Marshall Cabs, Vintage speakers or Cab?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by zoso7227, Sep 16, 2014.

1. zoso7227

zoso7227 New Member

I'm looking for a pretty vintage tone, just like many people. Hoping to eventually get a new cab or speakers. I currently have a 1960 BX cab probably from the 90's. Just wondering if the basketweave front makes much of a difference, or if it's mainly the speakers that makes the difference. I was thinking of changing the speakers but it seems to find a pair of four by themselves is a pain. Any insight?

2. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The BX cabs have greenbacks in 'em (unless someone changed them out)! Granted they are not vintage but that is a nice cab. It depends on the tone you are looking for.

3. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

What sort of vintage, any era or stack style?

4. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

The early Greenback reissues in your cab sound great. I have a set in a 1995 Classic cab.
    They sound different than all the 70's versions, but hold their own very well.

I have an original basketweave, and honestly, I prefer my checkerboard cabs.

With the same speakers, the check cabs have more high end and sparkle to them.

It would be easy to swap your grill cloth, but you may find the same thing.

Unless you are willing to spend $1200+ for a clean, nice set of pulsonic cone greenbacks, pre 1973....or $800-900 for some 70's blackbacks, the speakers you have now are almost in the same league as the latter, and quite good!
    NOTHING sounds like the old Pulsonic cones, period...but some prefer the edge and bite of the reissues or the blackbacks...

You have a great sounding cab.

5. 3Pickup

3Pickup New Member

I have a 1974 superlead with 25 watt creamback 25 watters, they do the job very nicely, lots of crunch, and probably less expensive than greenbacks.

6. Joshabr1

Joshabr1 Well-Known Member

If u want the sound u describe. Pulsonic coned greenbacks are the ticket. Like sound boy said nothing sounds like them. They have a musical quality I haven't heard in new speakers. Some do come close but not the same in my book at all.

7. 66SuperTremolo

66SuperTremolo Active Member

Sanlitun Soho - Beijing & Kowloon, Hong Kong
    I don't know about Vintage Tone but I have a bunch of old greenback T1221 003 coned spkrs and they are so warm and woody sounding over New speakers. The formula to make those cones was lost in the fire that burnt down the factory back then. But there are some great sounding replicas that come very close - Scumback are very nice.