>

Marshall Code " Patch " Sharing ( Longhand For Now )

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by mazzefr, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

How much did you open it, Mine isn't very open.
    I think it just bounces it out the back at the wall then around you. Worked quite well in a 15x14 room. It takes some of the bass sounds like 5 - 10% if you have someone open and close it while your playing. It sounds less muddy/muffled out, not a lot, the most noticeable thing was that the sound fills the room with a wider soundstage.

I have velcro stuck to the back panel from when I tried adding some batting, didn't change the characteristics of the closed box much at all.

2. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

Same here. I can't figure out which way is better (maybe it just doesn't matter?).

It would be nice if it was programmed like a tube amp, ie: turn up the volume to overdrive the "tubes" and adjust the MV for overall volume, but the manual says the Plexi, Bluesbreaker, and the JCM800 are already overdriven.

I set up the JTM45 with ODR and the EL34 power amp and it sounds pretty good. There was some serious bass to it but that was easily EQ'd out. Same with the DSL - ODR'd clean for some good crunch.

But which is "better"? low V/high MV, or cranked V/low MV? Maybe it is different for each amp.

3. Elliot Twist

Elliot Twist Active Member

@stw500 What I was trying to say when I said "Load doesn't really matter" is that since the CODE 50 is solid state it's not frightful to use an 8 ohm or 16 ohm speaker. The CODE 50 is apparently 4 Ohm since the stock speaker is 4 Ohm. That quote was concerning the speaker swap. As far as cranking up the master volume, I feel that the CODE 50 sounds unusable when it's turned down low. Also I made an edit to the confusing statement "at 9 O'clock or the next line up" I deleted the words "or the next line up"
    As far as only getting a 6db reduction, I know that's not much at all, but I'll take anything I can get.
    I'm NOT giving up on the Marshall CODE 50.
    I'll try the different external speakers this weekend. I tried keeping the preset Volume knob down low and raising the master volume. It helped with the too much bass issue a tiny bit. Not so much help with the too much volume for an apartment issue. Except for too much bass for my taste, I can certainly say the CODE 50 sounds real good at the louder volumes I've been mentioning. The stock internal speaker is very overwhelmed with bass. Way too much. It think Marshall had a thought there as of the 12" speaker almost sounds like the 4X12 cabs the processor is modeling. I guess that's a gallant effort at modeling.

OK, also here's some items I'm going to look into : (I'll always post my findings here)

I think I'm going to either buy these parts and build a Speaker Soak or simply buy the one Carl has already made.
    I'll be trying to leave the stock speaker intact as long as I can, but I want the CODE 50 to be convenient, and I don't wish to haul around an external cab all the time. It there was more of an EQ section to use in getting rid of all this extra bass then things would be easier for me.
    http://carlscustomguitars.com/Speak...lume-attenuator-Speaker-Soak.htm?productId=17

http://www.instructables.com/id/Guitar-Amp-power-soak/

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-l-pad-attenuator-100w-mono-1-shaft-8-ohm--260-265
    http://www.parts-express.com/parts-...ttenuator-100w-mono-3-8-shaft-16-ohm--260-261

4. stw500

stw500 Member

Thanks for your explanations and your efforts to find a good solution. The speaker soak sounds interesting although I thought this was the reason to develop a master volume?!

5. Elliot Twist

Too many amps don't sound right when the master volume is down below one. Some tube amps especially the Marshall Class 5 are said to utilize the power stage for much of the overdrive. Even if it had an FX Loop and you could choke it there the desired results wouldn't be achieved. Thank goodness my 100 watt Marshall DSL100H isn't so fussy. My Marshall DSL5C, Blackstar HT-5R, and Peavey Vyper, aren't fussy like this either.
    The other guitarist in our band plays a Mesa Dual Rectifier and he clams that it must absolutely be turned up loud even at rehearsal or it doesn't sound right. I think he's just saying that so he can sound like a thunderstorm. It's those Mesa guys. The CODE 50 is a great amp I like it very much. I'm glad that when I'm ready to have it loud that it will be right on game. But I'm not 23 anymore and I like things to sound great at a low volume. If I was 23 I would have the amp turned up half way all the time and I'd be comfortable with that.

This weekend I'll try to start a new thread targeted at this Volume and too much bass situation concerning the Marshall CODE 50. I feel I've hijacked this thread that's supposed to be about "Patch" Sharing. Sorry.
    I'll copy and paste my text from here to the new thread. My apology to mazzefr.

6. mazzefr

mazzefr Well-Known Member

No worries @Elliot Twist , this thread strayed from it's intent long ago and I've all but abandoned it.

7. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

@Elliot Twist

I thought the Code 50 sounded ok at low volumes, but only if you set the volume in an editor. The Pots on my code seem to taper off suddenly and low volumes below 1 don't really register at all. If they do it's around 0.9 where they seem very thin.

I can still get it to sound reasonable with master vol around 1 (where the loudness kicks in) and then use an editor to set the EQ volume between 0.1 and 0.9

If you only use the physical controls then getting any sound below 1.0 is practically impossible.

8. stw500

stw500 Member

True, it is possible to play the code quiet. But I got the feeling that when you turn the volume lower than 1 there is a lower crunch and a different tone as it is when turned up higher. Volume at 3 or 4 sounds better in my ears. Perhaps the differences are smaller when playing only clean. Would you mind trying out again?

https://my.marshall.com/forum/quest...-of-my-code's-master-volume?filterType=recent

https://my.marshall.com/forum/question/510/code-25.-set-master-volume-by-software?filterType=recent

https://my.marshall.com/forum/question/508/code-50-volume-control?filterType=recent

https://my.marshall.com/forum/question/370/code-50-master-volume-issue?filterType=recent

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  9. Elliot Twist

@mazzefr Ok I won't start a new thread. Although this thread concerning "Patch" Sharing has value.
    @Antmax I'll try using an editor to reduce the volume, but I'm not sure what you mean by "EQ volume"
    There's a Channel Volume and a Master Volume, but I haven't discovered an EQ volume.

10. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I guess that's the channel volume. I just call all 5 knob to the left of Master Volume the EQ knobs.

11. Elliot Twist

OK folks I don't have a lot of good news to report about testing different speakers and Ohm loads.
    I wired in some interesting and technical Jacks to the speaker signal. So that I was able to try my 1X12 Vintage 30 cab 16 Ohms. And also the 2X12 cab I have here with two Seventy/80's in it. 16 Ohms each. That cab allowed testing an 8 Ohm load with two speakers, a 32 Ohm load with two speakers, and a single 16 Ohm Seventy/80.
    The 16 Ohm 1X12 Vintage 30 cab sounded decent. The single 16 Ohm Seventy/80 sounded good. The overwhelming bass of the stock internal speaker was cured by using the 16 Ohm 1X12 Vintage 30 cab, but I feel that the tone was mechanical and somewhat screechy. Probably due to doing all this at a very low volume..
    I didn't get a huge volume reduction running 16 Ohms. When I tested 32 Ohms on the 2X12 cab there wasn't a huge volume reduction there either. The same 2X12 cab switched to 8 Ohms was very loud. I was keen about the fact that alternate speakers reduced the overwhelming bass of the stock internal speaker. But the trade off was the increase in a "fizzy" mechanical sound. Remember that I did this testing with respect to low volume. I'm certain that the V30 would have sounded great cranked up, as well as the 2X12 cab with Seventy/80's in it.
    I think the CODE 50 is what it is, and I've grown tired of fighting with it. Marshall did a great job with the amp and the choice they made for the internal speaker makes sense. It's OK. I just don't like so much bass.
    I'm happy with it, and I can get it to sound plenty good. I do think I'll experiment with the back of the amp removed or at least open. If I start to like it I'll make part of or half of the back removable. I also believe that using an amp stand will help my taste for reducing the overwhelming bass from the stock internal speaker.

12. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Matt Jackson did a decent comparison review of the WGS alternative to the Vintage 30 in their Veteran 30.

If you have a Equalizer pedal you can fiddle with the bands below 150hz including the sub bass to and remove some of the boxiness approaching the mids. they usually have a volume and/or gain slider that might be useful.

I think a half open back should work. Mines currently too open. If you have it on the floor, raising it might help too. I have mine is about 2 feet up mostly to stop puppies chewing it, but it does help reduce some of the bass.

I'm thinking of replacing the thin MDF particle board back with a couple of hardwood panels to see if makes it more solid and tightens up the bass. The way mine is now is a little too open with more sound coming out the back.

13. stw500

stw500 Member

When the code is at ear level and directed to ear is is to bright and got to much middle tones to sound good. Placed on the floor and not directed to the audience is sounds much warmer and relaxed. To the question open or not I am still testing.

@Elliot Twist
    Like I told before it depends on the dbA of the speaker not only ohm. A 16 ohm speaker maybe louder than a 8 ohm just because it's factory dbA level (efficiency) is higher. Look at the technical details of the speaker, could be interesting what is to be found there.

14. Elliot Twist

@Antmax I saw that video concerning the WGS Veteran 30 before I bought the CODE 50. I was already asking myself why do I or we need to change stock speakers as soon as we buy gear. Just why ? Having said that I have 4 Jensen JCH 12-70 4 ohm speakers available here. Instead of spending money on a replacement speaker I'll try one of the Jensen JCH 12-70 4 ohm speakers. I figure that will be worth a shot. There's enough on Google about this Jensen to merit trying it. I took them out of a 4X12 cab I customized with two V30's and two G12-K100's. I still have them, just couldn't bring myself to get rid of them, now I'm glad I kept 'em. Thanks for the suggestion of an external EQ. I actually have a mono 31 band rack-mount EQ that I use on the FX Loop of the EVH 5150 III 1X12 Combo. I couldn't bring myself at this time to put one in the chain of the CODE 50 unless it was on an FX Loop (maybe later).
    @stw500 The CODE 50 does certainly sound better when you're not right on top of it. Last week I took the CODE 50 out of the apartment and to the bands rehearsal space where I could turn it up. It was that moment that I knew the CODE 50 is a great amp. I'm just not a fan of the extra bass that comes from the stock speaker. Even Matt Jackson mentions immediately in that YouTube video"Marshall CODE 50 Upgrade" the undesired sound concerning the bass of the stock speaker.
    I said it once I'll say it again I won't give up on the CODE 50. The price wasn't way too high, and it will sound fine.
    The EVH 5150 III 1X12 Combo cost $1300 and I have never gotten it to sound great with the band, but it sounds cool at home alone. I have no problem with the Marshall DSL100H or DSL5C, or Vyper 30, or Blackstar HT-5R.
    I like the POD HD500, and RP360XP, even the V-Amp 2, so I took a chance on the CODE 50. Marshall did a good job, I'm just not getting used to it as fast as anything else I ever purchased. I get disappointed if I have to MOD anything as soon as I buy it. Like adding an EQ or changing the stock speaker.
    I'll post back here later after I replace the Stock speaker with a Jensen JCH 12-70 4 ohm speaker.
    I must have nothing better to do. :wallbash: LoL ! Apparently none of us do. :facepalm:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Antmax likes this.
  15. Elliot Twist

I replaced the Stock internal speaker with a Jensen JCH 12-70 4 ohm speaker. I'm leaving it in and putting the stock speaker in a cardboard storage box. The overwhelming bass (to my ears) of the stock speaker is gone. I already think the CODE 50 sounds better. I can say I like the Jensen better than the Stock speaker.
    Here's a few quotes from the Net concerning the Jensen JCH 12-70 speaker :
    "The MOD 12-70 is loud, dynamic, and well defined. It has a defined warm crunch response to overdrive distortion."
    "Jensen Chicago Series in the USA known as MOD.
    The CH 12-70 is loud, dynamic, and well defined.
    It has a defined warm crunch response to overdrive distortion."
    "This particular version of the MOD series is noted for a relatively uncolored response making it ideal as an upgrade or addition to modeling amps."
    "I know that it was developed for modeling amps"
    "It doesn't have particularly flat response, isn't hi-fi. At the same time, the bass isn't muddy or overbearing, and the top end isn't harsh. There's a definite bump in the lower mids, and it works surprisingly well. The treble seems to assert itself a bit higher than a standard guitar speaker, which allows it to stay crisp, from clean tones all the way into raunch. I couldn't get a harsh note out of it.
    If I had to choose 3 terms, they would be tight, crisp, and defined. And they'd apply to clean and overdriven tones."
    I tried a few presets at very very low volume, turned down the Presence, turned off the Gate, raised the Bass and even added some Resonance. I would have never raised Bass or Resonance at any volume with the stock speaker. I don't necessarily detect any great "fizzy" mechanical sound. That's a plus. A 16 Ohm V30 in a 1X12 cab didn't sound so well.
    My Jensen JCH 12-70 4 ohm speaker doesn't have the large letters MOD on it mine looks like this one. I think my Jensen speaker is fairly old, and the newer ones have the large MOD on them. They seem to cost just as much as the WGS Veteran 30. Fortunately I already have four of the Jensen speakers laying around. Now I'm watching out the window for the neighbor to go away since it's only 8am. By noon they'll be part of the test of louder volumes.
    It's very possible that Matt Jackson's YouTube video"Marshall CODE 50 Upgrade" is worth consideration. I'm still disappointed if I have to MOD anything as soon as I buy it. Like adding an EQ or changing the stock speaker. :pissed:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Antmax likes this.
  16. langmurf

langmurf Active Member

I have an offer out on a used 50 on CL. If it works out, I will not be swapping speakers. Not saying that's a bad idea... just saying not my thing. Might've been a couple of years ago... but my gear fund is pretty much nonexistent these days. If I do get the 50, I'll def be selling my L6 Amplifi 75 for whatever I can get for it.

17. transfix

transfix New Member

Anyone have settings for Slash's "Sweet Child o Mine" sound?

18. mazzefr

mazzefr Well-Known Member

There are a few on the Marshall website now.

transfix likes this.
  19. neTp0Bu4

neTp0Bu4 Member

Trying my Slash AFD preset

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Solid State likes this.
  20. Elliot Twist

Ever since I replaced the Stock internal speaker with a Jensen JCH 12-70 4 ohm speaker I've had a great experience with the CODE 50. I'll eventually get a 4 Ohm WGS Veteran 30 and put in in, but the Jensen has me feeling no hurry.
    I installed and saved the patches shared by Matt Jackson. I've linked them here for use with the PC editor @ marshallcode.tools and included a notepad file of the settings. The patches sound good.