Marshall 4 x12 vs Hiwatt 4 x 12 inputs

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by jupiter89, Jan 12, 2015.

1. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

I am a Marshall guy ( have 1960AV and 1960AX cabinets ). I get it when it comes to understanding the 1960AV connections : move switch to mono and connect speaker cable from amp's 16ohm setting by plugging it in the speaker's input on the right SIDE that has 16ohm labeled on top of it.

With that said, I do have a Hiwatt 4 X 12 model SE 4123 cabinet which has two unlabeled input jacks. So, now I am clueless on this one !

So here are the possibilities but which is right ???
    1. can like the 1960AV, the cabinet be stereo in which case 2 inputs from the amp are needed, But, there is NO SWITCH to select the option! So if you want mono (which I always do) just one input needed ?

2. just one cable from the amp, the other input is for connection to another 4 X 12 (sort of doubt this, in a stack doesn't each cab have its separate connection from the amp and NOT one speaker to the other ?)

3. this speaker cabinet requires 2 cables for the amp, one in each input - probably no

I cannot find an answer on the net (no discussions or manual) about what the purpose of the 2 input jacks are for, and the cabinet is no longer on Hiwatt's website. I e-mailed them but still awaiting an answer.

[​IMG]

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

open it up to see how it's wired. I bet it's a daisy chain throughput (parallel) for another cab... (#2 above)

general rule of thumb - whenever you buy a cab. always test it to make sure everything's working properly & confirm load (ohms). It'll save you a lot of trouble.

SG~GUY likes this.
  3. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Can you show us how it is wired in relation to the 4 speakers and the jack?

4. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is the diagram. 2 parallel jacks.

Ken

5. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

I don't have a wiring diagram, but a sketch I made a while back instead. I didn't indicate though "+" and "-" on the speakers - hope it will still be of help.

[​IMG]

jack daniels likes this.
  6. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Is your hand drawn wiring diagram taken from a Hiwatt 4x12" cabinet loaded with purple back Fane 12" speakers? Reason I ask is that I have a Hiwatt 4x12" cabinet in storage wired to 4 Ohms, and I need to restore it back to 16 Ohms. BTW, I can't (legibly) see the + and - terminals of your connections.

7. GIBSON67

Your speaker jacks are in parallel, so the extra jack is for chaining together another cab.

SG~GUY likes this.
  8. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

The Hiwatt 4 X 12 cabinet model SE 4163 is rated at 16 ohms and yes, it has 4 12" Fane speakers with the purple labels. I could kick myself for not writing in + and - on the sketch ! This is such an incredible cabinet. I wonder why it is no longer offered on Hiwatt's website. With good reason, I want to make sure to connect this cabinet properly to the '78 Hiwatt 50W head ! It was kind of lame for them not to label the cabinet speaker inputs.

9. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

Ah 2 votes for #2 lol. Instead of chaining 1 cabinet to another as you say can be done with this Hiwatt cabinet, with a Marshall in a stack doesn't each cabinet get it own amp-speaker connection ?

10. GIBSON67

Yes, each 16 ohm cab can be used together with 2 output jacks on the back of a Marshall set to 8 ohms.

Or You could just run a speaker cable to the 16 ohm Hiwatt cab, and then run another speaker cable to the 16 ohm Marshall cab...but still use the 8 ohm tap on the amp.

stalefish likes this.
  11. danman

danman Active Member

Yes, you could run two 16ohm cabs from two separate output jacks on a Marshall with the head set to 8ohms, or just chain the second cab from the first with the head set for 8ohms.

Edit; Sorry, I was typing at the same time as Gibson67.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  12. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

Actually found a picture when back of cabinet was open ! Without a diagram or schematic can you tell from the photo how it is wired ? I'm clueless in that regard lol[​IMG]

13. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

The diagram I posted is how a Hiwatt is wired.

Ken

14. jupiter89

jupiter89 Active Member

Thanks Ken for that diagram - I followed it and compared to my picture and sketch it made sense. Only bit that is confusing though is that it says IN and OUT on it. Nevertheless, I now know I can plug a speaker cable into either input, amp set at 16ohm.

GIBSON67 you correct when you said "speaker jacks are in parallel, so the extra jack is for chaining together another cab." Mark Huss the Hiwatt expert said exactly the same :
    "That looks like the two jacks are connected in parallel. Therefore, you can use either one. It makes no difference. Companies will put two jacks in a speaker cabinet so that it's easy to daisy chain two or more cabinets."

All comments greatly appreciated !

15. jack daniels

Thanks jupiter89 and Ken, I'll refer back to this thread when I rewire my Hiwatt cab. :yesway:

16. GIBSON67

Nice cabs and speakers, btw!

17. jack daniels

I'm starting on re-wiring my vintage HiWatt 4x12" cab back to 16 Ohms from 4 Ohms which I wired years ago for a Fender Showman head.

My cabinet has one speaker jack that is white plastic with two connections. Can anyone here tell me which is hot and which is ground. I'm guessing it's a 72' cabinet from the speaker codes. Thanks in advance. :yesway:

18. jack daniels

Never mind...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0[/ame]

19. jack daniels

Well I found out that my HIWATT 4x12" cab is a 72' which I didn't know before plus it has the 50 watt Fane 122412 speakers. Woohoo!

20. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

a meter is a must have for every musician with a tool box,..

the old style meter with the needle is actually your best bet, not only could you buy a used one with accessories,..-(like an amp clamp)- but the quality will be better than an equally priced digital meter....

the reason I prefer a needle meter is because there great at checking cap's out,..put it on 10k ohm range, put your meter across both terminals of the capacitor in question,..if the cap is good the needle will rise then fall back to zero,..switch your leads around and the needle will do the same thing,..

digital meters are great,..but it's easier to see needle sweep as opposed to a decimal point move around between a bunch of 8's

GIBSON67 likes this.