Marshall/Celestion G12 Vintage Differences?

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Marshall 1936V cabinet which has the Marshall branded V30's in it and it sounds awesome! I also have what I think/thought were the same speakers, but could they be different? They are currently in my standard 1936 cab (which is all plywood).

1936V: On the cone it's stamped W14 444. The sticker reads: Celestion, T3897B, G12 Vintage, 16ohm, Made in UK and in the right hand corner LC28

On the other Marshall G12 Vintage speakers in question: 444 smudged code on the cone, and on the rim: 16 ohms (very big) and also: 23GGT3897/03.

The big magnet stickers look identical: G12, 16 ohm, Vintage by Celestion, Ipswitch...

I'm hoping someone can help. The speakers in the 1936V sound better to me. At first I thought it was because of my standard 1936 cab possibly being inferior to the 1936V, but it does not have MDF, it's all ply. This is what I've found after further investigation.

I'll try to post some pics asap. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Is the 1936V all ply? Or does it have an MDF back?

Slight differences in speakers from batch to batch are pretty common I think.

Then there's aging and break in.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
It would be a lot of work but swap speakers and that would tell you if it's the cabs or the speakers.

Or just swap backs to eliminate that.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score

1936V is all ply.

Understood, but I'm trying to see if there are differnces between these two speakers based on the codes/info. Thanks!

It would be a lot of work but swap speakers and that would tell you if it's the cabs or the speakers.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that lol.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
1936V is all ply.

Understood, but I'm trying to see if there are differnces between these two speakers based on the codes/info. Thanks!

The speakers in the 1936V sound more open, better grind, brighter, maybe even a little louder? Those are definitely broken in. I'm not sure if the others are broken in or not. And not that they sound bad by any means, just suprisingly different (not dramatically different either) than the ones in the 1936V which I think/thought are the same speakers.

Last edited:

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
1936V speakers

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSB3t-vNMqhyPLz1roFVBWUJ5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSCMi9L-VNCRGoqkQCDvdf8raAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSDGyhnX5j1QqHWkB2WPlpklVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

And here is the other one in question:

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSA1xHnSEUrPYwLcxI9M-a_iaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSC_Rtn5m6zYFuMTPf9xcXqfV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSBCyxdIJE3aP6u5Zn7OHNmmqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

Last edited:

MatFnEhUK

Reaction score
Check out this YouTube video. I found it pretty convincing. Basically they’re suggesting that v30’s from certain years sound better than other years. Maybe it applies to the Marshall branded versions as well.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Check out this YouTube video. I found it pretty convincing. Basically they’re suggesting that v30’s from certain years sound better than other years. Maybe it applies to the Marshall branded versions as well.

It’s my understanding that the G12 Vintage and the V30 are not the same speakers. I’m not sure how they differ, Celestion doesn’t even list the specs on their site. It has been suggested that the G12 Vintage is made specially for Marshall to their specs and sounds different than a V30.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
It’s my understanding that the G12 Vintage and the V30 are not the same speakers. I’m not sure how they differ, Celestion doesn’t even list the specs on their site. It has been suggested that the G12 Vintage is made specially for Marshall to their specs and sounds different than a V30.

These particular spec speakers are Marshall proprietary Vintage 30 created for Marshall in 1986. You cannot buy them as after-market, only with Marshall cabs that have them with a V as the suffix - 1936V, 1960AV, 1960BV, etc.

vinceB

Reaction score
Jumping in on this thread hoping for some advice. I just picked up 1960AV 16 ohm cab dated 1996. I paid $200 for it but the bottom two speakers are shredded. I have two Chinese made V30s but they are 8 ohm so I replaced all four speakers by using those and two Classic Lead 80s and wired it 8 ohm with a single input. (It sounds pretty good this way) I would like to return it to its stock configuration though. Are the stock speakers worth reconing or should I just replace them?

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
These particular spec speakers are Marshall proprietary Vintage 30 created for Marshall in 1986. You cannot buy them as after-market, only with Marshall cabs that have them with a V as the suffix - 1936V, 1960AV, 1960BV, etc.
Right. I have a 1936v and I have 2 fifteen year old V30’s. They’re supposed to be different but I struggle to hear that much difference between them.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Swap them out. This might be the only way to tell if the difference is in the cabs or in the speakers.

I would bet it is the cabs that sound different.

I know, you're right and it would be the only way to truly know. However, I'm one to leave well enough alone. Again, I was hoping that someone would know based on the facts and pics. My assumption is that the other ones are probably older, but same spec. I still may swap them out at some point.

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Marshall 1936V cabinet which has the Marshall branded V30's in it and it sounds awesome! I also have what I think/thought were the same speakers, but could they be different? They are currently in my standard 1936 cab (which is all plywood).

1936V: On the cone it's stamped W14 444. The sticker reads: Celestion, T3897B, G12 Vintage, 16ohm, Made in UK and in the right hand corner LC28

On the other Marshall G12 Vintage speakers in question: 444 smudged code on the cone, and on the rim: 16 ohms (very big) and also: 23GGT3897/03.

The big magnet stickers look identical: G12, 16 ohm, Vintage by Celestion, Ipswitch...

I'm hoping someone can help. The speakers in the 1936V sound better to me. At first I thought it was because of my standard 1936 cab possibly being inferior to the 1936V, but it does not have MDF, it's all ply. This is what I've found after further investigation.

I'll try to post some pics asap. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Marshall Vintage G12 is a 70 watt speaker. It has a very large magnet, very different than the Vintage 30. If you have an opportunity do a search in the forum, I have a post here on it, I also have sound clips of one stack with the Marshall Vintage G12 against a stack loaded with Vintage 30's. Both are amazing but my go stack is loaded with these Marshall Vintage G12's.

Vintage 30's = 60 Wattts
Marshall Vintage by Celestion = 70 watts

Dr. Decibel at Celestion is great at responding to emails, Dr Decibel Archive - Celestion. Thats how I learned about my mine, if you need additional information he can most certainly help. Also, if @BygoneTones see this he can help, another amazing resource on all things Celestion.

Bygone Tones - Vintage Guitar Speakers & Cabinets

Last edited: