Marshall 2525c Attenuator recommendations

inexile

Reaction score
I just ordered a Marshall Silver mini Jubilee 2525c combo and was looking into getting an attenuator but kinda lost as to which one to get and which one would be compatible.
Ive been using a JHS Little Black Box for my current amp (DSL1CR) but definitely want to upgrade from that for the 2525c.

Can anyone recommend a compatible good sounding attenuator for the 2525c?

Ive been looking at the Two Note Captor X as the IR feature looks kinda neat in addition to the attenuator.

Also been considering the Tone King Iron Man II but not sure if I need to go with the Full Feature version or if the Iron Man II mini would suffice.

Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

ken361

Reaction score
You don't need one imo I had one. Can't remember exactly but I think I cranked the output all the way and it was very similar to the amp cranked and I cranked it often.

Dan myers

Reaction score
Agree with Ken361,
Especially if you use it on the lead channel
Most of the time.Set the output master on 7 or above and use the lead master as your master volume this way it gets the power amp section into the tone.That’s the sweet spot with this amp imo.If you choose to use the clean channel a lot then I could see the point of the attenuator.I’m not a fan of the 5 watt setting I use it in 20 watt only.Good luck and enjoy your new jube!

LoudStroud

Reaction score
Agree with all those above. You won’t need one for this little amp.

However, as far as inexpensive and effective power attenuators go, the new Harley Benton PA – 250 power attenuator is pretty remarkable. Shipped to your door from Thomann Music retailer in Germany for around $180. It’s a resistive type with plenty of attenuation levels and sounds really good. Like all attenuators there’s a slight bit of tonal loss as you really drop to really low volumes, but it still remains very real sounding with great feel and dynamic punch retained. I use it with my smaller combo amps for practice, including my SV20C 4-input 110 combo.

They also have a smaller unit, the PA-100, that I have not heard. Sells for $66! Based on the performance of the larger unit, I would think you’d have a good results using with a smaller amp. But for anything 50 or 100 W, I’d go with the PA – 250.

I’ve tried a whole slew of attenuators over recent years throughout the past and this one is one of the two at the top of my list.

The current mac daddy is the Fryette Power Station. That would be overkill for your needs though. But just giving it props.

LoudStroud

Reaction score
Also you mentioned the Captor X. I have one on the way, possibly to be using for live applications. But the current CaptorX only has one level of attenuation, a significant 20 DB cut. Likely not what you’re looking for, as far as attenuators go.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
I
Also you mentioned the Captor X. I have one on the way, possibly to be using for live applications. But the current CaptorX only has one level of attenuation, a significant 20 DB cut. Likely not what you’re looking for, as far as attenuators go.
ive built the attenuator from the link i posted for half the price and no tonal/feel loss.

tincbtrar

Reaction score
Weber mini mass for me, have one each for the 2525h and Sv20h.

I don’t agree that one is not needed for my purposes, but I could see where the argument could be made.

TW is a good dude to interact with too.

faerdi

Reaction score
The Iron Man II is a fantastic device. The „mini“ as well as the big one. I have and use both. The mini just supports 8 Ohms in/output, but the big one is much more expensive. Soundwise i don‘t notice any difference. I mainly use them with my SV20.

HAKAN ANSEN

Reaction score
I use Iron Man II Mini with my 2525c. Mini supports 8ohm and the combo comes with 16ohm greenback so you need to change the speaker. I play at home only so Mini is definitely great for that.

inexile

Reaction score
The Iron Man II is a fantastic device. The „mini“ as well as the big one. I have and use both. The mini just supports 8 Ohms in/output, but the big one is much more expensive. Soundwise i don‘t notice any difference. I mainly use them with my SV20.
thx, i wasnt
I use Iron Man II Mini with my 2525c. Mini supports 8ohm and the combo comes with 16ohm greenback so you need to change the speaker. I play at home only so Mini is definitely great for that.
thx for that, was so confused about the 8ohm vs 16ohm.
Think ill pick up the non mini Ironman II.

Joves

Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and get the Fryette PS100 or PS2… they’re incredible and you can switch ohm’s, just like on the Ironman. I have the Ironman Mini also, which is awesome, but the PS100 is amazing and the last attenuator I can see myself needing.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no shortage of options out there that’s for sure. Depends on your budget for this piece of equipment. There are some great choices if you have a big budget, some of these are more costly than the amps they service.

One of the best value for the money imo is what @tincbtrar suggested, a Weber Minimass 50. It’s around $180 and it’s hand made in the US, one by one as the orders come in. It has options for 16 ohm or 8 ohm, it has a treble booster if needed to restore any lost high end.

I’ve owned one for quite a while, I use it with my Studio amp, SC20, and it works great and it sounds great! Check out the reviews on the Minimass, there’s virtually a 100% positive reviews.