems to me like the bass is still heavy, but the booming and vibrating effect is significantly reduced.

16. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I think one of the biggest problems with the stock bass boom is that the mid to high frets on the wound strings especially on E sound quite mushy/blend into each other without much definition.

17. TommySixGun

TommySixGun New Member

I wanted to say what an AMAZING job you guys did on the "evolution" of the standalone PC Editor. It's very professional and works great! When I got my Code 50, the factory presets were a big disappointment. Using the editor really made the product go from one of my worst purchases, to one that I enjoy.

I can't thank you enough.

Also, I replaced the stock speaker in my Code with an 8 ohm, Celestion V30 and I love it. The frequency response is exponentially better.

Thanks again.

Tommy

Antmax likes this.
  18. David Elliott

David Elliott Member

Did it really make that much difference???? It sure is a big chunk of change to throw at this amp. I heard some of the WGS speaker swap vids and wasn't overly impressed, but youtube vids never do anything justice.

Solid State likes this.
  19. TommySixGun

TommySixGun New Member

I had a V30 laying around, so it didn't really cost me anything. The stock speaker had a boomy bottom end, but it sounded like I was playing a guitar with three strings on it (exaggerating a bit). The V30 made a huge difference.

Tommy

stw500 likes this.
  20. stw500

stw500 Member

I don't see any reason to move to Facebook when we have a Marshall forum we can share anything. It would be a better choice to bring a moderator to open a separate code subforum here.